Writing about real people when you don't know what they look like

Nikweikel

Registered
Reaction score
I'm working on polishing a draft. The trouble is that several of the characters are semi-famous. Their writings have survived, but there are no portraits or description that I know of describing what they look like.

Two of the characters are Biagio Buonaccorsi and Agostino Vespucci. I imagine Biago to be thick-necked and somewhat heavyset and Agostino to be thin and wiry with a sharp nose that points downwards, but those are just guesses. Agostino was described as trim and blond in the prize-winning "Enchantress of Florence" but I doubt he was. I've checked out the murals of the Vespucci palace (which are always thinly veiled family portraits) and there's not a blond in the lot.

My question is, what sort of liberties should I take? I prefer to take none, but these are somewhat major characters. It's a mystery and they are suspects, so not examining them might seem strange. Agostino I can triangulate from his more famous cousins, but Biagio? Not a clue.

Is there a good way to weasel out of giving a description while still painting a picture for the reader?

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

You could perhaps suggest the effect these guys have on whoever's looking at them. That can create a picture without actual description.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
If there are no images or descriptions of the people, and you need to describe them to make your story work, I think it's ok to invent some plausible description that suits you. It's the same as any other situation where you've done all the research but some gaps still remain: invoke your artistic license and fill them in as you need. If your ordinary manner of handling character descriptions is to be detailed, do the same with them. It's your story. The Portrait Police aren't going to come knocking.