Royalty for a Week, and Shameless The Rest of The Time (Volume IV)

E.F.B.

Stories, stories everywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Good morning, Royals. This princess had a little bit of a breakfast oopsie. I was trying to take a bite of my egg and accidentally tipped the plate and dumped it onto my lap. Grouchiness had already set in, so I was not happy. Da royal puppy was excessively happy, however and eagerly helped me clean up. Clothes have since been changed and my shirt treated for grease stains. I have since managed to get more eggs made and eat them and the rest of my breakfast without it going onto my lap, so I feel a little better mood-wise now.

There is nowhere to go today, which means writing research shall continue. *ambles off to do it*

Ambrosia

Grand Duchess
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Good Tuesday, your Majesty.

Good Tuesday, dear Royals.

In the A.R.o.R.L., this area is in a wet pattern and under a cold front. We got a 40 to 50 degree drop in temps yesterday. I went to phys therapy in shorts and had to slip on a jacket and sweatpants after my therapy. And the temps just kept going down. Luckily I'm in deep east Texas which means we didn't get the snow or colder temps that the panhandle of Texas has gotten. I'm happy for that. ;)

The dey improved with thyme

:greenie

Second cup of coffee coming up. :)

E.F.B.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Princess E.F.B. :Hug2:

I hope your day has improved.

The dey improved with thyme
It did, indeed. :greenie

Good morning, Royals and your Majesty. Today my dad has his two week checkup on his broken shoulder. Fingers crossed that will go well. I'll let you all know what it said. Honestly, I'm hoping they'll tell him to do physical therapy as that would be very good for more than just his shoulder as overweight and sedentary as he is. He reeeeaaaally needs to gain enough strength that he no longer feels the need to lean on that blasted crutch everywhere he goes. It is both a literal and a figurative crutch for him, and his leaning on it is part of the reason he broke his shoulder when he fell...it got caught on something so he tripped and then he didn't have that hand to catch himself.

Anyway, it's an early afternoon, appointment, so I need to spend my morning wisely and continue the story research. I hope everyone has a good Tuesday.

LadyV

Tree Hugger
Registered
Reaction score
Good evening, Royals.

Seems I'm coming down with a slight cold. I'm skipping trivia tonight since I don't feel great. I hope with rest and an early bedtime, I'll feel better tomorrow.

E.F.B.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
*sends Lady V a tray with aaaallll the vitamin C*

Good news from my dad's orthopedist: He says my dad's shoulder is healing and he was impressed by the range of movement my dad has. Physical therapy has been prescribed for later on (yes!!!) and the only way the doctor would recommend surgery is if my dad has been healed for over a month or more and is still experiencing major pain, at which point it would be a shoulder replacement. Hopefully that won't be necessary, but we'll just take things one step at a time.

DanielSTJ

The Wandering Bard
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Late-night addition:

==​

Each step reverberated up the staircase—there was a chilling echo. Daniel held his breath until he was at the bottom of it, holding his lantern tightly. There was a stone entrance at the bottom. He shone the light upwards and saw two figures carved in stone. One was a wondrous angel and the other one a horned demon. Their backs were facing each other, and they looked off in their proper directions.

He frowned and shone the light back towards the entrance. It was an empty hall. The walls and floors were formed of painted stone that had chipped and faded away almost entirely. Daniel scanned the doorway to see if there were any traps, but there were not.

Taking a breath, he moved forward.

That was when he noticed that there was something in the center of the hall. He could not tell, with only the dim light from his lantern, what exactly it was, but he knew that it was not human. It was huge—at least seven feet and very wide. There was something beneath it, unmoving, yet Daniel could only imagine what it was.

The creature turned to face him, and Daniel saw that its mouth was open. Scaly teeth, like that of a crocodile, leered out at him. There was blood and flesh in them and it clicked them together, slightly, and paused.
Daniel did not hesitate. He pulled out his throwing daggers and threw one with his free hand.

It hit the creature in the chest, the largest portion of its body, and the creature did not react. Blood did not pour from the wound. Nothing happened.

Oh.

The creature took a cumbersome step towards him and Daniel realized that it was green and black. Its skin looked like that of a distorted leopard. In the moment it took for Daniel to have his crossbow in its hand, the creature opened its mouth and roared at him—the sound cascaded against the walls and, in a moment, there was a putrid stench of rot that filled the hall. Daniel had dealt with many harsh smells during his poor years, but this was something else entirely. He gagged.

He dropped the lantern on the floor. Thankfully, it did not break and was still aimed towards the creature.

Daniel aimed the crossbow carefully. His mind raced: You cannot waste your shot. The body will not work, nor will the appendages. You’re going for the head. There must be a weak point. Aim for the eyes or, even better, in-between them. Do not tarry.

When he had set up his shot, the creature shifted and began to move towards him. It was not a fast-moving creature, but it was quicker than Daniel had anticipated. He took a step backwards and tried to reorganized his shot. Damn it. You don’t have forever to do this. Make haste—before you end up between its jaws.

The creature had been approximately five meters away from him. Now, it was three. He would only have a few more moments before he would have to retreat to the stairs. That was not a preferable situation. You would have the high ground, his mind whispered, but if it took the stairs you would have nowhere to run to. You would be trapped and all the calling for the doors to be opened would not save you. Daniel: you would die.

Two meters.

There was a weak point. Even in the dim light Daniel could see it. The face of the creature was bony and, in-between the eyes, there was a depression that made it obvious that there was little muscle there. It would, hopefully, lead to the creature’s brain.

Focus.

His hands were trembling as he tightened them around the crossbow. He lined up his shot with his eyes and in his head. There would only be one opportunity to do this. After that, the crossbow would be useless

One chance.

The creature roared. It reached out one of its arms to grab Daniel.

At that moment, he fired.

There was a whoosh and then a pause. Daniel could not tell if he had hit his mark, the lantern’s light was obscured by the creature’s large form that almost seemed to eat up and dissolve the light on impact.

Yet, then, the creature slumped on its legs. Then, it began to fall.

Daniel rushed to hurry out of the way.

The creature slammed into the ground and looked over at him. A small puddle of blood formed on the ground around his mouth. It was clear: the creature was dying.

Do not let it suffer. Nothing in this world deserves to suffer. Finish the job.

Daniel aimed the crossbow again. This time, the creature was nearly motionless, instead taking large wheezing breaths. He lined up his shot in the very same location that the other bolt was sticking out from. Before he fired, Daniel thought—just maybe, that he saw something change in the creature’s eyes.

The bolt connected less than an inch below its original spot and the creature let out a gasp and then was silent entirely.

It is done.

The lantern went out.

Last edited:

Ambrosia

Grand Duchess
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Good Wednesday, your Majesty.

Good Wednesday, dear Royals.

Nice addition, Prince Daniel. :)

I have to go to chiro this morning. I'll be back. :)

LadyV

Tree Hugger
Registered
Reaction score
Cool, Porter! Enjoy your trip!

I called off work today due to this cold. Apparently sleep did nothing to help. I woke up feeling worse than I did last night, and it doesn't seem like the symptoms are easing up any. I really don't want to call off work tomorrow, but there's no way I can do my job with cloudy head and aches all over my body.

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
Greetings dear Royals!

Your queen (well, Empress in this case) has been catching up on #inktober. We shall respond to all momentarily. :D

Ambrosia

Grand Duchess
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Good Thursday, your Majesty.

Good Thursday, dear Royals.

Your Majesty, what is #inktober?

I am sitting having a cup of yesterday's coffee. In a moment I will get up and have a cup of fresh. I trust everyone's day is going well and will continue to go well. :)

LadyV

Tree Hugger
Registered
Reaction score
Good morning, Royals.

I'm feeling a little better today. The aches have subsided, but my head and throat are still painful. Hopefully tomorrow I'll be able to go back to work.

E.F.B.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
*dances through the castle* I finished the research I had to do to start my Sleeping Beauty retelling! Now I can outline! *twirls*

Well... I can outline tomorrow. Now I need to get off the computer because my eyeballs are about to fall out of my head. :p

Crayonz

Tribal Flame Warden Ducky
Registered
Reaction score
Porter - Enjoy your trip! Pictures or it didn't happen! ;)

Hullo, Royals.

Jump in.

Right now, there's imminent threat of a Realm Locusts invasion, but said invasion has suddenly vanished.

Secretive Prince Welcheren is MIA, the Duchess is poisoned, and the Bard Prince Daniel hides too many secrets.

ETA: In the meantime, if you want to catch up from where the story thread left off, these are the post numbers to follow:

27287, 27289, 27292, 27305, 27356, 27362, 27365, 27368, 27370, 27390, 27407, 27410, 27422, 27433, 27436, 27442, 27443, 27450, 27451, 27479, 27534, 27552, 27567, 27576, 27591, 27633, 27718, 27731, 27732
Excellent! Now I have something to read! :hooray: