how long is too long?

lailei

Registered
Reaction score
Hi!:hi: I queried an agent back in December and on the 17th she asked for an exclusive on the full manuscript, which I granted (I know now that's something you shouldn't do lightly but she responded to my original query quickly and I'm pretty young and new to all of this). After three or so months I sent her a follow up email, and then about month later I sent her an email in which I explained that I couldn't keep it under exclusive and started contacting other agents. It's been six months since I submitted the manuscript with no reply. I know things move pretty slowly in this industry but should I take her silence to mean she has no interest in my work? Thanks!

heza

Registered
Reaction score
It's possible that she'll still offer. Some people have had agents pop back up after a year, even, with offers. I think it's rare, though, and I would work under the assumption that no response means no and continue to query other agents. Because this agent still has your full, however, when you get an offer from another agent, you should inform the first agent to give her the chance to make an offer.

When you grant an exclusive, you should always put a time limit on it (2 weeks seems common).

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
As Heza said, it's best to assume no response means no and to continue your querying journey elsewhere.

The agent may pop back up, but the lack of response to your e-mails would put me off them anyway. I like an agent that's responsive.

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
I, too, would be really wary about an agent who specifically requests an exclusive and then quits communicating. That screams red flag to me, and a one-way relationship. Even if the agent came back, I'd say thanksnothanks.

heza

Registered
Reaction score
I, too, would be really wary about an agent who specifically requests an exclusive and then quits communicating. That screams red flag to me, and a one-way relationship. Even if the agent came back, I'd say thanksnothanks.

Agreed. I don't know of reputable agents who ask for an exclusive and then don't let you know one way or the other. They might have taken a long time with it if a deadline wasn't specified, but when you nudged, they would have given an answer. Most good agents know that you need to be out there querying other agents if they're not willing to rep. So it sounds like either personal crisis of some kind or a flaky agent.