AW is an Amazon Affiliate

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

paypal subscribe button

How To Support AW

Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Welcoming Pagan pathways

Threaded View

Quote Originally Posted by kuwisdelu View Post
    No, not preachy.
    Oh good

Two Spirit is the preferred Pan-Indian term. Lots of outdated anthropological texts will use "berdache", but please don't use it. It's not our term, and its etymology is troublesome.

(Don't worry about having used it just now. Now you know. )

As I'm sure you know, Two Spirit is a catch-all term, and traditionally different tribes had different roles and terms for Two Spirits. In Zuni, the term is łamana (often spelled lhamana — that Wiki page describes all łamana as being AMAB, but that is probably not accurate... just as trans men are invisible today, most anthropologists didn't care about gender non-conforming AFAB back then either.). One of the most famous Two Spirit in history was a Zuni łamana named We'wha. She and I are the same clan, actually.
    Thank you for seeing my inquiry as a teachable moment, you must know I meant no disrespect, at all and I sincerely mean it when I say I appreciate all of this information you have been providing. I had read the "term I will no longer use" in an old fiction novel written by archaeologists and did some further research on it years ago. Only recently did I come across something that mentioned it was not a good term to use, but who ever knows what's good or not when the resources are so limited. So now I REALLY DO know. Thank you

I have a short story in SYW that draws on Zuni mythology and our łamana kachina, which I wrote just before coming out and deciding to transition, if you're interested.
    I definietely AM interested in reading this and I will do so very soon-

Unfortunately, no. My mom is pretty conservative and sadly she's been by far the least accepting of everyone I've told so far.

My brother and sister-in-law have been great and supportive though.
    I'm so sorry to hear that your mom is not accepting this. I find it's the case with many gay and transgendered people I know. Hopefully she will come around, for her sake and yours. I'm very glad your brother and sister in law have been great and supportive. I'm sure that really helps a lot. I hope you have a loving support network of people near you.

It's really just Americanized Western culture at this point, but yes, it was originally Christianity's influence that changed things. So yes, unfortunately, there's a lot of homophobia and transphobia today. In most tribes, really.
    This makes me very sad. I wish it wasn't true.

My issue is with colonialism and imperialism and with the people who bent and twisted Christianity to their purpose. I won't hate Christianity because some people used it to spread intolerance. I can find beauty in all religions.

I understand why many people have a problem with it though.
    Oh I don't hate Christianity, either or any religion. I'm rather fascinated with religions of all kinds. I do have several "issues" with it though, meaning the issues keep it from resonating with me and keeping me from being able to be a Christian. I greatly admire people who can firmly say they are the religion they are and have no doubts about following it whatsoever- cause I certainly cannot say that. I will graciously admit I do not have all the answers, but I will always listen to what people have to say, as long as they say it respectfully.

There aren't. There are very few, and most of them have questionable credibility considering they tend to be filtered through the lens of white cis male ethnologists from a century ago.
    Yep.

Thanks again for the convo and information. I've learned quite a bit from you.
    Last edited by Disa; 05-27-2016 at 02:10 AM.