onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
THE COUNTDOWN BEGINS HERE.

Really looking forward to this year. As always, the UK's entry is naff, though at least this time we're taking it relatively seriously. No disrespect to Bonnie or Engelbert, but you need an song that would do well in the chart if the song contest didn't exist to win (barring novelties), which is what all the last few winners have been. I don't think Molly's entry has enough sparkle to it - it's too middle of the road - but I'm hoping for a solid mid-table result.

Iceland's entry looks bonkers and great, and of course Austria will be one of the talking points of the night.

Who's your top pick? What do you think of your nation's entry? And (thank you EMaree and Ramshackle) what's on your Eurovision menu?

:D

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
I didn't see the first semi so don't know what got through but I did see last nights. No surprise Poland's entry got through but I doubt anyone who voted for it can remember the actual song.....

Ramshackle

*scribbles*
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badmenagerie.com
Hm I haven't seen anything but the UK entry and a quick peek at the Hungarian. I like to be surprised. :D

Very happy Hungary are through because it means the other half and I will be trash talking and competing (which means I have to pretend to like the UK entry better even if I don't).

Cheese and pineapple is the main menu, because that's the way it's been for Eurovision since I was a kid. Basically, if it's on a cocktail stick, we're having it.

*shoves a takeaway pizza on a cocktail stick for the sake of consistency*

Antonin

▐п╣�▀╪? ╧ы§�Й!
Registered
Reaction score
No surprise Poland's entry got through but I doubt anyone who voted for it can remember the actual song.....

I do, but I know a bit of Polish. :p

Their music video is intended to be a parody. Which I know seems a stretch... but I got the jokes. Donatan's stuff is all like that too.

And yes, I'm stoked that they're in the finals. I doub't they're going to win, but I'm just happy they made it that far ya know? :D

Really though, I kinda hope that Conchita Wurst wins just because of this quote

I'm just a singer in a fabulous dress, with great hair and a beard.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
I do, but I know a bit of Polish. :p

Their music video is intended to be a parody. Which I know seems a stretch... but I got the jokes. Donatan's stuff is all like that too.

I haven't actually seen the video, just the live performance from last night.

Antonin

▐п╣�▀╪? ╧ы§�Й!
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't actually seen the video, just the live performance from last night.

Well, if you really wanna see it. It's right here. It's probably NSFW though. Just a heads up.

I was really hoping Donatan was going to be on stage just holding the limp accordion not doing anything.

arcan

Registered
Reaction score
Let's face it : this year France's gonna win...

... the last place.

I don't think they could have found a more ridiculous and inept group... I'm sure we'll finish with 0 points.

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
It's tonight!

The fridge is stocked - takeaway menu up to date - surround sound cranked up :D

... whaddya mean there's another nine hours to go?

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Let's face it : this year France's gonna win...

... the last place.

I don't think they could have found a more ridiculous and inept group... I'm sure we'll finish with 0 points.

I liked the Corsican fella you had a couple of years ago. But he didn't do very well either. Can't remember last years.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Well, if you really wanna see it. It's right here. It's probably NSFW though. Just a heads up.

I was really hoping Donatan was going to be on stage just holding the limp accordion not doing anything.

Ok, I've watched it a couple of times and I still don't get the jokes. So I'm guessing you need knowledge of Polish culture? I sort of think I know what it's getting at with the limp accordion but maybe not......

Antonin

▐п╣�▀╪? ╧ы§�Й!
Registered
Reaction score
I love France's song. :D

Ok, I've watched it a couple of times and I still don't get the jokes. So I'm guessing you need knowledge of Polish culture? I sort of think I know what it's getting at with the limp accordion but maybe not......

Partly, or maybe it's just a different sense of humor? I dunno.

Anyway, most of it is making fun of itself in the "let's be over-the-top" kinda way. There's (to quote an article I can't find atm) the beginning with the oversexed and lazy Donatan who can't be bothered to play his own accordion solo (since Poles are apparently lazy and don't want to work) and has a nice car but a really crappy outdated phone. It's also placed in the country side complete with roosters because "that's all there is to Poland." (Hell, even my family forgets that Warsaw is a real city at times. Her old village just recently got running water... that they try not to use because its expensive.) Poland's doing really well economically lately otherwise.

There's the treatment of girls there too. In the beginning they're all dressed up in modern clothes until someone comes and smacks them around to get into something nicer. The churning of the butter while all the men and old people watch and judge them. (Which happens.)

The lyrics then basically talk about how smart, classy, confident and beautiful the women are. Even the "bigger" girl is bursting with charm and confidence.

In their press thing, Donatan and Cleo kept having to explain their stance that they want to be proud of their bodies and, in the end, they don't show nearly as much skin as a music video with Rihanna or Lady Gaga.

Last edited:

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
I love France's song. :D

Partly, or maybe it's just a different sense of humor? I dunno.

Ah I see! Now it makes sense. Yeah, I definitely think you need to know about Polish culture.

I do know that in Britain we see the Poles in a completely different light than they do in America. Mainly cos there aren't so many here and we admire the Polish for what they did in the RAF and whatnot. And as for the rest of Europe, I think that Germans and French and Russians and what not see the Polish as different again. So the video is a pisstake of how they are seen by other Europeans?

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Are they really going to do a walkabout?

And that is totally the wrong place to put the Green Room. Can you imagine what's going to happen later when the audience have had a few beers?

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
I like Graham. He can be very sharp. Remember his comment about the lesbian kiss last year?

Oh, this is the Cheesecake song. Hmmm....

Ramshackle

*scribbles*
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badmenagerie.com
I like Graham. He can be very sharp. Remember his comment about the lesbian kiss last year?

Oh, this is the Cheesecake song. Hmmm....

I remember he surprised me (pleasantly). I loved that the traditional snark was upheld. :D

Okay, song three has the most interesting stageshow so far. Kind of pretty. Song isn't bad either.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Now this is proper Eurovision! I always like Iceland as well. They often do something slightly mad.