Marketing a Play

DavidZahir

Malkavian Primogen
Registered
Reaction score
Website
undeadwhispers.yuku.com
Since I don't have an agent, I decided to market my play Carmilla a bit more directly. Created a website, then went on a web search. Looked for companies that had done similar works, like Dracula or The Turn of the Screw. Then looked for major cities, and viewed theatre departments at colleges and universities that had done things fairly recently in a similar vein. Eventually sent out almost 300 emails, with a synopsis of the play attached. So far I've gotten about three nibbles. Not bad for two months.

gp101

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Surprised there isn't more activity on this thread. Would like to hear what others have done to get their plays produced.

Anyone?

noirdood

Registered
Reaction score
There are a lot of small professional theatre companies in Los Angeles that are run by a theatre company and have programs for actors, directors, playwrights and so on. Many have 99-seat theaters and put on their own plays. Back when the 99-seat theater program was called Equity Waiver I associated myself with one of these companies, joined their playwriting workshop and wrote a play. It was staged by them using a cast of professional actors and I qualified to join the Dramatists Guild as a result. You would have to nose around to find a company that suits your needs. Good luck.

HoosierJoe

Registered
Reaction score
My play has been completed for several years. I sent it to the major players for publishing and got rejected by all. Several want it performed first before they will consider it. I do a bit of community theater and they are open to staging a performance but I would have to find the funding for it. Maybe one day I will take this project on as I would need to be at least an asst. director.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I hit a wall and got discouraged more easily than I should have. My play has regional appeal, but there are very, very few theatres open to submissions from the general public. I entered a contest at the local Equity house, where they liked it quite well but it did not win. I lured a local production company into giving it its board to read, but they thought it would cost too much to produce. (It has period costumes from the 1870s and needs a mock-up of an old-time camera on a tripod.) I considered the upcoming Fringe Festival, but they don't want plays on paper. They want a full production ready to perform in their venue. I wouldn't know how to do that, and have no skills except the writing part.

Now I don't quite know what to do with it. I reread it recently and it's still pretty good, but in the immortal words of my discouraged self, so freakin' what?

HoosierJoe

Registered
Reaction score
I hit a wall and got discouraged more easily than I should have. My play has regional appeal, but there are very, very few theatres open to submissions from the general public. I entered a contest at the local Equity house, where they liked it quite well but it did not win. I lured a local production company into giving it its board to read, but they thought it would cost too much to produce. (It has period costumes from the 1870s and needs a mock-up of an old-time camera on a tripod.) I considered the upcoming Fringe Festival, but they don't want plays on paper. They want a full production ready to perform in their venue. I wouldn't know how to do that, and have no skills except the writing part.

Now I don't quite know what to do with it. I reread it recently and it's still pretty good, but in the immortal words of my discouraged self, so freakin' what?

I'm right with you. It looks to me like you have to be in with a theater group and be willing to foot the bill if they decided to do it. My play is a Christmas play that is family oriented and fit for any church, community theater or school. It's 90 minutes, so not too long, but does have a cast of 22 including the extras and small parts. My guess is that set would run $1k or less to construct and costuming would be everyday clothing for most people. Like I said, I have a theater group willing to read it over and talk about it. But I would no doubt be expected to foot the cost or find the funding.

As far as publishing? I'm equally lost as you. No publisher wants to touch this sort of work. New plays being produced and published are done by established playwrights.

Last edited:

noirdood

Registered
Reaction score
Plays are made to be performed, not to exist as a sort-of, not-really novel. You need to find an actor's gang (or group) that puts on new plays and join them in the madness. You need to get down in the trenches and get your hands dirty. Theatre is a group activity and you can't be a wallflower at the prom.