• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Silence in the Library Publishing

roach

annoyed and annoying
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.idiorhythmic.net
They've run quite a few successful Kickstarters. The names of the authors and editors involved are ones I recognize. FWIW.

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Roach, :hi:

thanks for the comment.

What are 'Kickstarters' exactly?

Last edited:

roach

annoyed and annoying
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.idiorhythmic.net
Hi Roach, :hi:

What are 'Kickstarters' exactly?

Crowd funding for projects.

They ran one for Time Traveled Tales. And here's the one for their latest Athena's Daughters. If you click on the links you'll see who is involved author and editor-wise.

From the website it looks like they aren't open to submissions at the moment. They've got four novels and six anthologies out (or coming soon?). Of their anthologies: Time Traveled Tales is out in print (POD) and e-book. I looked on Amazon.com and it's available there.

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah I noticed they weren't open to subs, but I thought I'd keep checking back in the future :).

They look good/promising, so I wanted to know what the whole kickstarter thing was all about ... I just found it on another thread here.

Thanks so much, Roach :Hug2:

Last edited:

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
I know several people involved in their Athena's Daughters anthology, for which there was also a successful Kickstarter. All are writers I've known for years and are recognized in the industry.

Again, FWIW.

Last edited:

shelleyo

Just another face in a red jumpsuit
Registered
Reaction score
I'm starstruck looking at the TOCs of the anthologies. And the ebook versions of those anthologies are only $5! That's an incredible deal. They're edited by Jean Rabe, which means they're good. The names on the anthologies lead me to believe they're probably at least mostly by invitation rather than submission call.

The anthology they're crowdfunding for now gets you the ebook of the anthology for just $10, and you're helping C.J. Henderson's fight against cancer.

I don't know if I'd ever have anything suitable to submit there if/when they have subs open, but I'm about to give them some of my money. :)

Last edited:

Thedrellum

Grr. Argh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.patreon.com
Just noting they are going to have an open call for submissions from June 1st to July 1st for Athena's Daughters vol. II. Not helpful to me, as I'm not a woman (and the first requirement is that the story is written by a woman), but I thought I'd let people know.

slhuang

Inappropriately math-oriented.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.slhuang.com
I met and became friends with the CEO of Silence in the Library Publishing at Comic Con, and I was VERY impressed. They're an extremely dedicated small press and seem like absolutely solid business people. It's very important to them to treat their authors well (and pay them well), and they care a lot about giving their all to every one of the books they publish.

They're also very passionate about diversity -- publishing characters of all genders, ethnicities and backgrounds is extremely important to them. In fact, I was thrilled to hear how strongly they felt on that point. :)

If they open up submissions later I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them to people as a publisher to consider.

Vince524

Are you gonna finish that bacon?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
I'm currently with Silence in the Library. My first book Vision of Shadows is out through them. And they contracted me for the entire series. (5 books total) the 2nd of which comes out in February.

So far I've been very happy with them and have enjoyed working with everyone I've had contact with. There are 2 friends of mine that are also authors with them, one came out with their book before mine and one is being released soon. Both of them seem to feel the same way.

Just as an example, when it was time to come up with my cover, there was a lot of back and forth. I had a concept that I really wanted to use, and they made every effort to try and make it work. (And they really tried hard.) However, we couldn't get it quite right. The artist came up with a new design and although different, it just seemed to work really well. I made a few suggestions and it all came together. But at no time was I told that I had no input. My input was not only welcome but sought after. You can see it down below in my signature and as my avie.

I had a choice of 4 different publishers to go with, but I feel I made the right choice with SITL.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sigh. It seems these days that it isn't a question of "if" a small trade publisher will close, but "when."

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
FYI, they're in the process of closing down and reverting all rights back to the authors.

Sigh. It seems these days that it isn't a question of "if" a small trade publisher will close, but "when."

Yes, but isn't this the way a good one does it? Actually closing down and reverting people's rights, as opposed to lying, and stiffing people and making them fight to get their rights back? Maybe the principals will re-appear later.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, but isn't this the way a good one does it? Actually closing down and reverting people's rights, as opposed to lying, and stiffing people and making them fight to get their rights back? Maybe the principals will re-appear later.

Of course, and I applaud them for doing right by their authors. My sigh above was a reaction to how difficult it is for small trade publishers - even the good ones - to keep their heads above water.