What YA book are you reading RIGHT NOW?, issue 2

butterfly_effect

Registered
Reaction score
I decided to start a book called "The Hate U Give" by Angie Thomas. I found out about it through some online recommendations. Hopefully, I will be able to recommend it as well after I read it!

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
Just finished LANDSCAPE WITH INVISIBLE HAND by M T Anderson, which is really smart mix of dystopia and satire set in a world where aliens obsessed with 1950s Americana arrive and they're better at capitalism than humans are. Definitely worth a look. Not sure what I'm going to check out next as I've got some non-fiction to read next.

MM

konstantineblacke

Registered
Reaction score
I am reading the "Ranger's Apprentice" books by John Flanagan. I'm up to book 10: "The Emperor of Nihon-Ja." If you want to learn how to write properly in 3rd person omniscient, this is the series to have a good look at. It does the transitions flawlessly, and each transition to each character's POV moves the story along. The only down side is at the beginning of the series (first couple of books) there is a little bit more telling than showing, but thankfully that reduces a hell of a lot. Really enjoying them :)

konstantineblacke

Registered
Reaction score
Just finished LANDSCAPE WITH INVISIBLE HAND by M T Anderson, which is really smart mix of dystopia and satire set in a world where aliens obsessed with 1950s Americana arrive and they're better at capitalism than humans are. Definitely worth a look. Not sure what I'm going to check out next as I've got some non-fiction to read next.

MM

That does sound interesting :)

thereeness

Registered
Reaction score
TEMPESTS AND SLAUGHTER by Tamora Pierce, one of my icons, idols, and literary goddesses. I'm so excited to finish this book, so far she's done her (so far) solo male lead the same justice she does to all her leading ladies.

edutton

Ni. Peng. Neee-Wom.
Registered
Reaction score
Highly recommended, MT is both extremely erudite and weird AF. How he writes the novels he does is beyond me.
Oh wow, he did a graphic adaptation of Chretien de Troyes' YVAIN! *drool* (I did a semester of medieval romance literature in college, this is my catnip :))

Last edited:

RaggyCat

Registered
Reaction score
Jumping in here for the first time, so hello, and I'm very excited reading this page to hear about TEMPESTS AND SLAUGHTER by Tamora Pierce. I hadn't realised she'd finally written this book! She was a big influence on me as a kid and young teen. Some of her series I haven't enjoyed very much but I'm excited to read this.

THE HATE U GIVE - I hear so much about this book on a daily basis, it's been huge. Personally it doesn't appeal, but it's getting to the point where I feel I really ought to read it just because...

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I'm rereading Simon Vs the Homo Sapiens Agenda in anticipation of its theatrical release.

thereeness

Registered
Reaction score
Finished up TEMPESTS AND SLAUGHTER and I was in tears and definitely doing the, "WHERE'S THE NEXT BOOK?!" rage dance. It was glorious. Everything I could've hoped for.

Also finished up SIGHTWITCH by Susan Dennard. This was such a great side story, deepening the world and fleshing out some side characters that I had a lot of fun getting to know.

RaggyCat

Registered
Reaction score
I'm wavering between starting Undone or Torn by Cat Clarke. I've liked one of her books and disliked another, but I'm trying to "get" the appeal of her work so need to read a third.

konstantineblacke

Registered
Reaction score
Just finished the final in the series of the Ranger's Apprentice. "The Royal Ranger." A good yarn with very lovable characters. I enjoyed them.

RaggyCat

Registered
Reaction score
Which one did you like and which one was the one you didn't? I'm currently reading her 'Girlhood' and have read 5 of her others.

The Lost and the Found was the book by Cat Clarke which I liked - I'm glad I picked it up as I'd been plotting a very similar book! I was underwhelmed by the twist at the end, but, to be fair, I think that's because I'd recently seen a TV series with a similar premise and an identical twist! So a case of bad timing. The book I didn't like was Entangled - I read it years ago, but I remember finding the plotting very sporadic.

Last night I started Torn. So far, so good. I wouldn't say I'm gripped but I'm sure I'll finish it.

Which are her best books, in your opinion?

Netz

Freshly caught writing bug lives!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The view from my stained glass window suggests by
I'm enjoying the current one the most so far, but I'm only about a third of the way through, so don't know whether that'll still be true by the time I finish. I rather enjoyed Entangl3d, but (like you) it's been a few years since I read it (as with 'T0rn'). Was the TV series 'The Missing', by any chance? 'A K1ss 1n th3 Dark' reminded me of a real-life story that got reported and it was interesting to have the 2 POVs.

RaggyCat

Registered
Reaction score
I'm enjoying the current one the most so far, but I'm only about a third of the way through, so don't know whether that'll still be true by the time I finish. I rather enjoyed Entangl3d, but (like you) it's been a few years since I read it (as with 'T0rn'). Was the TV series 'The Missing', by any chance? 'A K1ss 1n th3 Dark' reminded me of a real-life story that got reported and it was interesting to have the 2 POVs.

Yes, it was the TV series The Missing that reminded me of The Lost and the Found! I feel that's a twist I might have figured out anyway as I've read enough of those kind of books to know red flags when I see them (the sister refusing to do a DNA test raised a rather big one!). I'm about halfway through Torn and it's OK, but I can't entirely gel with the writing style - I feel it's a bit tell-y and there's surprisingly little dialogue. But I'll certainly finish it!

Fuchsia Groan

Becoming a laptop-human hybrid
Registered
Reaction score

MM

I loved this book. I saw Anderson read from it at a local store, and he talked about how he's always too early or late for the big trends (vampires, dystopian, etc.). This book is timely enough — with themes of cultural appropriation and economic inequality — that I wish it were getting more attention.

I just finished TH1S IS N0T A LOVE LETTER, about a girl looking for her missing boyfriend and fearing he was a victim of a hate crime (he's black, she's white). Loved the fresh, funny voice; it reminded me of classic YA contemps, and helps you get through the dark parts. Now I'm reading BURRO HILLS by AW's own pinkbowvintage. It has amazing voice, too, and tons of atmosphere. I'm getting an updated Outsiders vibe.

JoyceAernouts

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.smalltownjoyce.wordpress.com
I just read the summoner trilogy by Taran Matharu and I loved it! There were so many interesting elements from other great books, but in a new combination that was both surprising and refreshing. Definitely an author to watch.

Kiteya

Registered
Reaction score
I just finished "Renegades" by Marissa Meyer and "Shadow and Bone" by Leigh Bardugo. Both excellent books that I finished in under a week each.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Hardcopy: Bringing to the UK: WILLFUL MACHINES, GEEKERELLA, THE SEAFARER'S KISS, THE BEST KIND OF MAGIC, and WAISTCOATS AND WEAPONRY
Kindle: THE WINNER'S CURSE by Marie Rutkoski and OF FIRE AND STARS by Audrey Coulthurst
Audiobook: A GENTLEMAN'S GUIDE TO VICE AND VIRTUE by Mackenzie Lee
On hold: STRANGE THE DREAMER by Laini Taylor (too big to bring on the plane)

Also, I finished a book, woohoo! (2018 has not been reading-friendly)