• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Looking for co-author/writing buddy for YA contemporary romance/mystery

Status
Not open for further replies.

ALEXA2014

Registered
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm looking for a co-author for a YA romance/mystery, contemporary.

I have the first draft of the first 5 pages. And the whole story in mind, but of course if I find a co-writer we both write and come up with ideas.

I'll give all details on email.
Please contact me at
clairealexandra1 at gmaildotcom

I would like a co-writer who wants like me to write a good novel that gets a good agent who will get a 6 figures advance from a good publishing house. Well, a girl can hope, right?

I'm not a published author yet, and I'm serious about co-writing, we make a contract.

Please, contact me at the gmail above. Thanks.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
ALEXA, you're asking a great deal, which is likely to get you very little interest. People are rarely eager to write or co-write someone else's idea for no payment, or the promise of a payment when and if the work sells. Six-figure advances are imaginary.

Maryn, hoping you stick around and get fired up to write it yourself

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, Alexa!

As Maryn noted, most writers have a zillion more ideas than they ever have time to write them. Learning the craft of writing is the hard part -- conventional wisdom says it takes ten years and/or a million words of writing to 'get there'. And once someone has got good at it they've likely got a shedload of story ideas to choose from.

Sometimes co-writers do team up, but they're usually at the same stage in their career. New writers might do it for fun and to learn from each other; established writers do it to cross genres or boost sales. But, nearly always, co-writers have first established a strong relationship before they contract to write together.

And, of course, most authors are lucky if they get a $5000 - $10,000 advance for their debut novels. So maybe your aspirations are a bit unrealistic!

I'd suggest hanging around Absolute Write, and getting involved in the critiquing workshops here (in Share Your Work). Writing critiques is hands-down the best way to improve your own writing, and once you've participated more around here and people get to know you, there's a better chance that people will put their hand up to work with you and help you out. Give it a try!

ALEXA2014

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, both.

Of course I was almost sure I'd scare some people off mentioning my 6 figures advance wish.

I just said that because it's important to get an ambitious co-writer, to do the best we can together. Maybe we don't get that deal, but we do everything that we can and we do land a good contract.

I have heard of debut books that got a great deal.

Okay, so anybody interested, please do contact me.

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
Co-writing really isn't something you want to sign up to with a random person on the internet. Especially not with no idea about the project, or if goals and ideals mesh up, etc. A co-writer is generally going to be someone you fall into such a relationship with naturally, because you critique each other's stuff and realise you've got compatible writing styles.

Often people ask for a co-writer because they think it'll be easier or it'll make it more fun. But if you're not co-writing with the right person (and a random person who says yes to this sort of posting is highly unlikely to be that person) it'll be the reverse. It'll turn the project into a nightmare.

You've got five pages. That's a good start to keep writing it yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.