Spinach Parmesan Balls

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
I am rarely in this forum because I am not what you'd call a cook. Or a baker. It's not that I can't cook or bake. I can. When I want to. I just never want to.

Whenever my husband's family gathers, we do pot luck. Christmas, Easter, Birthdays, whatever. Everyone makes 1 or 2 things, and we always end up with way too much food.

I am the token "healthy one." My sisters-in-law are AMAZING cooks, but usually the stuff they bring isn't too healthy. After a year or two of being in this family, they started thinking of me and making an "Alpha friendly" version just for me when possible.

Anyway, this past Easter, I tried my hand at something I found by chance on Good Friday:

2 10oz packages of frozen spinach (thawed and drained)
2 1/4 c stuffing mix (I used 2 c)
1/2 c shredded parmesan cheese
2 small onions (minced)
6 eggs, beaten (I used 3)
1/2 c butter, melted (I used 1/4 c)
garlic salt, salt, pepper (I didn't measure)

Mix it all up, roll into balls, and place on a cooking sheet (sprayed with Pam). Bake for 20 minutes at 350.

I don't think I drained the spinach as thoroughly as I should have, maybe, but there was a lot of squeezing to get the excess liquid out.

Oh, my goodness! Everyone LOVED them! Even my husband. Granted, I didn't use any "fake" ingredients like egg beaters or low-fat cheese. They went so fast. They are reheat-able, but best fresh out of the oven. A bit crunchy. But melt-in-your mouth, cheesy deliciousness.

I made between 30 and 35 balls, depends on the size you make them.

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
Mmm...sound delicious! Will have to try this. Thanks for the recipe. :)

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
Enjoy, and let me know how it works out for you!

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I make fresh spinach all the time, so I'll try them with that. I may even have a box of stuffing mix in the cupboard...

This sounds tasty and healthy both. Squeezing the moisture out of spinach is a pain, but I usually just wash my hands well and grab handfuls of it once it cools enough.

Thanks for the recipe.

Maryn, copying and pasting

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
YUMM-O

OMG - This sounds amazing!

I lurve me some spinach and parmesan cheese.

What a cool alternative to Sausage Balls (which I lurve as well) ;)

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm totally making this on the weekend.

I didn't even know spinach had balls.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, I made these Saturday, and took pictures which I have yet to get off the camera. I jotted down specifics of what worked great and what I could have done better.

I started with 0.6 pounds of fresh baby spinach. I added about 1 Tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil to a large saute pan, let it heat on medium, added the spinach (which filled my large skillet to the brim), covered the pan, and reduced the heat to low. I checked at five minutes, stirred it some, and it was fully wilted at about eight minutes. I let it sit in the pan to cool.

While that was happening, I measured the stuffing mix into a large bowl. I was at two cups and saw I'd used most of the package, so I dumped it all in. I'd say it was probably 2 and 3/4 c. total.

I bought shredded Parmesan just for this purpose, since I usually only have fat-free grated "fake" Parmesan in the house. I plopped a half cup into the bowl with my stuffing mix. (Fat-free products often react differently, not melting at the temperature you expect, so I try not to use them the first time I try a recipe.)

I used 1/2 of a large mild Mayan onion. Here I made my biggest mistake, not chopping it finely enough. Yes, the recipe says "minced," but no-o-o, I just chopped it. It wasn't a fatal error, but it would have been better with smaller pieces.

I beat four eggs, since that's all I had in the house. I figured the extra stuffing mix justified using more than the three Alpha Echo used. Into the bowl.

I prepared the cookie sheet, which I covered with foil and sprayed with Pam.

By now the wilted spinach was cool enough to handle, so I washed my hands and picked it up by small handfuls, squeezed each one over the sink, and put it on my cutting board. When I had all the spinach there, I ran a sharp knife over it, cutting it into smaller pieces. Then I placed a second cutting board over it and pressed, hard, squeezing out quite a bit more liquid into the sink. I added it to the bowl.

I had one partial stick of butter in the house, 6 Tablespoons, so that's how much I melted and added. I stirred everything up, dusted it with sea salt, garlic powder, and some pepper, stirred again.

Time to preheat the oven.

How big to make the balls? I couldn't tell, so I divvied the bowl's contents into fourths and tried to make nine balls out of each. The sides caved in at some point, and I ended up making 32 balls each about the size of a golf ball.

The kitchen, then the whole downstairs, started smelling wonderful at ten minutes. At twenty, we each tasted on and agreed they could use a bit more time to bake the center more firm. Ate two more at 25 minutes. They baked a total of 30 minutes when the tops were getting a little too browned and we decided they must be done.

Then they disappeared in short order. Total success!

We have agreed that this is also a recipe which could be altered, adding things like chopped sauted mushrooms, sundried tomato, etc.

Maryn, with thanks for the recipe

ULTRAGOTHA

Merovingian Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
My wife made these last night. She used whole leaf frozen spinach and larger chunks of onion. I would have pulsed it all through the food processor one or two times, but she likes larger chunks.. She says if we do it again, she won't remove as much of the water from the spinach because even with six eggs it was a little dry and didn't cling together well. But they sure tasted good!

Thanks for the recipe.

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Wow! I've loved that recipe for almost 30 years - it's always a winner. Haven't made it in a while, but I'm thinking I need to fix that. :)

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I used a flavored stuffing mix, my grocery store's brand, chicken. I would think if you just used stuffing crumbs or croutons, there might be insufficient seasoning.

Maryn, suddenly wanting these again

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
I used chicken flavor as well. I didn't really see that there was any non-flavor stuffing. I agree that it really adds to the taste.

I thought of trying seasoned Panko crumbs but was afraid of what it would do to the texture.

(I'm no cook, so stepping outside of the recipe to try something different is a bit scary to me)

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
We have agreed that this is also a recipe which could be altered, adding things like chopped sauted mushrooms, sundried tomato, etc.

Maryn, with thanks for the recipe

Ooooh...wow. I never thought of that! sundried tomatoes...that would add a very interesting additional flavor. I am planning to make these again in a couple weeks for a family gathering, so perhaps I'll try that. Thanks for the idea, and I'm so glad they worked out well!

You probably needed to cook them a bit longer because it sounds like they were a bit bigger. Mine were probably the size of...half a golf ball. LOL

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I customarily make it with a bag of Pepperidge Farm stuffing - it's nicely seasoned without being overpowering (or excessively salty).