Fingerprints - a clear coating to block fingerprints?

lurky

Registered
Reaction score
Hi
I'm writing a detective procedural. The killer needs to handle some objects without leaving fingerprints in full view of others (who don't know for sure he is killer). Has anyone heard of a clear coating or type of tape that can applied to the pads of the fingers that would block prints but not be totally obvious? Thanks

Hoplite

Return of the Coffee Shield
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe paraffin wax? I think you can pick it up in any cosmetics department. Just dip your fingers in the goop and it hardens to create a smooth surface on your skin. I don't know how noticeable it might be though.

jeseymour

Registered
Reaction score
Website
jeseymour.com
Hi
I'm writing a detective procedural. The killer needs to handle some objects without leaving fingerprints in full view of others (who don't know for sure he is killer). Has anyone heard of a clear coating or type of tape that can applied to the pads of the fingers that would block prints but not be totally obvious? Thanks

Why can't he just wear gloves and say he has some sort of hideous skin disease on his hands?

ULTRAGOTHA

Merovingian Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
nail polish

super glue

pdichellis

Murder! You want fries with that?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
murderandfries.wordpress.com
Here's a link to a news story about a woman who disguised her fingerprints using glue. She got caught anyway, but the news story definitely says the police printed her while the glue was on her fingers (so it must not have been noticeable) and they could not identify her prints until they removed the glue.

http://archive.azcentral.com/news/a...border-crosser-glue-on-fingerprints-abrk.html

Best wishes,
Peter DiChellis

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The killer needs to handle some objects without leaving fingerprints in full view of others

An idea may be to use finger cots.

http://www.all-spec.com/products/B6847.html

They look like miniature "rubbers" for sex protection, except they are rolled onto fingertips. Some are virtually transparent--very difficult to see. They need only be on the first two fingers and thumb.

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Is this at a crime scene? He should be wearing gloves anyway.

Also, porting to Story Research and Experts for more answers!

ClareGreen

Onwards, ever onwards
Registered
Reaction score
Liquid latex. Still flexible when it dries, and it peels off easily.

Hendo

Custom User Title
Registered
Reaction score
Liquid latex. Still flexible when it dries, and it peels off easily.

Something like this would probably work. There are absolutely substances that would do the trick. How often do you find yourself examining someone's palms?

As for the no, otherwise criminals would use it in real life, well, why would they need to wear it? Generally the common criminal isn't going to be doing something like this(handling objects in front of people who want his prints) and will just wear gloves... if anything. If they're kicking in a door or smashing a jewelry case there's less need for the cloak and dagger.

I'll admit that I have no experience with crime scene fingerprints aside from a, "Looks like there's a print here!" so I could be completely off base with this but based on everything I've ever heard from detectives and academy instructors, fingerprints in real life are a #$%@& and a half to deal with. It's not like on TV where the police show up, dust a room, pull 100 perfect prints and match them up in a database 30 minutes later.

Also have you ever seen the movie Gone in 60 Seconds? They use fake fingerprints that are glued onto their fingertips at one point lol But just don't forget that palm prints are unique as well.

Last edited:

IClaytonR

Registered
Reaction score
I wonder how well clear Plasti Dip would work. It's a rubber coating that comes as a liquid or spray like paint. It can be removed by simply peeling it off. At least that's how it works on tools or cars. Might work on hands if hands weren't examined too closely.

http://www.plastidip.com/home_solutions/Plasti_Dip

Last edited:

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
Do they want him to handle something so they've got a sample of his fingerprints? If so, wouldn't they be a bit suspicious if they didn't find prints after he handled the item?

Even if he didn't leave fingerprints, he might leave DNA.

Day Agent

Look Closer
Registered
Reaction score
Liquid bandages like New-Skin might do the trick. The principle is similar to other liquids mentioned here: rub or spray on and let dry. They are supposedly invisible and the surgical and battlefield variations likely can take some wear. Prosthetic gloves is another option, and top shelve versions include fingerprints.

Last edited: