Royalty for a Week, and Shameless The Rest of The Time (Volume IV)

LadyV

Tree Hugger
Registered
Reaction score
Good afternoon, Royals!

That's great to hear, Ambrosia! I deal with some chronic pain, so I somewhat know what it's like. Recently, I haven't been feeling all that great, but it's just something I deal with. Anyway, I'm happy to hear you're feeling better. :)

tiddlywinks

Chaser of Shineyyyy Plot Bunnies
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Trying to Remember Where I Stashed My Muse
Website
www.elainewitt.com
Good evening, fair Royals!

Prince Welcheren, the snake scale robe is very fetching. I'll make an exception. This time. :greenie

Princess LadyV, so glad to see you about these parts and in fine spirits. And Duchess, I am pleased to hear of your dancing escapades. May that bode well for your future health ahead!

And now...

*ahem*

The shineyyyy scythe stopped less than an inch from the dark, antlered form lurking in the deepest darkest shadow.

"Prince Porter? Is that you? What in the name of Because are you doing down here at this hour?"

The Queen drew her blade back and eyed the Moose as he shuffled closer to the candlelight. She wrinkled her nose in anticipation of the noxious fart he'd no doubt stored, just to annoy her majestic sensibilities. But all she could smell was a dry, musty scent. Odd. And he was just staring at her, while swaying gently to and fro. Also odd.

"You better not have come to fill the moat with 2 x 4s again. I'll have you know, I'm not explaining that to Sir Brad next time he comes trotting with Super through the gates. I'm pretty sure he's not thrilled about what that does to the surrounding shrubbery. Or to Super when he sneaks a drink from the moat."

Still nothing from the old Moose.

Queen tiddlywinks' grip tightened on the scythe when she caught sight of the vertical slitted pupils staring back at her. In the next blink, the royal's eyes had returned to normal. But the Queen knew what she had seen. And she trusted what her gut was telling her.

On a stiff battle cry, she swung the scythe, catching the Moose by the neck and lopping the head clean off. It poofed up into the air, like a pricked balloon madly careening about to land haphazardly on the throne. The rest of 'Prince Porter' slithered to the ground like a broken curtain.

Or a shedding skin.

An angry hiss emitted from the column of serpentine figures now untwining before her to slither away furiously.

"Oh no you don't!" Picking up her sparkly robes so she wouldn't trip, the mighty little Queen darted after the intruders, intent on trapping them for further questioning. She was running so fast and cursing so heartily, she didn't realize they had darted into the glowing Mark of the Serpent within the Bard's painting until it was too late.

"Fiddlesticks!"

With a hop, a skip, and a trip over her scythe, the Queen went tumbling after the snakes through the rift in the painting.

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
With a hop, a skip, and a trip over her scythe, the Queen went tumbling after the snakes through the rift in the painting.

After the joyous hugs and ecstatic return of hugs, Snitchcat glided back to her caverns, pondering the snake issue. Shame these particular group of serpents were causing trouble; she rather liked snakes.

All the same, she curled up on her bed. Eyes half-lidded, an occasional flicker of a forked tongue, and Snitchcat settled in for some ruminating while slumbering. Rather tried. An ether bang jolted her fully awake; she growled and disappeared only to reappear in the queen's chambers to see the queen falling through a rift in a painting.

The dragon snarled and dived through, the closing rift missing the end of her tail by a scale's thickness.

Welcheren

Picking up tools, honing edges
Registered
Reaction score
Hail Illustrious Queen
Greeting my fellow Royals

If the Duchess survives her energy bursts...

...it will be a very good thing. :greenie

As many of our dear Royals know, I have had many years of suffering from severe pain and debilitating fatigue. It has lead to, well, not a lot of fun in the A.R.o.R.L. because I've had no energy for fun. I've managed to survive and that's about it.

Recently my pain levels have been receding. I believe the chiropractic is helping a great deal in this along with prayers and good thoughts from my friends. A few days ago my pain level was so low that I found myself dancing around in the kitchen while pouring cream in my coffee. Which was great. It astounded me. Today has astounded me even more. I was listening to I Gotta Feeling by The Black Eyed Peas. And I just had to get up and dance. I danced, without holding back, to the whole song. Other than needing work on my breathing to get me back to where I used to be and tons more dancing to get my muscles used to movement again, I did great. I am so ecstatic. This is me on energy. It's like the last 35 years are being reversed. To feel this energy again is such a huge blessing. I can't begin to tell you how much I have yearned for it.

That's my miracle for the day. I hope each of you have had a miracle, too. :)

I dance in tribute to and celebration of this turn for the better, Grand Duchess. May it carry you through the editing and instill the process with joy.

Prince Welcheren, Alchemist of the Realm, wandered the corridors of the Castle, and was delivered by backdoors travelled while steeped in thought, to the Throne Room. Why have the rifts not closed? A new Monarch had claimed the Crown. A successor had followed after that. All the cycles were stable. The rifts should have collapsed. What was going on? Perhaps, if he could manage a method of sampling the matter of the rifts. Could his alchemical lore produce such methods? An expedition was necessary. For that he would seek the permission and council her Most Radiantly Radiant and Sparklingly Spectacular Majesty.
"Strange," he muttered to the Throne Room. "Empty? Where is our Queen?"

Last edited:

Ambrosia

Grand Duchess
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Good morning, your Majesty.

Good Wednesday, dear Royals.

I dance in tribute to and celebration of this turn for the better, Grand Duchess. May it carry you through the editing and instill the process with joy.

It's good to dance, isn't it? :greenie Thank you, Prince Welcheren. :)

I have another chiro appointment this morning. Then it will be back to edits and writing for me. I want to add more to the first chapter of my second book today if I can. I have been somewhat held back from the writing because there is a switch that happens in my brain between the creative me and the editing me. Kind of like when I'm writing prose it is devilishly difficult to switch to poetry. Not impossible though. And I'm wondering how much of this difficulty is a matter of training myself to switch to that other place in my brain a bit faster. So, I'm going to go explore that today. It would speed things up in the process of writing if I were not taking so much time changing brain direction. And since thought is so very fast, I really don't understand why the switch can not be infinitesimal if felt at all.

A missing queen, missing princess, another princess we already know is out there...interesting twists. I look forward to playing later. :greenie

Now, coffee. Because that is what the morning is for, yes? ;)

Welcheren

Registered
Reaction score
Snaps fingers and more coffee and tea fill the hands of all.

Uh. Thank you my Queen. Very gracious. *wipes coffee off hand and goes looking for a mug*

Prince Ted! Nice to you around again! How are things?

Dear Duchess, may there be wind in the sails of your writing and editing minds.

Ambrosia

Grand Duchess
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Uh. Thank you my Queen. Very gracious. *wipes coffee off hand and goes looking for a mug*

:ROFL:

Dear Duchess, may there be wind in the sails of your writing and editing minds.

So far so good, thank you. I managed to switch from editing into writing this afternoon with nary a pause for breath. Now if I can just keep that up. ;)

DanielSTJ

The Wandering Bard
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have read through, eagerly, all of the story posts and hope that this will help enrich the story. You are all doing such a FABULOUS job. Feel free to write my character in however you like. For me, I like seeing how you write your characters to try and get the tone right before embarking on characterization. This story is really taking shape! I love the entrance into the painting. Nice! I have a surprise in my new part, I hope you will enjoy it.

Also, all apologizes for not posting sooner. I have been in the dumps. Reading the posts actually cheered me up. Forward, I say! :)

==​

Daniel sensed that something was wrong. The Queen’s presence was not there—not at all. He was not the most fluent with the rifts of the world, but he recognized that there was a deep rift where the Queen was supposed to be.

After delivering the painting, he had gone back into his quarters and pulled, from the floorboards, his old bottle of wine. For a while, he had sat and drank before opening the window and looking outwards at the fading sun in the sky.

Another letter had come from Leila. He did not want to read it again, but the end result was what bothered him the most. She had found someone else. It was a simple fact and as much as Daniel pretended that it did not bother him, it ate at him. Time will solve all problems. Do not linger on things that you cannot control and cannot change. Each day is a new opportunity to grow. Be careful to not let that slip through your fingertips.

He got to his feet and put the wine bottle up along the other empty ones in the small cabinet in his room. Daniel lingered for a minute on them. They were of all different makes and brands. Many of them were cast in glows of celebration while others were clouded with sorrow. He took back the wine bottle for a second from the shelf and ran his fingers over it. Tomorrow will be another day. Let your sorrows fall from you like rain. Then, you can start again.

Daniel put the wine bottle back into the cabinet and quietly closed it. He did not look back at before he took more cross-bolts, a short sword and returned to the palace hall.
There was no one there. He began to wander the halls. Finally, when the effects of the wine were wearing off, he came upon Welcheren. The alchemist appeared just as puzzled as he was.

“I am looking for the Queen,” Daniel said.

“As am I,” the alchemist said, focusing his gaze on the bard.

Daniel sensed movement, but it was quicker than him. The raven swept into the hall and settled on Welcheren’s shoulder. He looked at Daniel and cawed once.

“I know where the Queen is,” the crow said.

Welcheren looked at his shoulder. “Well?”

“The rift is greater than what we might have suspected,” the raven said in a near whisper. He said this in such a way that only Welcheren heard what was being said.

Daniel frowned and tilted his head to the side.

“Do you want a cracker?” the raven said, turning its beak up at Daniel.

Daniel smiled. “You always know more than I give you credit for, fair raven.”

“You should tell him,” the raven whispered into Welcheren’s ear. When the alchemist did not reply, he lightly touched Welcheren’s ear with his beak and then returned to his spot, balancing on one leg.

At that moment, both men felt the earth shake from underneath their feet. The raven went off towards one of the high ornamental windows and looked outside.

From the next window, a large rock smashed through it, decimating the painted glass into a hundred shards that spread out throughout the room. Welcheren and Daniel both covered themselves in their cloaks to shield themselves from the particles flying everywhere.

“Oh,” the raven said, flapping its wings in the air. “This is bad.”

He flew back to where Welcheren was and settled on the opposite shoulder.

“Ahem,” the raven said. “We are under attack.”

LadyV

Tree Hugger
Registered
Reaction score
Good evening, Royals!

Ambrosia - I do indeed see a chiropractor about once a month. There is also a massage therapist who works out of this office that I have gone to as well. She is fantastic. I probably should get a massage, but it's hard to do right after work when I'm sweaty and nasty.

I'll be in bed early this evening. I stayed a little later after trivia to wish the DJ good luck. He's moving to Kentucky this weekend. We'll miss him as he become a friend to all of us.

tiddlywinks

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elainewitt.com
Good evening, dearest Royals! Well, I see we've been busy!

Prince Ted, your sparkly gift was quite intriguing. Do stay! Especially if you bring ice cream of a certain mint chocolate chip variety? :greenie

Hoorah for writing, dear Duchess! I'm glad to hear your day was productive. And to our wonderful Bard, may your spirits lift and your heart rest easy this eve.

:roll: Right. Yes. Erm. Mugs would have been helpful? :roll:

*sips at frou frou coffee*
And now, for stirring the plot some more...

tiddlywinks

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elainewitt.com
With an oomph, a drat, and a tumble across foreign sands, Queen tiddlywinks rather unmajestically exited the unexpected rift.

After yanking her hood back off her face and putting her sparkly robes to rights, she stood, one bony hand on a bony hip, the other baring her scythe like a beacon in this strange, dark land. "Hello?"

A susseration of sound met her ears.

She peered up the sand-dune before her. All quiet. She peered back over her shoulder into the rift, still winking and twinkling. Actually...she half-turned, only to --

"GAAAAAAH!"

The Queen rapidly backpedaled up the sand dune as an enormous dragon exploded from the rift. Its mighty tail whipped through the air and a loud bang echoed through the desolate landscape. With a mighty thump, the dragon landed in the sand before her. Queen tiddlywinks gulped audibly. Then squeaked when the sand under her feet moved and undulated.

On another series of squeaks and oofs, she tumbled end over teakettle back down the sand dune, landing but a few feet in front of the dragon's massive claws. A mighty hiss blew hot air over her back. The Queen glanced over her shoulder. "Oh for the love of shineyyyy--"

A massive serpentine shadow uncoiled from the waterfalls of sand, rising, rising...still rising. Tiny little squiggles moved toward the massive swaying shadow, and the Queen recognized those nasty little spies.

Whoooo hasssss dared to abussssssse my rift withoooout my permisssssssion?

Far above, violet eyes, split by slits of gold in the middle, blinked down at her majesty.

"Erm. Yes. Well." The Queen resisted the urge to stand on tiptoe and make herself look taller. "You should be more careful about where you put those things."

A deep rumble at her back reminded the Queen that she was stuck between a rock and a...well, actually, a dragon and a snake. Scale and wyrm? Hmm.

She dared to give the dragon another look. And was surprised when it winked at her. There was something rather familiar about...

"Princess?" she whispered out of the side of her mouth.

The dragon winked again.

Feeling a mite more cheerful about her odds now, the Queen turned back to the mother of all snakes before her. And tapped a foot in the sand. "Well? Are you going to apologize for not putting appropriate signage up about your rift in my realm?"

The violet eyes blinked. Then narrowed. Whhhhhhhere did you ssssssay you were frrrrrom, again?

"That's neither here nor there. What IS important is that you are creating clear safety hazards with these rifts of yours. Why, now I'm going to have to fill out an incident management report when I get back, and I really do detest paperwork. It means I have to use up my supplies of shineeyyyy ink, when I could be doing more important things like admiring it in the shineyyyy bottle with the shi--"

ENOUGH with the ssssssshineeyyyy!

"Never," the Queen muttered, a mulish bent to her brow.

The massive serpent uncoiled still farther, its scales scraping along the grains of sand. You ssssspeak with forked tongue, littttle ssssssshineyyyy obsessed one. My children telllll me you are of the Casssssstle. Those violet eyes swept down, suddenly uncomfortably close to the Queen. A shadow flickered out, just out of reach of her scythe, before flicking back in a gaping maw of darkness. I think yyyyyyyyou might jusssst be the one I ssssseek. Where is your sssssshineyy crown, littttle one?

"Oh crud."

Just as the Queen was worried she was about to be swallowed whole, an enormous wing batted her back like a tiny toothpick of a bowling pin. Queen tiddlywinks found herself staring up at the still open rift. At a roar, she looked over and saw the mighty Princess Snitchcat grasp the Mother of all Snakes in her claws and take flight into the darkness. But not before the Princess roared over her shoulder, "Get back to the Castle, your Majesty! And close the door on your way out -- I'll find another way home!"

In the next blink, the Princess was but a shining speck against the darkness above.

Whispers and more susserations began to echo around the Queen.

"Fiddlesticks!"

On another hop, a skip, and a trip over her Scythe, the Queen dove back into the rift.

#

With a yelp, a splat, and a whoosh of air, Queen tiddlywinks came flying out of the painting to land squarely on Prince Welcheren, knocking them both helter skelter across the throne room.

The Queen blinked at a gasp from the Bard. Then blinked again at the clear blue sky.

"WHY IS THERE A GIANT HOLE IN MY THRONE ROOM?"

Last edited:

Welcheren

Registered
Reaction score
Prince Welcheren skittered across the smoothly polished marble floors, like a poorly hurled frisbee - if you can imagine a fribee cradling a shiney little Queen. A fine collection of coloured glass has speared through his cloak, the sharp edges shattered on the armour-ink infused into his skin. The red stones moulded into the skin over his chest suddenly emitted a throbbing glow.
"My sincere apologies for inflicting this indignity on you, my Queen," Welcheren said hastily, apologising for what was not his fault, for such is the Royal protocol. Surely it was? Right? He'd have to check the manuel.
Still splayed on the floor, the Alchemist had a perfect view of the broken window.
"It seems, my Queen, that the Castle is a little under attack." Though how a missile weapon managed to come within striking distance without being seen is beyond me. "With your permission, my Queen..." Welcheren slithered out from under the Queen as gently as he could. Apart from the shards of glass stuck in his cloak, he was also strangely covered in sand... and glitter. "Lots of glitter."
Reaching into his cloak, he muttered, "Please tell me it didn't break. Ah ha! What?"
Not a one of the glass-encased potions in his cloak had broken. The red stones radiated a little more heat, as if in answer.
"Note to self - thank the Duchess."
Rummaging in his cloak, Welcheren eventually produced a single, slim bottle and helft it aloft - before smashing it on the floor.
Light coruscated from the mess at his feet and blazed across the room as if it were a sentient thing.
"Which it is," Welcheren muttered. Abruptly, it seemed as though all the light in the room had died down to a low, red-tinged sheen that belonged to dusk. Seven soliders stood, fully armoued with mail and buckler, wielding arming swords while the red sheen emanated from their high helms. The tallest of them - far taller than any normal person - looked up at the broken window.
"An hour," he said without looking down.
"Give us two," Welcheren replied.
The warrior shrugged. "One and a half."
"Two hours or as soon as you've destroyed whatever hurled that rock, and other weapons like it."
"So be it." Still, the warrior did not lower his eyes from the hole.
Their bodies dissolved in a red mist that suddenly morphed into something more akin to liquid, and leaped out of the window.
With a temporary defence established, Welcheren returned to the Bard's painting. If his seven friends could hold the attackers just long enough for Princess Snitcat to arrive, the enemy should be reduced to smouldering ash - whoever they are. Where was the scaly Priness? Stabbing his finger at the canvas of the painting produced no obvious results.
"Did you learn anything of value to the Realm while you were in there my Queen?"

Ambrosia

Grand Duchess
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Good morning, Your Majesty.

Good Thursday, dear Royals.

My brother is fussing at me to hurry out to the truck. I am off to the VA hospital for tests. I'll return much later, so I won't be around today. If I am able, I'll check in this evening.

The story is going wonderfully. I wish I could play too. Hopefully it won't be much longer before I have an opportunity.

Have fun and a very good Thursday. :)

Welcheren

Registered
Reaction score
Sending you good wishes, dear Duchess. Maybe the Houston traffic is magically reduced on your way in and out.

tiddlywinks

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elainewitt.com
Queen tiddlywinks put herself to full majestic glittery rights. With an added harrumph, she retrieved the Duchess' gifted necklace for good measure and gave it one longing pet as she arranged it around her neck. Then she skewered the Royal Alchemist with a rather evil sparkly stare.

"You and I need to have a talk about those things you just sent out...THROUGH THE HOLE IN MY CASTLE." With a shake of her shineyyyy robes, the Queen reined in the urge to continue speaking at a much louder decibel. "But first, we need to close that rift!"

"But Your Majesty, if we wait for Princess Snitchcat, we can--"

Prince Welcheren clamped down on further suggestions, in light of the ominous glow now surrounding the little queenly figure. The Bard wisely backed away several feet from her Majesty. Who glared up at the Raven that had the audacity to land on her scythe.

"Princess Snitchcat was very explicit in her instructions to close the door. And I'm inclined to follow her instructions given she saved me from the largest serpent I've ever had the displeasure of laying eyes on. So..." The Queen tapped a foot on the rubble-littered marble. "Suggestions?"

"Stuff it with a cracker?" the brave little Raven said.

The bird took off for the nearest rafter upon a growl that surely did not come from her queenly presence.

At a pointed cough, Queen tiddlywinks turned to the young Bard. He gave a tentative smile. "Perhaps the right rhyme in the right time?"

The Queen nodded, and he took off like a shot back for his rooms. To obtain his bardly instruments, no doubt, instead of the objects of war now strewn about his personage.

Meanwhile, Queen tiddlywinks and Prince Welcheren eyed each other warily. Sounds of steel ringing off armor and scale reached their ears. A small, wriggling and swaying shadow tried to slither its way through the rift, but the Queen took it out with one swift swipe of her scythe.

"This will never do. Just won't do. Hate snakes. Very bad." Louder, she called out, "I release you from your bonds!"

A quiver of....something...ran along the walls of the Castle. A sigh. Then a strange thump thump thump began to echo from the Royals' chambers far above.

The Royal Alchemist glanced uneasily up toward the shadowed stairs. "Your Majesty?"

She lifted one sparkly hand. Waited. Then turned to meet the mass of thump thump thumping figures that came hop hop hopping down the stairs. In a sea of twitching ears and noses and fuzzy tails, cute little faces turned up to them both en masse.

"By the power of Vitamin A...plot bunnies, I command your attention!"

Ambrosia

Grand Duchess
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Good Friday, dear Royals.

I am back from my tests, rested, and happy about it being a new day.

Now it is time for coffee and I really must make up for not being allowed coffee yesterday morning. ;)

Check in a bit later.

tiddlywinks

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elainewitt.com
Good morning, Royals. Coffee and tea (in fine china) served for all! Along with a spread of pastries, fruits, and bacon. Mmmm, bacon.

As per usual, I will be back later to address other matters. Hopefully some of you will jump in to carry on the intrigue? Good times, people. Good times.

Welcheren

Registered
Reaction score
Good Satuday, Glorious Queen
Hail my dear Royals

Likewise, I shall check in later today, or as soon as I can. Just stopping by to say hello and to echo our Queen's request for other Royals to join the tale with us.

The greater the diversity of minds and imaginations the better.

*hop, hop, hops off for coffee*

Last edited:

Ambrosia

Grand Duchess
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Good Saturday, dear Royals.

I have been up for two hours now. It is well past time for me to make my coffee.

I'll be back. ;)

Ambrosia

Grand Duchess
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My Queen, dear Royals...

I have been writing a scene for my second book in a trilogy. And as I have been going through to find just the right word for the scene, I had thought of "ravish". Being the cautionary writer I am, which may come also from being a poet and needing at times to choose just the exact right word to place within a poem to convey the proper meaning, I looked up "ravish" in the dictionary. And I have come away perplexed.

The definition of ravish is:

verb (tr)
  • (often passive) to give great delight to; enrapture
  • to rape
  • archaic to carry off by force.

Now, I knew this, of course. I was confirming my knowledge of the word when I looked it up. But. How does one go from "to give great delight to" and "enrapture" to "rape"? How, pray tell, does a word carry both horror and ecstasy within its meanings? I am on the verge of being appalled by it. It happens to be just the word I need, however. I am very bothered by the messages within those contradictory definitions. Thoughts? I'm thinking, English language, what the hell?