• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Signature Literary Agency (formerly Ellen Pepus L.A.)

Vultural

Registered
Reaction score
Recently queried Amy Tipton. Responded a day later with a gracious decline.

Wizera

MG/YA Author and Playwright
Registered
Reaction score
Queried Amy Tipton yesterday with an urban fantasy MG. Heard back from her this morning with a request for the first 100 pages.

Excited!!

Wizera

MG/YA Author and Playwright
Registered
Reaction score
...and rejection on the partial this morning. It was personalized.

Kayley

Someday.
Registered
Reaction score
Got a R from Amy Tipton today with this comment:

"*This was a difficult decision--I'm sorry not to read. I am overloaded right now and not taking new stuff, sorry."

Just a heads-up to other queriers: though she isn't officially closed to queries, it seems she's limiting her requests for now.

Chumplet

This hat is getting too hot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chumpletwrites.blogspot.com
I queried my YA to Amy a couple of years ago with no response. Today, on Facebook, one of her authors mentioned her and I commented I hadn't received an answer to my query. No hard feelings, I was just sad about it.

Amy immediately jumped on and apologized for not having responded! I queried at her suggestion and she asked for another 100 pages. I'm so glad this happened.

Chumplet

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Amy got back to me just now (email was from "yamantha" so I'm not sure if these were Amy's words or not.

Anyway, there were OMGs in there, and "love", but the actual time period of the novel came into question. Seventies fiction is still stuck somewhere between historical and contemporary. Plus, they are trying to sell another Seventies book.

So, it was a pass, even though they loved the writing.

DAMN!

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
This is a long shot, but does she know any other agents who might be interested? I'd ask, without being too much a pest about it.

Agents love great books, they wouldn't be in this business otherwise. They also talk to each other. If this group loved your book *that* much, they might be willing to help it along.

Chumplet

Registered
Reaction score
Website
I offered a thank you, but didn't press further. The 70s are slowly becoming a thing, so I'll concentrate on my other books for now, and hope there will be a spot for this book later. Thanks, Filigree!

Tromboli

Hopelessly Hopeful
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staceytrombley.com
Keep an eye out on Amy's Tumblr account (I don't believe she's on other social media) because she just ran a pitch contest. It was just for a few specific genres in YA but winners in each category won a full critique! I entered and didn't win but she requested 50 pages anyway :)

Vivairi

Imposter Syndrome and Black Tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bittybooknook.blogspot.com
Has anyone heard anything from this agency recently? I'd really like to add Amy Tipton to my query list, but their "Latest News" on their website only goes up to May 2016--as in, they haven't seemed to post any updates for the entire year of 2017, which is a little worrying to me.

zmethos

from words to worlds
Registered
Reaction score
Website
mpepperlanglinais.com
I queried Amy Tipton last month and received a very nice rejection in which she stated that although this particular manuscript didn't seem like a fit for her, she'd be interested in reading the one I'm working on now if I don't find representation before then (longish story, but the two are connected yet both stand-alone novels).

zmethos

from words to worlds
Registered
Reaction score
Website
mpepperlanglinais.com
Well, today I received an email from Amy Tipton saying she's leaving agenting to start an editorial service. The email was phrased so as to sound personal--"I keep thinking about you/your work and I am sad we never got to work together"--but I suspected it was sent to all her prior queriers, and per QT that seems to be the case.

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
I got the same exact email, word for word. I think it's really tacky of her to do this. I guess the agent thing didn't work out for her.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Well, today I received an email from Amy Tipton saying she's leaving agenting to start an editorial service. The email was phrased so as to sound personal--"I keep thinking about you/your work and I am sad we never got to work together"--but I suspected it was sent to all her prior queriers, and per QT that seems to be the case.

I got the same exact email, word for word. I think it's really tacky of her to do this. I guess the agent thing didn't work out for her.

This pisses me off more than Cedar Fort's misleading e-mail subject for their vanity press.

This is deliberately phrased to sound personalized and give authors hope that their novel struck a chord with her, when it's really just a mass e-mail. As unprofessional as it is for both her and CF to mass e-mail all authors who have submitted to them (within a given time, perhaps? I last queried her in 2010, and didn't receive one), sending it in a way to make authors believe that she wishes she could have represented them is cruel and manipulative.

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
This pisses me off more than Cedar Fort's misleading e-mail subject for their vanity press.

This is deliberately phrased to sound personalized and give authors hope that their novel struck a chord with her, when it's really just a mass e-mail. As unprofessional as it is for both her and CF to mass e-mail all authors who have submitted to them (within a given time, perhaps? I last queried her in 2010, and didn't receive one), sending it in a way to make authors believe that she wishes she could have represented them is cruel and manipulative.

Exactly.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Shortly thereafter, website was stripped to a single page -- removing any mention of Ms. Pepus, too. Anyone have recent contact?