The Black List

JEQ

Registered
Reaction score
As a last resort to garner attention for my screenplay, I turned to The Black List. I paid for two professional reviews and both of them were like night and day. The first review was lousy - the script received bad marks all around with an overall rating of 3. The second review received a much higher rating of 7, with markedly higher grades all around. Because of the vast difference in review ratings, The Black List gave me an option to purchase a third review at a discount, which I did. Should the third review be a favorable one, my script will likely land in The Black List's "top scripts" pile, thus becoming more visible to potential industry professionals who might consider purchasing it or representing it for purchase.

The Black List - in addition to a place that lists all of the highly touted screenplays floating around Hollywood that have not yet been made into movies - is a place for unknowns like myself to post their screenplays as well as pay professional readers to write reviews about them. My science fiction/fantasy screenplay, "Space and Time," was finished last year, and after months and months of failing to generate interest for it by querying agencies and production companies, I finally took the dive into The Black List.

In order to have your screenplay hosted by The Black List, it costs $25 per month. A paid review costs $50. So, I initially spent $125 to post the script to the site and to have two readers review it.

Unfortunately, I have no faith that this process is going to help me in the end. The first review where I received a rating of 3 out of 10 was apparently written by somebody who didn't read the script. The second, more positive review was mostly glowing. But because the reader felt my script was too ambitious and unique, its prospects for getting made were low. It was thrilling to read that my script "scores major points for originality, as it’s so highly ambitious and unique that it’s safe to say there’s nothing else out there like it, but under all the huge plot risks is a really well told story of complex characters, with goals and stakes, and a narrative that propels with purpose."

It was sad, however, to read, "This is special material, but it's unfortunately so extravagantly ambitious and complex that it's hard to imagine it being anything more than a popular stunt sample such as BLOCKHEAD (the Charlie Brown spec) or AMERICA: THE MOVIE, which is great for a sample but that's it. And as awesome as it would be to see an army of giant spiders take on a cyborg Hitler ... it's just not commercially viable or realistic, so prospects are low."

I knew when I was writing the script that it would take some money to make it, and that the story was something unlike anything ever conceived. But I had hoped that somebody in Hollywood with half a brain would realize that people are getting tired of all the remakes, reboots and ripoffs. The only reason they're popular is that there's nothing else in theaters to see. Here is a blueprint that could turn into something great. It is commercially viable. I won't get into all of the plot details, but the reader who provided the second review failed to realize just how commercially viable "Space and Time" truly is. The elements that comprise it include time travel, space travel, aliens of various sorts, flying saucers, dinosaurs, giant spiders, man-eating sharks, Bigfoot, and the villain is Adolf Hitler. There is no greater villain to all of mankind than him. How could all of these things together not be commercially viable? Every time you turn the TV on there are shows airing about aliens, Bigfoot, sharks, dinosaurs and Hitler. People can't get enough of it. Here, I throw all of them into the same pot with a story that's "so highly ambitious and unique that it’s safe to say there’s nothing else out there like it," a tale that, despite "all the huge plot risks is a really well told story of complex characters, with goals and stakes, and a narrative that propels with purpose," and I'm told it's not commercially viable.

Am I being told that from now until the end of time the only large-scale space opera/science fiction fantasy films studios will take a chance on are Star Trek and Star Wars movies? That's what it sounds like.

More specifically, does The Black List instruct its readers to knock off points for any script that - regardless of how much the reader likes it - would cost a lot of money to make or is too unique compared to the glut of "been there/done that" flicks constantly being shoved down the public's throat? Shouldn't a decision about that be reserved for the people in Hollywood wearing the money belts?

Kfu3000

I like soup
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.scriptsandscribes.com
Am I being told that from now until the end of time the only large-scale space opera/science fiction fantasy films studios will take a chance on are Star Trek and Star Wars movies? That's what it sounds like.

More specifically, does The Black List instruct its readers to knock off points for any script that - regardless of how much the reader likes it - would cost a lot of money to make or is too unique compared to the glut of "been there/done that" flicks constantly being shoved down the public's throat? Shouldn't a decision about that be reserved for the people in Hollywood wearing the money belts?

Regarding the first part of your question, I have spoken to a lot of reps (agents & managers - I host a podcast) and while I can't say "until the end of time", in the current climate, they say that big budget tentpole sci-fi/fantasy material is generally being developed via proven, successful IP's with an established fan base. Popular books, graphic novels, comics, video games, etc. The reasons for this are both financial - less risk/greater chance of success based on built in fanbase - and appreciation, with an unknown sci-fi/fantasy screenplay being less accessible than a series of popular novels or comic books translated into a script. Obviously established filmmakers can be exempt and if James Cameron or Chris Nolan wanted to develop a whole new sci-fi/fantasy series, studios and/or networks would probably line up to produce them. But for the average screenwriter, selling a non-IP branded sci-fi/fantasy screenplay is extremely difficult... at least in the current marketplace.

Regarding your second question, about the Black List, I have no idea. I am scheduled to interview Franklin in a week or so, so I could ask. As a former studio story analyst though, I can say, I would rate the screenwriter's ability AND the quality of the screenplay itself separately - which included what I felt was the commercial viability of the project was. Honestly though, again going back to your first question, sci-fi/fantasy without a successful brand is a tough tough sell, so regardless of whether or not the reader specifically mentioned the script as not commercially viable, the genre itself marks it as such.

I did want to say though, that it's not that I believe that yours or anyone else's original Sci-fi or Fantasy epic screenplay isn't great or couldn't be the next Star Wars. What I simply saying is that, in this economic climate, studios are taking very few risks on unbranded sci-fi/fantasy specs, preferring to develop known sci-fi/fantasy IP's with an established fanbase.

I guess the big exception is the low budget, direct to DVD/cable places like The Asylum or Syfy, who shoot all kinds of original sci-fi/fantasy content. It is all lower budget however (low risk), but that's the main reason they're willing to invest in original content and not rely on expensive IP's.

I hope this answer wasn't too discouraging. I do love me some great sci-fi and fantasy. Good luck with your script!

Last edited:

Wilde_at_heart

υπείκωphobe
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry, I'm having trouble squaring something being super-original that has Hitler as a villain; that's every cartoon made in the 1970s.

I knew when I was writing the script that it would take some money to make it, and that the story was something unlike anything ever conceived. But I had hoped that somebody in Hollywood with half a brain would realize that people are getting tired of all the remakes, reboots and ripoffs. The only reason they're popular is that there's nothing else in theaters to see Maybe Spiderman IV is, but I can't WAIT to see Sandman when it comes out. Here is a blueprint that could turn into something great. It is commercially viable Enough to re-coup more than $100 Million dollars?. I won't get into all of the plot details, but the reader who provided the second review failed to realize just how commercially viable "Space and Time" truly is. The elements that comprise it include time travel, space travel, aliens of various sorts, flying saucers, dinosaurs, giant spiders, man-eating sharks, Bigfoot Sounds too 'kitchen sink' for me, but where's the concept, the story, the hero?, and the villain is Adolf Hitler. There is no greater villain to all of mankind than him. How could all of these things together not be commercially viable? Every time you turn the TV on there are shows airing about aliens, Bigfoot, sharks, dinosaurs and Hitler. People can't get enough of it. Those shows are cheap to produce, plenty of people don't watch them, and also, I doubt their attention would last if it was ALL of that together in the same episodes Here, I throw all of them into the same pot with a story that's "so highly ambitious and unique that it’s safe to say there’s nothing else out there like it," a tale that, despite "all the huge plot risks is a really well told story of complex characters, with goals and stakes, and a narrative that propels with purpose," and I'm told it's not commercially viable.

Maybe in a new screenplay focus on the story and characters and narrative with a cheaper budget in mind, fewer or simpler 'elements' and save your magnum opus for when you've established yourself.

JEQ

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry, I'm having trouble squaring something being super-original that has Hitler as a villain; that's every cartoon made in the 1970s.

I've seen every Scooby Doo episode, every Super Friends cartoon, every Fat Albert cartoon ... I've seen every 70s cartoon ever made, even Goober and the Ghost Chasers, and Hitler appeared in none of them. Sure, Hitler has been a villain in a lot of movies over the years, but never in the way he's depicted in my story.

Maybe in a new screenplay focus on the story and characters and narrative with a cheaper budget in mind, fewer or simpler 'elements' and save your magnum opus for when you've established yourself.

Yeah, that's the idea for the next one.

JEQ

Registered
Reaction score
But for the average screenwriter, selling a non-IP branded sci-fi/fantasy screenplay is extremely difficult... at least in the current marketplace.

You know, I knew this going in. But I was hoping to buck that trend. I've spent so much time developing this over the past couple of years that I really started to believe it had a chance.

I originally wrote the story in novel form. It was a film in my mind but because of its complexities, trying to write it as a script from the outset would have been too hard. When I finished the book, I published it on Amazon under the title "The Ninth Leg" with no fanfare or advertising. I just wanted to see what the response would be. After time, I began receiving reviews for the book, and most of them were positive. The reviews helped me to realize what people liked most about it and what was unnecessary. So, I went off with what I presumed was the story's gold and transformed it into a screenplay.

Now, after three years of working on this thing, I've reached the last stop - The Black List.

The first review was a complete waste of money. The person who wrote it obviously only skimmed the material and wrote a completely half-assed review. He or she said it didn't work but offered no reasons why.

The second review was obviously written by somebody who did read it. This person wrote that the "whole re-imagining of World War 2 as a futuristic battle between alien races with Hitler still the catalyst sounds crazy on the surface, but because the story is told through character ... it works. Even with the huge ideas, metaphors and revisionist history at play, it’s all surprisingly easy to follow because it’s told through character, which is a huge victory."

So now I've paid for a third review, and God only knows how that will play out. It's like playing a slot machine in Vegas. Will I again get a reader who might be having a bad day and only wants to collect her reading fee, or will I get somebody truly interested in the genre who takes his work seriously?

But does it really matter what rating I get? As you have pointed out, if it's not something that has done extremely well in some other format, forget it. Hollywood won't roll the dice. Movies have been reduced to remakes and sequels and prequels and adaptations and ripoffs and so forth. Rarely is there anything big made based on a premise designed specifically for cinema. The original Star Wars film was something that was and look how that turned out. Or how about Raiders of the Lost Ark? I was a kid when these movies came out and what made them so cool was they were something I had never seen or dreamed of before. What happened to movies like these?

Last edited:

JEQ

Registered
Reaction score
I did want to say though, that it's not that I believe that yours or anyone else's original Sci-fi or Fantasy epic screenplay isn't great or couldn't be the next Star Wars. What I simply saying is that, in this economic climate, studios are taking very few risks on unbranded sci-fi/fantasy specs, preferring to develop known sci-fi/fantasy IP's with an established fanbase.

But wouldn't you think that, with yet more Star Wars sequels on the horizon, other studios might want to try riding on Disney's coattails with an original sci-fi/fantasy epic of their own? The time is ripe now, one would think. Or maybe they're planning to wait and see how the latest sequels do? Then they can slap a derivative piece of crap together for a quick buck.

Kfu3000

I like soup
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.scriptsandscribes.com
So now I've paid for a third review, and God only knows how that will play out. It's like playing a slot machine in Vegas. Will I again get a reader who might be having a bad day and only wants to collect her reading fee, or will I get somebody truly interested in the genre who takes his work seriously?

I wouldn't say necessarily, if you don't get a good score, that they don't take their work seriously. Sure, there is the possibility the reader isn't very good or not a sci-fi fan. There's also the possibility that they just didn't respond to your material. It happens. If most readers and analysts like a screenplay, but a few don't, then that's usually just a subjective bias or potentially bad readers. If a majority of readers don't respond to a script then, generally speaking, it's probably not very good. I have no idea which yours is. Hopefully the first, but again, you said yourself, you knew sci-fi is a tough sell and commercial viability is a part of the coverage process.

But does it really matter what rating I get? As you have pointed out, if it's not something that has done extremely well in some other format, forget it. Hollywood won't roll the dice. Movies have been reduced to remakes and sequels and prequels and adaptations and ripoffs and so forth. Rarely is there anything big made based on a premise designed specifically for cinema. The original Star Wars film was something that was and look how that turned out. Or how about Raiders of the Lost Ark? I was a kid when these movies came out and what made them so cool was they were something I had never seen or dreamed of before. What happened to movies like these?

Development budgets shrank and lots of big tentpole films based on successful IP's did extremely well (Harry Potter, Various Superhero films, Transformers, etc.) that they don't feel the need to gamble on unknown properties. And if they do, it's usually with an established filmmaker and not a spec from a first time writer. That being said, if your script is amazing, even if it doesn't sell, it can be a strong writing sample. A majority of specs, even good ones, don't sell. They can still help get writing gigs.

But wouldn't you think that, with yet more Star Wars sequels on the horizon, other studios might want to try riding on Disney's coattails with an original sci-fi/fantasy epic of their own? The time is ripe now, one would think. Or maybe they're planning to wait and see how the latest sequels do? Then they can slap a derivative piece of crap together for a quick buck.

There are numerous sci-fi projects in development, although many of them get stuck there. These projects are so expensive that studios are hesitant to make them unless they're very VERY confident in the project. A $40 million dollar rom com does poorly in a theater, it's a write off. A $280 million dollar sci-fi epic bombs, stock prices drop and people lose jobs. So their logic is, hedge their bets and find strong IP's to develop and they are very active in this area. That's the reason San Diego Comic Con is more an entertainment showcase and less a comic book convention these days. The studios are ALL in search of the next great superhero, sci-fi, fantasy franchise. Sorry to say, they're just not really searching piles of specs from new writers in search of it is all.

Last edited:

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
As a last resort to garner attention for my screenplay, I turned to The Black List.
(snip)
Should the third review be a favorable one, my script will likely land in The Black List's "top scripts" pile, thus becoming more visible to potential industry professionals who might consider purchasing it or representing it for purchase.
[That's the standard for 'top script'? Two favourable reviews? That 'top script' list must be huge!]
The Black List - in addition to a place that lists all of the highly touted screenplays floating around Hollywood that have not yet been made into movies - is a place for unknowns like myself to post their screenplays as well as pay professional readers to write reviews about them.
[Okay, 'highly touted' scripts are on this massive list , and not getting made- what impact do you think your 'non-touted' script will make?]
(snip)
The elements that comprise it include time travel, space travel, aliens of various sorts, flying saucers, dinosaurs, giant spiders, man-eating sharks, Bigfoot, and the villain is Adolf Hitler. There is no greater villain to all of mankind than him. How could all of these things together not be commercially viable? Every time you turn the TV on there are shows airing about aliens, Bigfoot, sharks, dinosaurs and Hitler. People can't get enough of it.
Putting all of these things together isn't going to multiply their viability. More the reverse:
People like hamburgers, roast turkey, chicken wings, egg rolls, tacos, and ice cream. But not all on one plate.
In a two-hour movie, each of your elements is going to get, what, a minute's attention each? You'd barely have time to introduce an idea or image before it's on to the next.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Hollywood won't roll the dice. Movies have been reduced to remakes and sequels and prequels and adaptations and ripoffs and so forth. Rarely is there anything big made based on a premise designed specifically for cinema. The original Star Wars film was something that was and look how that turned out. Or how about Raiders of the Lost Ark? I was a kid when these movies came out and what made them so cool was they were something I had never seen or dreamed of before. What happened to movies like these?
I don't believe that either was a first project. Spielberg and Lucas spent years proving they could turn out a 'good' product before anyone trusted them with all that money.

JEQ

Registered
Reaction score
I don't believe that either was a first project. Spielberg and Lucas spent years proving they could turn out a 'good' product before anyone trusted them with all that money.

I'm just frustrated.

JEQ

Registered
Reaction score
Well, received my first pro download on The Black List yesterday. On one note, it's sad that it took nearly a year to get "Space and Time" before the eyes of at least one industry professional. On another note, it's great that at least one industry professional has decided to consider whether my script is worthy of anything.

Who is this "industry professional," you ask? Therein lies a mystery. I will probably never know. Unless this person really likes it and decides to contact me. It could be a representative from a Hollywood agency. It could be the head of some production company. It could be an actor. It could be a director. The Black List does not tell you who it is. I really hope it's Steven Spielberg, and I really hope he loves my story. Unrealistic? Of course. But I'm paying for this service which, among other things, gives wannabe screenwriters the ability to dream that they might be walking into a very realistic best case scenario.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I never heard of the BlackList so I have a naive question. Why are you sure the "industry professional" is even real? Because everything so far from the "tie breaker review at a discount"on sounds like a way to get money from you. What high budget movie was ever discovered via this site?

JEQ

Registered
Reaction score
From everything I've read, it's allegedly reputable. I've been reading about it for a while. You'll find stories like this all over the net - http://nofilmschool.com/2013/05/warner-bros-hires-screenwriter-black-list-service/

But hey, maybe you make a great point? Maybe it is another way for parasites to suck money out of the pockets of the vulnerable?

Consider me a guinea pig. I'll let everybody know how it all turns out in the end.

Last edited:

Bergerac

Reading & Writing
Registered
Reaction score
I never heard of the BlackList so I have a naive question. Why are you sure the "industry professional" is even real? Because everything so far from the "tie breaker review at a discount"on sounds like a way to get money from you. What high budget movie was ever discovered via this site?

Besides writing true crime (my hobby), I'm a producer who has pages and pages of industry credits.

I have access to the Blacklist and I was screened for my "credentials" as were my partners.

The Blacklist came "online" in the fall of 2012 and it's run by Franklin Leonard, one of the most respected names in the world of screenwriters and for the cause of diversity. Disney and Fox, among others, have partnered with BL.

There are thousands, and I mean thousands, of posts about the BL over at Done Deal.

There are numerous success stories and I can personally verify a half dozen of them. However, for every success story, there's about 100-1000 no-success stories. A script needs a high rating from a paid evaluation to make it into the industry emails; only a very small percentage receive a high rating. However, "buzz" can cause a flurry of downloads of a single script, even without any ratings.

It's a great tool. It's not the be-all-end-all. For example, those who receive 8s and above can use that in a query and I can almost guarantee that they'll receive read requests.

Producers like the BL because a respected entity has sifted through the pile and indicated what's worth taking a look at. And we don't have to pay for the coverage. BL is sort of a clearing house for good scripts. And we producers can look at scripts, by downloading them, without being pestered by the screenwriter. Yes, I'm a screenwriter (or was) and it's only now that I realize what a hassle it can be to request a script from a un-repped screenwriter. If we reject it, they want to know why and many have tried to tell us why we were wrong. After a dozen disgruntled screenwriters showing up at our (small) studio, our policy now is only to read what comes from managers or agents, or scripts that won or placed in a major contest... or off the BL. The layer of protection is priceless.

It's not a foolproof system. We have a script currently in production right now, a contained horror feature that was a prize winner in a major contest, that we loaded into the BL just to see what the result would be. It got an overall score of 4, which is substantially below the average of 5 something and WAY off the magic 8. The reader said no one would ever make it. It's wrapping up production as I write this.

However, far from being dismayed by the reader's comment and the result, I use this as an example of how subjective this business is. When we employ a qualified reader with credentials a mile long, subjectivity still comes into play.

I wholeheartedly recommend the BL. $25 a month to host, $50 per professional reader review (though I would advise a writer to get two), so $125 will give you a pretty idea of where you stand with the pros and hopefuls.

Read the 10 million posts over at Done Deal and you'll hear all sides of the argument. But BL is far and away the most respected hosted screenplay site there is.

Some of the best scripts I've ever come across (MCCARTHY, in particular) rose to the top of the BL.

JEQ

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you very much, Bergerac, for the insight. Very, very informative. I guess I should feel pretty good about getting a pro download after receiving ratings of 3 and 7.

I felt pretty good about listing my script on there, then I felt frustrated, but after reading your post, I feel a lot better regardless of what happens with it.

After all my research, this seems like the best route for unknowns. Yeah, there's some money spent, but if one can get that magical 8 like you said, it might be worth it. At least you can get an idea where your script stands. Mine at the moment seems a bit polarizing as that first review was completely negative compared to the second one. Maybe the third time's a charm? Or my worst nightmare.

Querying got me absolutely nowhere. It seems people in the industry will not spend time reading them no matter how brilliantly they are written. And believe me I tried everything.

JEQ

Registered
Reaction score
Well, it's over. Received the third review. A four (4). That's the bad news. The good news is I was offered a fourth review at a discounted price! That means if I take the bait, I'll pay another 25 bucks for a review, and another 25 bucks on top of that to have it hosted on the site for another month.

That's not gonna happen, though. The Black List has convinced me that my movie won't get made. It's not formulaic enough. Too original. Back to the drawing board. I promise the next one will be a rehash of something, and real dumb. A sure hit.

Melville

Reader first, writer second
Registered
Reaction score
It's sounds like the 7 was the outlier, so your script is probably closer (in industry terms) to a 3-4. That's not bad for a non-pro, especially when they are evaluating scripts not just on merit but on the commercial viability. Even the one reader who liked your script said it wasn't commercial and the prospects are low.

If you are saying the highly rated scripts -- 9, 10s -- are formulaic and stupid, I'd say you haven't read any of them. As one of my clients is a producer and regularly downloads the top list scripts, I've read close to 80 of them. Highly original is how nearly all the top scripts can be described. Not dumb by anyone's standards.

In your screenplay, you are using staples of 50s B-movies -- giant spiders, Hitler, extraterrestrials -- it's hard to immediately think "original" since those elements have been done to death.

If you really think your work is spectacular, you should easily be able to win one of the significant screenplay contests out there that gravitate toward quirky stuff -- BlueCat, Austin, Fresh Voices.

If you don't move forward in any of them, you might consider writing something that's brilliant and low-budget.

JEQ

Registered
Reaction score
Did I say the other scripts were dumb? I don't think so. I said I was gonna write something formulaic and dumb. That's what I said.

That's mostly what Hollywood churns out, isn't it? Just recently I watched sci-fi film Pacific Rim. It cost a lot of money to make and was a piece of crap. How something like that ever got a green light I'll never know. Went to see Godzilla with my kid over the weekend. Great special effects, but otherwise crap.

But back to The Black List, all of the reviewers in my opinion just didn't get it. I've had other intelligent people look over my script and more than one felt that, if it gets before the right set of eyeballs in Hollywood, it's going to get made and it will make a lot of money.

Before Godzilla began on that great big Imax screen, there was a preview for Guardians of the Galaxy, the next big Marvel offering. It came across as a highly expensive to make, science fiction comedy adventure. I never heard of Guardians of the Galaxy, and neither did my 12-year-old son. But we both want to go see it. My screenplay, according to the folks who reviewed it and in my own mind, is a highly expensive to make science fiction comedy adventure. But it's not commercially viable, they say. Why? Guardians of the Galaxy apparently is. Just because it was a Marvel comic book? That will have nothing to do with its success, because I guarantee you the people lining up to see it will have never read one word of that comic book series before. They'll be going to see it because the trailer looks great.

The trailer for my film would look great, too. People wouldn't care whether it was based on a Marvel or DC comic. They would see that trailer and they would know this is something that they don't want to miss.

The Black List is tantamount to playing the lottery. Some guy writes a script about a Philadelphia Eagles quarterback who is outed as a homosexual on the eve of the Super Bowl. One reviewer gives the effort a rating of 10. This movie, in the mind of this particular reviewer, is highly commercially viable. Really? Oh, yeah, everybody and their grandmother will be lining up for that one. NFL fans will be camping outside theaters the day before opening night, all in high anticipation.

The best example is that offered by Bergerac. The script for a movie presently under production ranks a rating of 4 on The Black List. The reviewer doesn't think anybody will ever make it. That says it all.

Am I upset with The Black List? No. The dice just didn't roll my way. For its third review, my script could have easily landed on the lap of somebody who saw things like Reviewer Number 2. Then you could have called Number 1 the outlier. I'm just done playing the game. No best of five.

JEQ

Registered
Reaction score
In your screenplay, you are using staples of 50s B-movies -- giant spiders, Hitler, extraterrestrials -- it's hard to immediately think "original" since those elements have been done to death.

Please believe me when I tell you that none of the above has been done the way as presented in my screenplay.

As the outlier states, the script "scores major points for originality, as it’s so highly ambitious and unique that it’s safe to say there’s nothing else out there like it."

This is something that was not disputed by the two other reviewers. In fact, it is for this reason that they gave it low scores.

And that is why formulaic and dumb will be the way this writer operates from here on out. Most people aren't prepared to give a stamp of approval on something they've never seen before. It makes them uncomfortable. It takes them out of their safe zone.

creativexec

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
And that is why formulaic and dumb will be the way this writer operates from here on out. Most people aren't prepared to give a stamp of approval on something they've never seen before. It makes them uncomfortable. It takes them out of their safe zone.

I would disagree with this statement. People are looking for original material with a unique voice. It may not be something that gets produced (production being an unbelievable scenario for most scripts), but it could definitely lead to getting the writer work (a believable scenario).

However, the script needs to be good. Original doesn't mean it's good. Writing original crap defeats the purpose.

Too many new writers have high opinions of their work when no one else does. "It's not that the script sucks - it's everyone on the planet who reads it." This delusion is what keeps them from evolving and maturing their craft.

As for "formulaic and dumb," most writers are so untalented, they can't even pull that off.

Good luck.