"Must read" thrillers?

Aholm83

Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to attempt to write a thriller short story, what books are must reads to get a feel for the genre?

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Some to consider (using a liberal definition of thriller, and just going by memory):

Rebecca
The Day of the Jackal
The Count of Monte Cristo
The Silence of the Lambs
The Maltese Falcon
The Boys from Brazil (or one of the other books by Levin)
Cape Fear
Eye of the Needle
And Then There Were None
In Cold Blood (not a thriller in the ordinary sense, but worth reading)

Aholm83

Registered
Reaction score
Some to consider (using a liberal definition of thriller, and just going by memory)

(snip)

Good list.

Side note, I'm considering a short story about a State Social Worker who snaps due to everything they've seen and is determined to "free" the children from their miserable parents. Is that too cold-blooded on my part?

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
One thing to consider, especially if this is the first short story you've written in a while: it's easy to have "too big" of a story for a short story. Then you can end up with a 14,500 word short story. If you are writing this primarily for your own benefit, that's fine, but it would be hard to place anywhere.

Since Silence of the Lambs often ends up on lists of best thrillers, it's hard to imagine anything too cold-blooded.

Last edited:

Aholm83

Registered
Reaction score
One thing to consider, especially if this is the first short story you've written in a while: it's easy to have "too big" of a story for a short story. Then you can end up with a 14,500 word short story. If you are writing this primarily for your own benefit, that's fine, but it would be hard to place anywhere.

Honestly, I've tried writing in the past but am very critical of myself (i.e. scrapping first chapters time after time). I'm a gardener style writer but am unsure what story size to begin at...

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You might want to read some thriller short stories. Not too many immediately come to mind, but here's a couple of ideas:

A few of Stephen King's short stories could be considered thrillers.

I'm not sure how they are usually classified, but some of Shirley Jackson's (The Lottery) stores could be considered thrillers, I think.

Are you familiar with the Strand Magazine (the modern-day version)? Some of their stories are more thriller or suspense than mystery. I remember one about a book binder who created the most wonderful book covers . . . out of human skin.

jeseymour

Registered
Reaction score
Website
jeseymour.com

Wilde_at_heart

υπείκωphobe
Registered
Reaction score
For a newer book, I'd recommend one called Altar of Bones. It's very fast-paced and reads practically like an action movie. Loads of scenes with spraying bullets and car chases if that's your thing.

Or read the best-sellers/greats in the genre: John Grisham, Dan Brown, Patricia Cornwell, etc.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Or read the best-sellers/greats in the genre: John Grisham, Dan Brown, Patricia Cornwell, etc.

I haven't read Cornwell in years, but Postmortem is one of the only books I've read that creeped me out enough to keep me awake at night. IIRC, it's not terribly long, either.

sheadakota

part of the human equation
Registered
Reaction score
In a thread about must read thrillers- I have to add Robert Crais and Michael Connelley.
Connelley has a few books out that are collections of his short stories too.

Melville

Reader first, writer second
Registered
Reaction score
I would recommend the book THRILLER: STORIES TO KEEP YOU UP ALL NIGHT, edited by James Patterson. Thirty-plus top thriller authors contributed to this analogy, so you will get a good overview of the genre.