What YA book are you reading RIGHT NOW?, issue 2

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Reading the 3rd book in the Raven Boys series thanks to a recommendation by Sage. I love it.

Before I got the copies I started Outlander. I know it's a good book with great reviews but my head just wasn't into it at this time.

RaggyCat

Registered
Reaction score
I'm about halfway through Dead Ends by Erin Lange at the moment. It feels like a much more readable John Green (I'm not a fan of his!). I remember enjoying her other book Butter years ago too.

Paul Scott

Registered
Reaction score
Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut. It was a recommendation from a friend. But my favourite writers are Lee Child and Stephen King. Anyone relate?

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Hardcopy: :(
Kindle: EMPRESS OF ALL SEASONS by Emiko Jean, TOWER OF DAWN by Sarah J. Maas, and A GATHERING OF SHADOWS by V.E. Schwab
Audiobook: 11/22/63 by Stephen King and GOOD OMENS by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett (neither YA)

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Hardcopy: INKMISTRESS by Audrey Coulthurst
Kindle: HULLMETAL GIRLS by Emily Skrutskie, TOWER OF DAWN by Sarah J. Maas, and A GATHERING OF SHADOWS by V.E. Schwab
Audiobook: 11/22/63 by Stephen King and GOOD OMENS by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett (neither YA)

mwatchornbooks

Registered
Reaction score
Finished Nyxia Unleashed a few days ago. Scott Reintgen is on my list of auto-buy authors now. Now, I'm about 100 pages into The Winner's Crime. I'm surprised how much slower it is compared to book 1. Still enjoying it, though!

mwatchornbooks

Registered
Reaction score
Just finished The Winner's Crime by Marie Rutkoski. That ending was heartbreaking. Eager to start The Winner's Kiss.

RaggyCat

Registered
Reaction score
I'm reading The Sky is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson. I've avoided it for years, incorrectly thinking Jandy Nelson was Jenny Han (whose books I don't get on with). Now I've worked out they are two different people, I've decided to try it. Seems OK so far, though perhaps a little lyrical for my personal tastes.

Yasia

Registered
Reaction score
Just finished reading What If It's Us by Becky Albertalli and Adam Silvera and I loved it.

mwatchornbooks

Registered
Reaction score
Just finished reading What If It's Us by Becky Albertalli and Adam Silvera and I loved it.

Nice! I've been meaning to pick that one up. I loved Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda.

Just started The Winner's Kiss by Marie Rutkoski. If the previous book was any indication, I'm in for an emotional ride.

Loverofwords

Registered
Reaction score
After this, you should check out I'LL GIVE YOU THE SUN by her, too. Such a powerful, emotion, uplifting novel. One of my favorites of all time.

EDIT: Realizing now I forgot to quote reply RaggyCat's post. Oops.

Last edited:

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Kindle: TOWER OF DAWN by Sarah J. Maas, and A GATHERING OF SHADOWS by V.E. Schwab (and something to be added here soon, I'm sure)
Audiobook: GOOD OMENS by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett and LINCOLN IN THE BARDO by George Saunders (neither YA)

RaggyCat

Registered
Reaction score
After this, you should check out I'LL GIVE YOU THE SUN by her, too. Such a powerful, emotion, uplifting novel. One of my favorites of all time.

EDIT: Realizing now I forgot to quote reply RaggyCat's post. Oops.

I'll try I'LL GIVE YOU THE SUN. I was a bit skimmy with THE SKY IS EVERYWHERE, but that's more because it wasn't my kind of book than because I thought it was bad. I did a diversion mid-reading to finish ONLY LOVE CAN BREAK YOUR HEART by Katherine Webber, which I thought was very good.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Kindle: TOWER OF DAWN by Sarah J. Maas (but really this time), and A GATHERING OF SHADOWS by V.E. Schwab
Audiobook: GOOD OMENS by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett and THE ODYSSEY by Homer

thecraftteens

Registered
Reaction score
Orphan Monster Spy by Matt Killeen. Love anything to do with heists or infiltrating someplace while in disguise.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I'm reading THE DISASTERS by MK England, and loving it! Space Opera! (-:

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Hardcopy: INKMISTRESS by Audrey Coulthurst and STOLEN SONGBIRD by Danielle L Jensen
Kindle: TOWER OF DAWN by Sarah J. Maas (but really this time), and A GATHERING OF SHADOWS by V.E. Schwab
Audiobook: GOOD OMENS by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett and THE ODYSSEY by Homer

It's odd how sometimes the bad things are all you remember about a book. Stolen Songbird is a perfectly good book, but at 75%, it grew annoying for 10%, and then got good again. I had had the 2nd and 3rd book on my wishlist for 5 years, and my mom got me them for Christmas this year, and all I could remember was that there was that whiny 10% in last quarter of the book & wondered why I wanted the sequels so much. But it was a little easier to stomach the second time around, and I did enjoy the rest of the book.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Hardcopy: INKMISTRESS by Audrey Coulthurst and HIDDEN HUNTRESS by Danielle L Jensen
Kindle: KINGDOM OF ASH by Sarah J. Maas and A GATHERING OF SHADOWS by V.E. Schwab

ZeMegwin12

Registered
Reaction score
I'm currently reading That's Not What Happened by Kody Keplinger. It's interesting how the author writes the story transporting the reader between present day and events that happened three years ago. In general, it's hard not to confuse readers with that back and forth technique. Excited to see how this author does with it!

Pterofan

Trust me, I'm a writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pterosnest.blogspot.com
I can't recall if it was this thread or the rec thread, but somebody mentioned Leigh Bardugo's Grisha books, which got me reading Six of Crows and Crooked Kingdom. I have a new author whose books I can look forward to. Thank you!

Coddiwomple

shipwrecked in antiquity
Registered
Reaction score
I had a long drive to make before Christmas, so I listened to A Gathering of Shadows by V.E. Schwab on Audible. I liked the story, but the narrator did not do it for me. Seriously annoying voice for all the female characters.

Read Circe, by Madeline Miller. Liked!