What YA book are you reading RIGHT NOW?, issue 2

Mary Love

Registered
Reaction score
Just finished Ready Player One and it was ahmaaaazzzzingggg!!! Can't wait for the movie now! A freakishly interesting blend of past and future.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Hardcopy: STRANGE THE DREAMER by Laini Taylor
Kindle: THE WINNER'S CURSE by Marie Rutkoski and CHILDREN OF BLOOD AND BONE by Tomi Adeyemi
Audiobook: A GENTLEMAN'S GUIDE TO VICE AND VIRTUE by Mackenzie Lee

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
Just finished SCYTHE by Neal Shusterman, which I really enjoyed although it didn't need the inevitable YA romance element (not least because it's completely unbelievable). I'll definitely be checking out THUNDERHEAD.

MM

RaggyCat

Registered
Reaction score
I enjoyed ONE OF US IS LYING though I had a big gripe with a particular piece of misdirection!

I'm reading GOODBYE, PERFECT by Sara Barnard. So far, quite meh on it. It's one of those YA novels where the teens don't feel like teens.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Hardcopy: STRANGE THE DREAMER by Laini Taylor and THE BEST KIND OF MAGIC by Crystal Cestari
Kindle: CHILDREN OF BLOOD AND BONE by Tomi Adeyemi
Audiobook: A GENTLEMAN'S GUIDE TO VICE AND VIRTUE by Mackenzie Lee and (soon to be) READY PLAYER ONE by Ernest Cline

owlion

Absorbing inspiration from the moon
Registered
Reaction score
Just finished The Wicked Deep by Shea Ernshaw which was really good, although the romance felt rushed (I also feel like I need to read back through it to see if the twist holds up, because I'm not sure).
Currently reading The Beast Player by Nahoko Uehashi which is really great so far and has a well-developed world.

konstantineblacke

Registered
Reaction score
Just finished Ready Player One and it was ahmaaaazzzzingggg!!! Can't wait for the movie now! A freakishly interesting blend of past and future.

I just picked it up and am about to start reading it :) Plus I want to read it before I take the kids to the movies to see it :)

playground

Registered
Reaction score
Hardcopy: STRANGE THE DREAMER by Laini Taylor and THE BEST KIND OF MAGIC by Crystal Cestari
Kindle: CHILDREN OF BLOOD AND BONE by Tomi Adeyemi
Audiobook: A GENTLEMAN'S GUIDE TO VICE AND VIRTUE by Mackenzie Lee and (soon to be) READY PLAYER ONE by Ernest Cline

Just bought Children of Blood and Bone on kindle too. Excited to read it from all the buzz it's had leading up to it and all.

RaggyCat

Registered
Reaction score
I seem to be reading so much YA where the teen voices aren't convincing at the moment, and sound like people in their 20s. Seriously, I feel like some of the authors clearly want to be writing for adults. I've just finished what I was reading. Does anyone have any recommendations for YA where the teens actually act like teens and sound like teens? I'm biased towards UKYA but any US recommendations are welcome too.

Fuchsia Groan

Becoming a laptop-human hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
I finished WHEN MY HEART JOINS THE THOUSAND by AW's own The Otter and it was amazing. One of two books that made me cry this year, and wow, did it ever. The ending is beautiful and brought me out of ugly-sobbing mode.

Now reading A GOOD IDEA, a small-town mystery/thriller released last year. It reads very much like an adult thriller in the Gone Girl mode, with a cynical, sophisticated narrator, but that's fine with me and I'm enjoying it. I love reading about weird and/or corrupt small towns!

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I'm currently reading The Beauty that Remains by Ashley Woodfolk and absolutely loving it!

Zoe R

Fluffhead! Fluffy fluffy head!
Registered
Reaction score

ME TOO! I alternated between the physical copy and Will Wheaton's narration audiobook, both super enjoyable. There are a lot of aspects I feel I could nitpick, storylines that could have been much expanded upon, but I devoured it, so that's a good book to me. :D Looks like they changed a lot for the movie, but the Cline co-wrote the screenplay and Spielberg is directing so I'm pretty excited.

Wil also read the Armada audiobook so that's next for me!

konstantineblacke

Registered
Reaction score
I finished Ready Player One in the week (then I read Terry Pratchett's 'Lords and Ladies' a witches story--love those). Ready Player One was awesome. I really 'got' into the world Cline had created and I liked the 'human' aspect of the story in a somewhat human-less world. I could see a few things coming, but the really cool thing is that I got EVERY 80's reference. LOL

konstantineblacke

Registered
Reaction score
I seem to be reading so much YA where the teen voices aren't convincing at the moment, and sound like people in their 20s. Seriously, I feel like some of the authors clearly want to be writing for adults. I've just finished what I was reading. Does anyone have any recommendations for YA where the teens actually act like teens and sound like teens? I'm biased towards UKYA but any US recommendations are welcome too.

I read the 'Skulduggery Pleasant' series and thought that had a really great female teen lead character.

hester

New year, new avatar.
Registered
Reaction score
Reading BURRO HILLS by Julia Lynn Rubin and LOVING IT!!!!!!! The characters, the voice, the setting and the story are just so spot on :).

Ooh, Fuchsia, A GOOD IDEA sounds like fun!!! I'm stocking up on physical books for the moment, since my Kindle croaked and I haven't gotten around to replacing it :). *Heads to Barnes and Noble website...

BonafideDreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Magnus Chase.

Is it me, or are all the Percy Jackson spin offs not up to par?

Also, I really like the '39 Clues' series franchise. My sister always brings those home from school and I pretty much read all of her school books. So my YA reading stash is always full.

edutton

Ni. Peng. Neee-Wom.
Registered
Reaction score
Magnus Chase.

Is it me, or are all the Percy Jackson spin offs not up to par?

Also, I really like the '39 Clues' series franchise. My sister always brings those home from school and I pretty much read all of her school books. So my YA reading stash is always full.
I think 39 Clues is considered MG?

thejadevoice

Registered
Reaction score
I just finished SADIE by Courtney Summers.
I'm reading two e-book at the same time (one Kindle, one from the library) INVINCIBLE by Amy Reed and CHILDREN OF BLOOD AND BONE by Tomi Adeyemi.
I'm also listening to the audiobook of THE CRUEL PRINCE by Holly Black. Phew!

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
I'm currently reading ZENITH by Sasha Alsberg and Lindsay Cummings. Picked it up because I loved the idea of a SF novel that's actually set in space (so much YA SF seems to revolve around takes on dystopias) and because it is pitched at fans of Star Wars so I thought it would have a bit of a space opera adventure vibe. I'm about a quarter of the way in and I'm finding it very disjointed - the shifting POVs (5 so far) keeps throwing me out and prevents me from empathising with the characters or their respective plights, the romance is making my eyes roll (partly because I just can't bear the whole arrogant male jerk romance interest thing) but also because for a book that's built on an idea of an all female spaceship crew, I think the side characters are under developed. It's not helping that the characters all seem to be more New Adult age than YA age (the 2 mains are in their early 20s while only a couple of the side characters are teenagers) and the world building is throwing too much at me for me to get to grips with it. I'll push on with it because I always finish my books but I'm disappointed not to be loving it as much as I thought I would.

MM

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Hardcopy: THE SWEETEST KIND OF FATE by Crystal Cestari
Kindle: CARAVAL by Stephanie Garber and WUTHERING HEIGHTS by Emily Bronte
Audiobook: READY PLAYER ONE by Ernest Cline
On hold: STRANGE THE DREAMER by Laini Taylor and A GENTLEMAN'S GUIDE TO VICE AND VIRTUE by Mackenzie Lee

ETA: I also read THE PRINCE AND THE DRESSMAKER, which was adorable. It's a graphic novel, so it's different from what I usually read these days, but it made me nostalgic for some of the cute LGBT manga I read when I was in college.

Last edited:

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
WUTHERING HEIGHTS by Emily Bronte

*Makes dreamy eyez at Heathcliff...I mean Catherine*

I mean Heathcliff.

Princess & the Dressmaker is lovely, btw, Jen Wang's been a talent for some time and I'm glad she finally gets to write something of her own. Would bet money she'll get to do a Lumberjanes soon. (she already did)

Last edited:

thejadevoice

Registered
Reaction score
Hardcopy: THE SWEETEST KIND OF FATE by Crystal Cestari
Kindle: CARAVAL by Stephanie Garber and WUTHERING HEIGHTS by Emily Bronte
Audiobook: READY PLAYER ONE by Ernest Cline
On hold: STRANGE THE DREAMER by Laini Taylor and A GENTLEMAN'S GUIDE TO VICE AND VIRTUE by Mackenzie Lee

ETA: I also read THE PRINCE AND THE DRESSMAKER, which was adorable. It's a graphic novel, so it's different from what I usually read these days, but it made me nostalgic for some of the cute LGBT manga I read when I was in college.

STRANGE THE DREAMER is so amazing. I am dying for the sequel. I recently gave it to my mum as she was in a book slump and she finished it on the weekend. She said it was the best book she's read in a long time, and left with DAUGHTER OF SMOKE AND BONE. It's never too late to convert them to YA. ;)

thejadevoice

Registered
Reaction score
I impulsively re-read I'LL GIVE YOU THE SUN by Jandy Nelson this week even though I have a million other books to read. Now I'm thinking I'll re-read the SKY IS EVERYWHERE. And can she please write another book? Please and thank you!