• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Writer Beware's 20 Worst Agents

ctripp

Christine Tripp
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christinetripp.com
Most agencies sell authors copies of their books at greatly discounted price for signings and cons, etc. It's really not that unusual...

1) I assume you meant "Publisher" and not "agencies"?
2) NO. Most do not. Signings in a book store, the store will order them in from the Publisher. Signings in other venues, typically a Store is commissioned to sell on site.
At book launches I've attended, the Author has had a local indie bookstore attend and sell the books beside her, as she signed and spoke with everyone.
My Publisher only put out, on average, 4 pic books, 2 other (either chapter, mg, ya... now THAT is small) a year and they still supplied the books to the booksellers for signings/conferences.
3) Conferences, same thing, though my experience in conferences is limited to Children's Publishing. At SCBWI conferences the bookstore consigned for the conference brings in the books for sale. Authors sign but can not sell.

Last edited:

ReadAlways

So many books, so little time!
Registered
Reaction score
Warner Literary Group, which consists of Sarah Warner, is a scam. There have been so far four cases brought against her. I know one of the writers who has had to seek legal help and the stories about Sarah are highly disturbing.

Last edited:

Outthere

Registered
Reaction score
Let's just say that Ms Bauer's understanding of the relevant factual and legal issues leaves something to be desired. No, everything to be desired.

Even if the material stated in the list was untrue—and it's not—there is a virtually absolute privilege to use a trademark as a proper exemplar. In this instance, the only mark at issue might be Bauer's agency name (and it's not a protectable trademark for this purpose, but that's a technical matter); and however disparaging that reference is, without demonstrated falsehood in the stream of commerce there can be no infringement.

Miss Snark is not anonymous. Miss Snark is pseudonymous. Miss Snark is a real person, as is Killer Yapp. In fact, Killer Yapp probably has a better track record with manuscripts than does Ms Bauer. (Note: That's called "hyperbole." It's not actionable.)

Something that is "libelous" is "defamatory." By definition.

Something can only be defamatory if it is untrue. Ms Bauer's posting makes not claim of falsehood. Given the way she throws other language around, I find that curious, to say the least.

I just feel sorry for the poor sod.

ra_april

Registered
Reaction score
The original link is now broken...google searched "writer beware 20 worst agents" and got a blog post with the same broken link. I don't suppose the list still exists anywhere? Or is just no longer updated and there have been too many changes for it to be useful?

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The original link is now broken...google searched "writer beware 20 worst agents" and got a blog post with the same broken link. I don't suppose the list still exists anywhere? Or is just no longer updated and there have been too many changes for it to be useful?
Since the original link was posted by Victoria Strauss 18 years ago, it's safe to say that the bad agents back then no longer exist and have been replaced by other bad agents who no longer exist and who have been replaced by yet other bad agents.... (ETA: well, I hope the old bad agents are gone, but then again, once a scammer always a scammer, so it's probably not safe to say they're gone. They've probably reinvented themselves in new scams. Dammit.)

Victoria's Writer Beware blog remains an active, up to date site tracking scammers, spammers and other bad actors in the industry. Victoria discusses Writer Beware's origins and history on her website.

Welcome to Absolute Write. I encourage you to start a thread in the New Members section to introduce yourself, so that we can get to know you a bit.

Last edited:
Reactions: Maryn and ra_april

Brigid Barry

Under Consideration and Revising
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Seeing that this thread started in 2006 and the last post was seven years ago, my bet would be that the list was no longer relevant.

Necroing an old thread is a rite of passage but it's frowned on. Welcome to the boards and stop by the new member's board to introduce yourself so we can get to know you.

ETA: Cross posted with Unimportant.

Reactions: Maryn

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score

ra_april

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks! Yeah I'm a member of a couple other forums and know necroing old threads is generally frowned upon, but since it's a pinned thread with links that no longer work...I dunno, figured maybe it was worth trying to get more info. :) Thanks for the clarification @CaoPaux .

KC Casey

Registered
Reaction score
Anyone have experience with Elizabeth K. Kracht, either as an agent or editor?

KC Casey

Registered
Reaction score
If she is not in the index, you could start a new thread about her. Do you have a website? Most agents accept queries by email and have a web presence.

Thread Formerly Known as Index
Agents and Agencies
I'm done with the query process and just signed a great deal for my 2nd book. I hired Elizabeth to edit my ms and am curious if anyone has had a similar (odd) interaction with her.

CMBright

Cats are easy, Mice are tough
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think I can start a new thread yet. I've only posted replies here 6x, and I think you need to be more active to start threads.
You need more than 50 to start a thread in SYW. You can start a thread with your first post anywhere else, including Beware or New Members. If you have not, I encourage you to start an intro thread in New Members.

Reactions: Maryn

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Excellent. We look forward to getting acquainted.