AW is an Amazon Affiliate

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

paypal subscribe button

How To Support AW

Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 1 of 10 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: EUROVISION 2014 MEGA THREAD!!!1!

Hybrid View

pretending to be awake onesecondglance's Avatar

EUROVISION 2014 MEGA THREAD!!!1!

THE COUNTDOWN BEGINS HERE.

Really looking forward to this year. As always, the UK's entry is naff, though at least this time we're taking it relatively seriously. No disrespect to Bonnie or Engelbert, but you need an song that would do well in the chart if the song contest didn't exist to win (barring novelties), which is what all the last few winners have been. I don't think Molly's entry has enough sparkle to it - it's too middle of the road - but I'm hoping for a solid mid-table result.

Iceland's entry looks bonkers and great, and of course Austria will be one of the talking points of the night.

Who's your top pick? What do you think of your nation's entry? And (thank you EMaree and Ramshackle) what's on your Eurovision menu?

Λrchangel: near-future SF noir
    Perpetual Midnight: all those cool nightclub scenes from SF movies with some sort of plot
    Obsolete: One's a young mother. One's a supercop with a psychotic software consciousness squatting in her brain. Together, they fight crime!
    I write music. | I gave in and joined twitter.

banned as an incurable tosspot
    I didn't see the first semi so don't know what got through but I did see last nights. No surprise Poland's entry got through but I doubt anyone who voted for it can remember the actual song.....

Quote Originally Posted by mirandashell View Post
    No surprise Poland's entry got through but I doubt anyone who voted for it can remember the actual song.....

I do, but I know a bit of Polish. :P

Their music video is intended to be a parody. Which I know seems a stretch... but I got the jokes. Donatan's stuff is all like that too.

And yes, I'm stoked that they're in the finals. I doub't they're going to win, but I'm just happy they made it that far ya know?

Really though, I kinda hope that Conchita Wurst wins just because of this quote

I'm just a singer in a fabulous dress, with great hair and a beard.
    Twitter - Writings, YA, nerdy stuffs and the occasional leak of fiction into reality

Instagram - the occasional short story or flash fiction piece tied to some crappy glitch art and attempts at gardening.

Quote Originally Posted by Antonin View Post
    I do, but I know a bit of Polish. :P

Their music video is intended to be a parody. Which I know seems a stretch... but I got the jokes. Donatan's stuff is all like that too.
    I haven't actually seen the video, just the live performance from last night.

I haven't actually seen the video, just the live performance from last night.
    Well, if you really wanna see it. It's right here. It's probably NSFW though. Just a heads up.

I was really hoping Donatan was going to be on stage just holding the limp accordion not doing anything.
    Twitter - Writings, YA, nerdy stuffs and the occasional leak of fiction into reality

Instagram - the occasional short story or flash fiction piece tied to some crappy glitch art and attempts at gardening.

Quote Originally Posted by Antonin View Post
    Well, if you really wanna see it. It's right here. It's probably NSFW though. Just a heads up.

I was really hoping Donatan was going to be on stage just holding the limp accordion not doing anything.
    Ok, I've watched it a couple of times and I still don't get the jokes. So I'm guessing you need knowledge of Polish culture? I sort of think I know what it's getting at with the limp accordion but maybe not......

Hm I haven't seen anything but the UK entry and a quick peek at the Hungarian. I like to be surprised.

Very happy Hungary are through because it means the other half and I will be trash talking and competing (which means I have to pretend to like the UK entry better even if I don't).

Cheese and pineapple is the main menu, because that's the way it's been for Eurovision since I was a kid. Basically, if it's on a cocktail stick, we're having it.

*shoves a takeaway pizza on a cocktail stick for the sake of consistency*
    - HEDGEPIG

Quote Originally Posted by Ramshackle View Post
    *shoves a takeaway pizza on a cocktail stick for the sake of consistency*
    *tries to pile curry on a cocktail stick*

*licks curry off floor*
    Perpetual Midnight: all those cool nightclub scenes from SF movies with some sort of plot
    Obsolete: One's a young mother. One's a supercop with a psychotic software consciousness squatting in her brain. Together, they fight crime!

practical experience, FTW arcan's Avatar
    Let's face it : this year France's gonna win...

... the last place.

I don't think they could have found a more ridiculous and inept group... I'm sure we'll finish with 0 points.

Quote Originally Posted by arcan View Post
    Let's face it : this year France's gonna win...

... the last place.

I don't think they could have found a more ridiculous and inept group... I'm sure we'll finish with 0 points.
    I liked the Corsican fella you had a couple of years ago. But he didn't do very well either. Can't remember last years.

It's tonight!

The fridge is stocked - takeaway menu up to date - surround sound cranked up

... whaddya mean there's another nine hours to go?

Just an hour to go!
    - HEDGEPIG

About 20 more minutes!

Ok, here we go!

Ok, here we go!
    - HEDGEPIG

Are they really going to do a walkabout?

And that is totally the wrong place to put the Green Room. Can you imagine what's going to happen later when the audience have had a few beers?

She really looks like Tatiana Maslany.

I miss Wogan, but Norton isn't too bad.
    - HEDGEPIG

I like Graham. He can be very sharp. Remember his comment about the lesbian kiss last year?

Oh, this is the Cheesecake song. Hmmm....

I like Graham. He can be very sharp. Remember his comment about the lesbian kiss last year?

Oh, this is the Cheesecake song. Hmmm....
    I remember he surprised me (pleasantly). I loved that the traditional snark was upheld.

Okay, song three has the most interesting stageshow so far. Kind of pretty. Song isn't bad either.
    - HEDGEPIG

Oh well 3 out of 3 for forgettable.

Ooh Iceland. I usually like Iceland's entries.
    - HEDGEPIG

Now this is proper Eurovision! I always like Iceland as well. They often do something slightly mad.

Norway's song keeps growin on me

You should get a cream for it.

Page 1 of 10 1234567 ... LastLast