What YA book are you reading RIGHT NOW?, issue 2

Krimigen

Registered
Reaction score
First book of the year for me is Skyward by Brandon Sanderson. Been looking forward to this one for a while!

ValerieJane

Registered
Reaction score
I just finished reading How to Disappear by Sharon Huss Roat. Really enjoyed it. Fast, plot-driven contemporary YA that tied everything up in a satisfying way.

Now I'm in the middle of Eleanor and Park by Rainbow Rowell and I'm loving it. Rowell's style really clicks with me.

Kiteya

Registered
Reaction score
I'm currently reading "Six of Crows" by Leigh Bardugo. It's pretty good! It's about a heist led by six teenagers. There's been a lot of hype surrounding it, so I figured I'd check it out. It's not bad! I'm enjoying it. Leigh Bardugo is a great author.

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Hardcopy: SLAYER by Kiersten White
Kindle: KINGDOM OF ASH by Sarah J. Maas, APPOINTMENT WITH DEATH by Agatha Christie, and A GATHERING OF SHADOWS by V.E. Schwab
Audiobook: CIRCE by Madeline Miller

JenWantsCoffee

Registered
Reaction score
Started the year off with The Wizards of Once by Cressida Cowell, Secondborn by Amy A. Bartol, and The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas. Next up is The House with a Clock in Its Walls by John Bellairs (1 so I can read it before I watch the movie, and 2 because apparently this was my husband's favorite book as a kid and I had never heard of it!)

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Hardcopy: WARRIOR WITCH by Danielle L Jensen
Kindle: KINGDOM OF ASH by Sarah J. Maas and A GATHERING OF SHADOWS by V.E. Schwab
Audiobook: CIRCE by Madeline Miller

starrystorm

Registered
Reaction score
Finished Sharon Cameron's The Forgetting. I lost it for a while so it took me about 7 months to finish.

Review: It was slow to begin with but at the middle it picked up pace and interest that it's now one of my favorite books.

edutton

Ni. Peng. Neee-Wom.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm still in Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue... I'm finding it a slog, and I honestly don't know why. (It did pick up at about the 75% mark - normally I'd have DNF'd it by 25%, but I'm really excited for Felicity's book and I want to have finished this first.)

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Death Prefers Blondes! Loving it. <3

Lhipenwhe

Moving with my soul, step by step
Registered
Reaction score
Crown of Midnight, from the Throne of Glass series. I picked it up to get a better feel for YA and after reading the first book. It's a vast improvement over the first book, but I'm not really sure if it's for me. Then again, I'm moving away from fantasy in general, so :Shrug:.

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Hardcopy: FOREST OF A THOUSAND LANTERNS by Julie C Dao
Kindle: KINGDOM OF ASH by Sarah J. Maas and DOWN AMONG THE STICKS AND BONES by Seanan McGuire
Audiobook: THE MARTIAN by Andy Weir, BECOMING by Michelle Obama, and THUNDERHEAD by Neal Shusterman

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
When I read some teeny tiny book later (like the Seanan McGuire's are really short), I'll have to remember that I really earned the end of these series, particularly Kingdom of Ash, which is a 1000-page book. But I finally finished all the series I started before the beginning of this year (that I intend to finish, at least). I feel pretty accomplished.

I probably wouldn't have devoted myself to KoA if a) I wasn't 7 books ahead of my 100 book challenge and b) didn't have a hardcopy book I wanted to read more than the sequel I was trying to find and finally bought on Amazon. Also, all my physical books felt too similar to books I was reading or just finished. I had a lot with similar themes (like the magical connection that would kill one person if the other died) between those series I finished in the past month, and some of the physical ones I want to tackle soon have similar themes, so I decided to finish the old ones off first.

Anyway, KoA almost earns that length. About 70% in, I was thinking, "Wow, it's long, but I wouldn't have her cut anything for a satisfying conclusion," but then there's an endless battle that everyone participates in and has to be shown how desperate it is from every single POV, and one had been in the battle thinking that since the halfway point, and I felt it didn't quite earn the length. Let's be fair, war is not my favorite thing to read about anyway, but fatigue really sets in when the final battle starts for some characters around the 70% mark of a 1000-pg book, and when every character thinks at least once about waging a "final desperate push" against the forces they're facing.

My other complaint is about the obsession with pairing off of everyone. And every single one of those pairings was heterosexual.

Still, it was a book that made me cry in a few places, and overall, it was a satisfying end to the entire series (although, since I refused to reread the series (or even books 1-5) before reading it, there was a lot of reorientation to the characters that weren't in book 6, especially those with similar names (Wait, is it Galan or Gavriel who's Aedion's dad? Is Evangeline actually Lysandra's daughter or just a girl that Arobynn was going to turn into a prostitute or assassin?)). For those starting the series, though, it is an undertaking, with some very uneven books in the middle (and one that seemed worthless at the time, but made me like a character better in the end...). Throne of Glass doesn't really encompass what the series will be. I feel like Heir of Fire was the first time I really got an idea of what the series would end up being.

Last edited:

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Hardcopy: LIKE A RIVER GLORIOUS by Rae Carson
Kindle: BENEATH THE SUGAR SKY by Seanan McGuire
Audiobook: BECOMING by Michelle Obama and THUNDERHEAD by Neal Shusterman

JenWantsCoffee

Registered
Reaction score
Hardcopy - The School For Unusual Girls by Kathleen Baldwin
Audible - Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Hardcopy: MIRAGE by Somaiya Daud
Kindle: IN AN ABSENT DREAM by Seanan McGuire

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Hardcopy: THE EMPRESS by S.J. Kincaid
Kindle: THE SELECTION by Keira Cass

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
BONELESS MERCIES by April Genevieve Tucholke. Really great, I think she set out to write a Joe Abercrombie novel and did better.

ReadWriteRachel

Probably drinking coffee.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm about fifty pages into Alexandra Christo's TO KILL A KINGDOM. I think I'm going to love this one! There's a lot of worldbuilding and plot elements to keep straight thus far, but the plot is really starting to ramp up.

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Hardcover: THE EMPRESS by S.J. Kincaid
Paperback: THE READER by Traci Chee
Kindle: THE ONE by Keira Cass

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Lips Touch Three Times by Laini Taylor. Three stories, this woman is such a good writer! She also wrote Daughter of Smoke and Bone which I think is one of the best YA Urban Fantasy books ever.

A lot of authors' other books are not as good as the one you fall in love with, but this one is.

Last edited:

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Hardcover: DAMSEL by Elana K. Arnold
Paperback: THE READER by Traci Chee
Kindle: HEART OF IRON by Ashley Poston
Audiobook: THUNDERHEAD by Neal Shusterman

I'm not convinced DAMSEL is YA, despite being shelved that way.