• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Whitelist for Writers

Status
Not open for further replies.

jakobia

Webmaster
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jakobia.se
Are there any whitelist for serious writers, I am tired of doing bakground checks, and I need someone to trust that do objective criticism of text. How to find writers that you can trust for different articles for my project?

JournoWriter

Just the facts, please
Registered
Reaction score
Are you asking if there is a master, global list of experienced writers who have been vetted and background-checked? No, there isn't. Does something like that exist in any other industry?

jakobia

Webmaster
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jakobia.se
Yes it does. But the "whitelist" has to be on a "trustworthy" forum/website to be reliable.

JulieB

I grow my own catnip
Registered
Reaction score
Even if such a list existed, you'd still have to do a lot of work on your own in order to find the right person to critique your work. Someone who does a really good job on romance may not feel they're qualified to critique SF, for example. Some will critique excerpts or short stories only, while others will take on entire manuscripts. Some will only take on query letters.

I suggest you start in the Beta Readers, Mentors, and Writing Buddies forum. Perhaps you've already been there. If not, check out the sticky where people share their good experiences. That may be of help to you. Also read the "Please Read Before Posting!" sticky, as that contains some very useful information, even if you don't plan to post. (You may be looking for a paid critique instead of a beta reader. You'll still find a lot of good information in that area.)

jakobia

Webmaster
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jakobia.se
Even if such a list existed, you'd still have to do a lot of work on your own in order to find the right person to critique your work. Someone who does a really good job on romance may not feel they're qualified to critique SF, for example. Some will critique excerpts or short stories only, while others will take on entire manuscripts. Some will only take on query letters.

I suggest you start in the Beta Readers, Mentors, and Writing Buddies forum. Perhaps you've already been there. If not, check out the sticky where people share their good experiences. That may be of help to you. Also read the "Please Read Before Posting!" sticky, as that contains some very useful information, even if you don't plan to post. (You may be looking for a paid critique instead of a beta reader. You'll still find a lot of good information in that area.)

Thanks Julie!, Can I got beta readers for blogs/website text for objectic quality check? Or is this just for book-writers?

Wilde_at_heart

υπείκωphobe
Registered
Reaction score
You spend some quality time on here, especially in SYW, get to know the other posters better and decide for yourself. Keeping in mind of course, that you've participated enough that they know who you are too.

As for 'objective criticism' beyond pointing out grammar and spelling errors, there's no such thing.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Julie!, Can I got beta readers for blogs/website text for objectic quality check? Or is this just for book-writers?
You would probably need to get experts in the specific field(s) to quality check for non-fiction text.

The closest thing that AW has to a whitelist, I think, is a list of professional freelance editors. I'd recommend any or all of them.... but they do, as expected, charge fees commensurate with their experience and skills.

jakobia

Webmaster
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jakobia.se
You spend some quality time on here, especially in SYW, get to know the other posters better and decide for yourself. Keeping in mind of course, that you've participated enough that they know who you are too.

As for 'objective criticism' beyond pointing out grammar and spelling errors, there's no such thing.

"especially in SYW", Where to find this "SYW"?

jakobia

Webmaster
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jakobia.se
You would probably need to get experts in the specific field(s) to quality check for non-fiction text.

The closest thing that AW has to a whitelist, I think, is a list of professional freelance editors. I'd recommend any or all of them.... but they do, as expected, charge fees commensurate with their experience and skills.

Thx for the list. I am more looking for writers, not agents.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Writers write. Sometimes they help each other critique/beta-read/proofread each others works.

Editors edit. They tell writers how to fix things.

Agents represent writers. They sell writers' books to publishers.

If you are looking for someone to read your blog posts and website articles and comment on the content and/or edit the prose for basic English, you've got three choices:

1. Hire an editor. This will cost you money.

2. Find a writer who has the editing skills you need and is willing to help you in return for something you can do for them (depending on what your skills are -- editing, creating cover art, etc).

3. Find a writer who has the editing skills you need and is willing to help you for free out of the goodness of their heart.

For both #2 and #3, this will require building up trust and a relationship with the person(s). It's probably not something you would want to do with a total stranger, and vice versa.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
And #3s are not going to be advertising themselves too much, I suspect. They are probably in more need of a whitelist (of people not just put to exploit them) than the reverse.

If you want peer review for free that is easier to get, including systems that keep some stats on users like critters or critique circle

Niccolo

Registered
Reaction score
"especially in SYW", Where to find this "SYW"?

SYW stands for Share Your Work. It's a sub-forum here that allows members to post some of their work for critique. You need 50 posts in order to create your own threads, so spend some time critiquing other works, getting to know people, etc.

SYW is a great way for writers to get a fresh set of eyes on their work, without looking for a beta reader/critique partner. Offering critiques, and getting critiques in return, can help form working relationships with other writers. They can become the kind of reliable readers you're looking for, so long as you put in enough work for their writing, too.

jakobia

Webmaster
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jakobia.se
SYW stands for Share Your Work. It's a sub-forum here that allows members to post some of their work for critique. You need 50 posts in order to create your own threads, so spend some time critiquing other works, getting to know people, etc.

SYW is a great way for writers to get a fresh set of eyes on their work, without looking for a beta reader/critique partner. Offering critiques, and getting critiques in return, can help form working relationships with other writers. They can become the kind of reliable readers you're looking for, so long as you put in enough work for their writing, too.

Nice, thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.