What YA book are you reading RIGHT NOW?, issue 2

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Hardcover: WE SET THE DARK ON FIRE by Tehlor Kay Mejia
Kindle: STARWORLD by Audrey Coulthurst & Paula Garner and RUIN OF STARS by Linsey Miller
Audiobook: HARRY POTTER AND THE HALF-BLOOD PRINCE by JK Rowling and DISCOVERY OF WITCHES by Deborah Harkness (not YA, and I'm close to DNFing)

Obviously I read (book) GoF and (audiobook) OotP in there. I also read MASK OF SHADOWS and NIGHT TIGER (not YA) since the last post.

JenWantsCoffee

Registered
Reaction score
Just finished Road to Eugenica by A.M. Rose. About to start Refuge for Masterminds by Kathleen Baldwin (would highly recommend her Stranje House series!).

Lcarver

Registered
Reaction score
Currently I'm reading the latest in the Spellslinger series. Queenslayer.
I like the series so far.
It's by Sebastian De Castell.

ReignaFTW

Registered
Reaction score
Finished up the Starbound Trilogy with the third book, Their Fractured Light, by Amie Kaufmann and Megan Spooner. Nice little ending to the series. Fastest thing I've read in a while too, so that's always fun.

Lhipenwhe

Moving with my soul, step by step
Registered
Reaction score
Just finished Girls of Paper and Fire by Natasha Ngan. An enjoyable but not particularly deep story which drew me in more for the subversions of the genre than particular strengths of the writing. I liked it, although I wish I'd waited to get it until it was cheaper.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
A little on pause for reading beyond audiobooks, but:

Hardcover: WE SET THE DARK ON FIRE by Tehlor Kay Mejia
Kindle: STARWORLD by Audrey Coulthurst & Paula Garner and RUIN OF STARS by Linsey Miller
Audiobook: ON THE COME UP by Angie Thomas and RETURN OF THE KING by JRR Tolkien (not YA)

I also finished the Harry Potter series in audiobook form in there.

Lcarver

Registered
Reaction score
I'm currently reading Scythe by Neal Shusterman. So far it has me pretty invested. It's a unique take of on the 'problems of a 'perfect' world' genre.

nostrovia

Lover of all things magical
Registered
Reaction score
SHADOW AND BONE by Leigh Bardugo. I read the trilogy ages ago and want to catch up on the world, etc. before starting SIX OF CROWS.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
LAURA DEAN KEEPS BREAKING UP WITH ME by Mariko Tamaki w/ illustrations by Rosemary Valero-O'Connell (it's a graphic novel)

Wow I love it. Freddy is a 17 yo in an on-again-off-again relationship with Laura Dean, she loves Laura, Laura's got spikes, and neither knows what they want. Lotta angst, confusion, bitterness, humor, and straight talk about young relationship and how they turn toxic, I found myself really connecting with the characters. The art is great, kinda manga-influenced but it felt very realistic and substantial, and Tamaki just writes older teens the best.

starrystorm

Registered
Reaction score
Just finished THE ASSASSIN GAME by Kirsty McKay. 5 out of 5 stars! :hooray: I loved it, and it really helped me learn what I was missing in my own book.

Quick blurb by me:

It's about a boarding school with a game where a "killer" plays pranks on kids in a secret club. Cate has finally joined, but when the game turns real, Cate will do anything to keep the game going.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Hardcover: THE KINGDOM by Jess Rothenberg and IGNITE THE STARS by Maura Milan
Kindle: RUIN OF STARS by Linsey Miller and THE GHOST HUNTER'S DAUGHTER by Caroline Flarity (why is that not hyphenated???)
Audiobook: ON THE COME UP by Angie Thomas and RETURN OF THE KING by JRR Tolkien (not YA)

I also read IF IT MAKES YOU HAPPY by Claire Kann in there when you weren't looking.

ETA: I may switch out the non-hyphenated book for another one for review, since it's not archived on Netgalley until Halloween, and I have a long vacation before then, when I'm sure I'll be reading all the Kindle books. I have another book that's archived on the first day of that vacation, so I'll prolly read it first. Haven't wholly decided.

Last edited:

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Hardcover: GIRLS OF PAPER AND FIRE by Natasha Ngan
Kindle: RUIN OF STARS by Linsey Miller and THE BABYSITTERS COVEN by Kate Williams (another improperly punctuated title)
Audiobook: FRIED GREEN TOMATOES AT THE WHISTLE STOP CAFE by Fannie Flagg and JONATHAN STRANGE AND MR. NORRELL by Susanna Clarke (neither YA)

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I've just started it, but it's a read for review, so I'll definitely have a lot of opinions by the end.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Do you mind if I ask what you think of it? I've been on a long dry spell with YA but have been eyeing this.

Personally, I didn't love it. I thought the pacing was off, there was too much repetition, and the author held out big neon signs that said, "Yes, I used ideas directly from my sources of inspiration and just changed the names." I reviewed it in detail here: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/2923158805

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Hardcover: WE RULE THE NIGHT by Claire Eliza Bartlett and WITH THE FIRE ON HIGH by Elizabeth Acevedo
Kindle: RUIN OF STARS by Linsey Miller and THE MEMORY THIEF by Lauren Mansy
Audiobook: FRIED GREEN TOMATOES AT THE WHISTLE STOP CAFE by Fannie Flagg and JONATHAN STRANGE AND MR. NORRELL by Susanna Clarke (neither YA)

ReadWriteRachel

Probably drinking coffee.
Registered
Reaction score
Re-reading Leigh Bardugo's SIX OF CROWS and side-eyeing my current work-in-progress for not being as splendid as the adventures of Kaz and company. (Something to strive for!)

edutton

Ni. Peng. Neee-Wom.
Registered
Reaction score

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Personally, I didn't love it. I thought the pacing was off, there was too much repetition, and the author held out big neon signs that said, "Yes, I used ideas directly from my sources of inspiration and just changed the names." I reviewed it in detail here: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/2923158805

Sort of what I was afraid of. Sounded so good though. Thank you for the update! :)

starrystorm

Registered
Reaction score
Just finished 'NERVE" by Jeanne Ryan. It was not at all what I was expecting based off the back cover. At some points the plot was so ridiculous I just had to keep reading to see what stunt would happen next. I also didn't agree with the character's choices and felt like I was missing a lot of information. But I did love the first person voice, and I did gobbled it down in a day.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Hardcover: WITH THE FIRE ON HIGH by Elizabeth Acevedo
Library book: THE VANISHING SEASON by Jodi Lynn Anderson
Kindle: RUIN OF STARS by Linsey Miller
For Review: THE MEMORY THIEF by Lauren Mansy
Serious Audiobook: SKYWARD by Brandon Sanderson
Audiobook to fall asleep to: JONATHAN STRANGE AND MR. NORRELL by Susanna Clarke (not YA)

I decided not to finish WE RULE THE NIGHT because I wasn't getting into it, but I also didn't hate it. Just felt like I was struggling through for no reason.

madforest

Registered
Reaction score
SADIE by Courtney Summers. I'm only half way through but I'm so impressed with the writing, so beautiful and descriptive. I feel like I can see everything that's happening

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Hardcover: THE CROWN'S GAME by Evelyn Skye
Library book: THE ASTONISHING COLOR OF AFTER Emily X.R. Pan
Kindle: RUIN OF STARS by Linsey Miller and THE CALCULATING STARS by Mary Robinette Kowal (not YA)
For Review: THE GHOST HUNTER'S DAUGHTER by Caroline Flarity
Serious Audiobook: SKYWARD by Brandon Sanderson
Audiobook to fall asleep to: JONATHAN STRANGE AND MR. NORRELL by Susanna Clarke (not YA)