What YA book are you reading RIGHT NOW?, issue 2

starrystorm

Registered
Reaction score
Just finished $awkill G!rls by Cl@ire Legrand

Disappointed in this book since I had heard a few AW'ers mention it before. For me it was just too graphic. There were sometimes where I asked myself if I really wanted to continue, but graphic stuff was never my cup of tea. I think it would have done better as an adult novel (the teens didn't feel like teens). This was actually the second time I picked up the book because the first time I put it down at 30 pages because I had no idea what was going on.

starrystorm

Registered
Reaction score
Just finished Creep by Eireann Corrigan.

Based on the blurb and the cover, this book screamed it was horror, but actually it was a really cute mystery. I enjoyed it a lot. 4/5 stars.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Hardcover: GIRLS OF STORM AND SHADOW by Natasha Ngan
Library: BRIGHT WE BURN by Kiersten White (must finish this soon)
Kindle: OF ICE AND SHADOWS by Audrey Coulthurst and PRIDE AND PREJUDICE by Jane Austen
For Review: BONDS OF BRASS by Emily Skrutskie (must finish this soon)
Serious Audiobook: THE PEARL THIEF by Elizabeth Wein
Audiobook to fall asleep to: THE MARTIAN by Andy Weir

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Hardcover: SLAY by Brittney Morris
Kindle: OF ICE AND SHADOWS by Audrey Coulthurst
For Review: BONDS OF BRASS by Emily Skrutskie (failing at this one)
Serious Audiobook (but also okay to fall asleep to): HARRY POTTER AND THE PRISONER OF AZKABAN by JK Rowling

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Hardcover: SLAYER by Kiersten White
Kindle: OF ICE AND SHADOWS by Audrey Coulthurst
Serious Audiobook (but also okay to fall asleep to): HARRY POTTER AND THE DEATHLY HALLOWS by JK Rowling

I reread THE LOST COAST in there (which may be my current favorite YA) and THE BONE WITCH (which was more engaging to me when it mirrored Memoirs of a Geisha than when it didn't), as well as a slew of Harry Potters in various formats :greenie

This thread reminds me that I should throw BRIGHT WE BURN, my last library book, back into my car to see if I can finally return it.

Last edited:

Ariel.Williams

Registered
Reaction score
Just finished Sweep: The Story of a Girl and her Monster by Jonathan Auxier. It was super sad. Also learned that the history of chimney sweeps is super messed up! Much like so much of history. And current events.

weird_cat

Registered
Reaction score
Re-reading The Dream Thieves by Maggie Stiefvater. Somehow, she always inspires me to write!

Drascus

Registered
Reaction score
Currently reading Seven Endless Forrests by Genevieve Tucholke. It's a fun and slightly ribald gender-bent Arthurinian story set in fantasy norse-lands.

I'm enjoying it quite a bit!

ULTRAGOTHA

Merovingian Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
I just finished Catfishing on Catnet by Naomi Kritzer. It's a finalist for the Lodestar Award, administered by the Hugos. Very good.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Hardcover: SLAYER by Kiersten White
Kindle: TRULY MADLY ROYALLY by Debbie Rigaud
Serious Audiobook: DREAD NATION by Justina Ireland
Audiobook to fall asleep to: PRINCESS ACADEMY: PALACE OF STONE by Shannon Hale

I listened to POET X and PRINCESS ACADEMY in there too. Audiobooks are definitely dominating my reading

Last edited:

starrystorm

Registered
Reaction score
Just finished "And the Trees Crept In" By Dawn Kurtagich. This book (horror) was amazing! The voice was so unique as was the writing style and the horror was deeply rooted throughout the book. I wish I could lose my memories and re-read this book again to experience the ending again. 5/5 stars.

The Eighteenth Letter

Registered
Reaction score
Reading the EarthSea by Ursula. Its a very simple story written very simply, but there is something to the writing that makes it so easy to read, that its an utter pleasure. I highly recommend it

starrystorm

Registered
Reaction score
Was on vacation, but am back now.

I read:

The Last One To Die by Kelly Garrett....................I really liked the main character. She was snarky and just said whatever was on her mind. She made me laugh a few times. Maybe it's because I read the story in one day, but it felt a little too fast paced to me. Also there were a lot of extra characters to keep track of. 3.75

Invisible Ghosts by Robyn Schneider..................I thought this was going to be a supernatural book, but ended up being a romance (still with ghosts). I'm probably not the best judge for this since I don't normally read straight-up romances. I kept wishing for more supernatural things to happen, even forgetting the name of the main ghost sometimes. I did think the romance was cute though, and the characters felt extremely realistic. 3 stars

Schizo by Nic Sheff.........................................I could tell Sheff did a ton of research on this one based on what I learned in psychology classes. It was an interesting mystery and a nice plot twist at the end. I give this one a 4/

Conjured by Sarah Beth Durst.........................This book was amazing. It was strange, interesting, and spooky. It reminded me of the stuff I write (expecially my latest book except mine's a sci-fi). I loved just how creative this one was as well as clever. I also (as a writer) adored how she switched between first and third based on the state the main character was in. 5 stars for this.

Stolen by Lucy Chirstopher............................Originally when I picked this book up, I wasn't sure how I was going to like it, but oh my gosh, it was amazing. I loved every second of this. The real terror in this story was how realistic it could be--being kidnapped at an airport. I also loved how this book was written. It was written in first person, but adressing the other character as "you." It had no chapters either, so I was sucked totally in. I cried so hard. And the best news is, the author confirmed she was writing a sequel (ten years later). I can't wait to read that. 5 stars.

Last edited:

starrystorm

Registered
Reaction score
Finished "Insanity' by Susan Vaught.

I was excited for this one, but it turned out rather meh. I didn't really like it or hate it. I think there were just too many pov characters and I didn't feel attached to any of them.

ULTRAGOTHA

Merovingian Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
Re-reading Garth Nix's Old Kingdom books.

Netz

Freshly caught writing bug lives!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The view from my stained glass window suggests by
Currently reading The Rules by Tr@cy D@rnt0n. It's about a girl who goes on the run to get away from her 'prepper' father (an extreme survivalist). I'm enjoying it although it's a bit of an uncomfortable read at times given the current world situation.

hester

New year, new avatar.
Registered
Reaction score
Just downloaded Margot Harrison's The Glare--can't wait to start!

Netz

Freshly caught writing bug lives!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The view from my stained glass window suggests by
I have that one to read at some point, too. :)

Anyway, just popping back to say I've just finished The Rules, and I have All. The. Feels. for the ending. The last pages were sublime. :D

ULTRAGOTHA

Merovingian Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
Just finished A Wizards Guide to Defensive Baking by our own T. Kingfisher and it has things to say about society and heroes that we all need to hear right now.

starrystorm

Registered
Reaction score
Stayed up all night to finish Tiffany King's Losing Leah

Super interesting, it made me think long after I finished. The general structure of the book was normal stuff, then boom! a plot twist. This happened like three or four times, and I will admit sometimes it was a bit boring waiting for the plot twists, but they never failed to deliver. This book was so crazy, and the growth in character was phenomenal.

4 stars.

bmr1591

Registered
Reaction score
Finished "Nemesis" by Brendan Reichs this past week. Really engaging storytelling with a twist ending that I'm still not I'm a fan of. With that said, it was good enough for me to pick up the next two books in the series and continue on. Want to see if my supposed plot holes (which are even mentioned near the end as questions) get answers.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Hardcover: CHOSEN by Kiersten White
Kindle: nothing yet
Serious Audiobook: THE ENIGMA GAME by Elizabeth Wein
Audiobook to fall asleep to: THE TWO TOWERS by JRR Tolkien

icedesperado

Registered
Reaction score
I just finished reading ROAR and RAGE by Cora Carmack. The magic system is pretty cool and unique, although I did put down the books once or twice when the main character did rather silly things. I'm looking forward to the third one - it was supposed to come out this month but appears to be delayed.

Up next I think will be THE BONE WITCH by Rin Chupeco.

starrystorm

Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys!

A while ago I started reading The Thousandth Floor by Katharine McGee. I hate not finishing books because it makes me feel guilty because I'd hate it if someone did that to my book, but I had to DNF this book. 120 pages in and nothing interesting had happened. I kept checking how many pages were left and honestly felt like I couldn't do another 300. There were also so many different narrators (5) that if the back cover didn't tell you a bit about each I would have been totally lost. Plus each character had three or four different freinds you had to keep track of as well. The plot didn't excite me either. It was just rich teens doing rich things.

1/5 stars.

ON the other hand...

Just finished Mary Crockett's "How She Died, How I Lived"

It's about an unnamed teenage girl learning to live after a brutal death of a girl in her community that could have been her. I don't usually read contemporary, but something about the title, cover, and font made me grab it last second in Books-a-Million. This book was amazing and poetic (no surprise because I learned Crockett also writes poetry). You go so deep inside the narrator's head, you feel a connection to her. You get a first-row view of her suffering, of her thoughts, of her fear. A beautiful book. A must read for every teen girl (and boys too). It was extremely realistic. It told about friendships and romances and the problems of being a teen girl in this world.

5/5 stars.