How to make some look twitchy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thuro

I'm Batman
Registered
Reaction score
Like the title says. How do you make someone look twitchy? Any ideas. Comics are still images so I'm completely puzzled.

Edit: Accidentally wrote some instead someone in the title. Oops.

Last edited:

snafu1056

Registered
Reaction score
Maybe some motion lines around the person, or exaggerated "twitchy" poses. Unfortunately comic art doesnt deal well with small, subtle movements. You might be better off expressing it through the writing.

Sharii

I draw comics, lots of comics.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sharii.com
Try wide eyes, holding arms/hands close to the body, head down or hunched, or sweat on the face. You can also show nervousness though a character's interaction with the environment. A lot can be shown through subtle body languages and eyes/facial expression without the aid of motion.

Unfortunately comic art doesnt deal well with small, subtle movements.

I disagree. Comic art is a rich and flexible medium, and you can express so much with still images. It depends on your skill and the art style used. A more simplified cartoon may need exaggeration to help convey emotion while a more realistic style can show more nuance.

Thuro

I'm Batman
Registered
Reaction score
Try wide eyes, holding arms/hands close to the body, head down or hunched, or sweat on the face. You can also show nervousness though a character's interaction with the environment. A lot can be shown through subtle body languages and eyes/facial expression without the aid of motion.

I disagree. Comic art is a rich and flexible medium, and you can express so much with still images. It depends on your skill and the art style used. A more simplified cartoon may need exaggeration to help convey emotion while a more realistic style can show more nuance.

Thanks. This is fantastic.

Meg02

Registered
Reaction score
I agree with body language, sweat on the face and wide eyes. What about one eye more closed than the other, like a nervous tick?

Lips open with teeth mashed together? Crooked mouth? I dunno, I'm not an expert I'm just writing what I'm visualising in my head haha.

Ketzel

Leaving on the 2:19
Registered
Reaction score
I think it can vary depending on the context. One image that comes to my mind is someone sitting hunched over, dragging on a cigarette, with piles of half smoked cigarette butts littering the floor around him/her. Another might be a series of frames where the character is dropping things, or gulping coffee. Wide eyes, sweaty brow, biting nails is another possibility. Or someone slamming a door open and the character jumping in reaction.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.