Royalty for a Week, and Shameless The Rest of The Time (Volume IV)

DanielSTJ

The Wandering Bard
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hello Your Majesty and Royals!

LadyV- A new bike sounds fantastic! Do you have suitable places to ride it? In my city, the bike lanes are almost non-existent and motorists aren't very understanding- so it's a little dangerous.

Grand Duchess- That sounds very frightening. Are your nerves OK? We've had tornado warnings where I've lived, but nothing more than warnings. That is really bad about the people who lost loved ones, or their homes, to that natural disaster.

Me- I'm living in near total isolation. I'm glad I have my father living with me, this forum, and people I'm connected to on the web. Still, getting fairly stir-crazy but maintaining social distancing.

Last edited:

Ambrosia

Grand Duchess
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Good morning, my Queen. I hope you are taking good care of yourself and staying as safe as you can. :Hug2:

Good morning, dear Royals.

Grand Duchess- That sounds very frightening. Are your nerves OK?

Yes, my nerves are fine. It is over now. My nerves were not so good during it, however. I dislike not having a place to shelter during the storms.

Me- I'm living in near total isolation. I'm glad I have my father living with me, this forum, and people I'm connected to on the web. Still, getting fairly stir-crazy but maintaining social distancing.

I think everyone is living in near total isolation except for the poor angels who still have to go out there to help people--first responders, medical, grocery store stockers and clerks, delivery drivers, etc.. I'm living with my brother and sis-in-law...and 4 dogs. Some days I wish for a little bit more isolation. ;)

Here in the U.S. I fear the government is going to open things too soon. It is worrisome.

LadyV

Tree Hugger
Registered
Reaction score
Good evening, Royals.

Daniel - I ride my bike on the local rail trails. They're a lot safer than the roads and more scenic. I wish I could ride this weekend, but between working a half day tomorrow and Sunday being a washout, it won't happen. There's always next weekend.

Ambrosia - that is so scary about the tornado. I remember a funnel cloud passing right over my house many years ago. We don't get many tornadoes in my area due to the hills, but that thing was terrifying even if it never reached the ground.

K Robert Donovan

Wishing Upon a Star...
Registered
Reaction score
Good morning Grand Duchess and fellow royals.

All is well in my end of the world. Keeping busy getting ready to go out to query tomorrow.

I hope everyone is staying safe and finding things to keep them occupied. I find myself fortunate in being able to work from home and having an engaging habit of writing that keeps me going.

brad_b

Knight Errant
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Somewhere in my mind... it echoes in here ...
Good evening, Your Majesty, Grand Duchess, and assorted Royals of the Realm,

Duchess, I'm glad you made it through the storms. I watched them on doppler and saw how violent they were. You were in my prayers, as were all affected by the violence. Nature can be brutal and unforgiving at times and all we can do is hang on and ride it out.

I trust all are doing well. Work here is coming in at a splendid rate, though rain has been holding us back somewhat. This week more rain is called for, though I believe we can finish a project tomorrow that we started last Friday - then rain, of course. It is Spring. I had another job okayed today, with a few more things to do once we finish the first phase.

Hang in there, all, we'll make it through this, and I pray you all have a safe and productive week.

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
Flyby greetings to your majesty, duchess, and royals!

Busy here!

*flies off again*

LadyV

Tree Hugger
Registered
Reaction score
Good evening, Royals!

Yes, rain has been making it difficult to get some of my work done. Today was actually sunny, and the only day this week without a chance of rain. So far, spring has gotten off to a cold and soggy start. On a brighter note, our hibiscus just got it's first flower of the season.

Ambrosia

Grand Duchess
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Good morning, my Queen. Royals.

I hope everyone is staying safe and finding ways to enjoy yourselves. I have storms forecast for this area...again. I'm hoping I don't lose power this time. Fingers crossed.

Have a lovely Tuesday, everyone.

DanielSTJ

The Wandering Bard
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Greetings Your Majesty and Royals!

Ambrosia: I agree, Grand Duchess, that such a thing sounds worrisome.

LadyV: Oooooo. That sounds good! I’ve never actually been on a bike trail.

Robert: Yes, I have seen your query updates in the “Write Every Day” section. Good luck!

Brad: Rainy season indeed! I hope that you made progress on your project.

Snitchat: Hey Snitchat! Flycat! :D

Lady V: Ooooooo, (I googled Hibiscus.)

Ambrosia: I do hope that you are safe and that there are no extreme consequences of the storm (tornadoes) around. Fingers crossed for safety and security!

Me: This site seems to be running more smoothly and quickly on my end. Props to MacAllister, Lisa, and those for making it work even better! I hope to be more active.

brad_b

Knight Errant
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Good evening your, Majesty, and Royals,

We had a beautiful and warm day today, though rain is now moving in tonight - I hear thunder in the distance. Oh, well, my outside plants can use a drink. Cooler and rainy tomorrow, but hopefully we can work.

Duchess, I trust the nasty weather is behind you, and you kept power. We don't know how much we rely on it until it leaves us.

Daniel, yes, we finished that project and started another today for a regular client. It's a three-day job (I hope), weeding, trimming, and mulching planter beds - and there are many of them. He has a very busy landscape, but we are making them socially acceptable. They are growing great guns with all this rain and warmer temps and are looking great.

Have a wonderful week, all, and may you be blessed in all you do.

Ambrosia

Grand Duchess
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Good morning, your Majesty.

We are done with storms until Wednesday and Friday. Unless something changes, of course. We did lose power, but we lost it after the storm had passed when the power company was fixing other outages. I've never been in a place where the power goes out so much.

Have a lovely Saturday, everyone.

LadyV

Tree Hugger
Registered
Reaction score
Good evening, Royals.

We're going to be having winter in May. I'm thrilled. :sarcasm

brad_b

Knight Errant
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Tis quiet in the castle.

Good evening, Your Majesty and Royals,I trust all are well and safe, and making it through the vagaries of life.

Lady V, we have a freeze warning tonight, and it had better be the last one. I mean it this time. I tarped off my potted plants, and brought in my gorgeous amaryllis that now has 8"-10" blooms. I potted it two years ago when we (from CONO) took some inner-city kids to a greenhouse and showed them how to pot the amaryllis bulbs. Last year it didn't do anything but grow leaves. I put it in the basement with my other plants late last fall, and the leaves died off, of course. It's a bulb. Then early, early Spring I noticed it was growing leaves again. I set it out with the other basement plants and before I knew it, it had put up a flower stalk a couple feet tall. Then it added three blooms, and soon after another. The flower stalk is now 2 1/2 feet tall with four beautiful blooms. I named her Amy Amaryllis. Rather fitting one might say.

Enjoy your weekend, all! Stay safe and well and blessed.

Last edited:

Ambrosia

Grand Duchess
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Good afternoon, your Majesty.

Good afternoon, dear Royals.

Amy Amaryllis, Sir Brad? What color are her flowers?

I trust everyone is surviving this change in circumstance. Be safe, everyone.

brad_b

Knight Errant
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Pink and white, Duchess - pink and white - and they're huge! Though Amy lost two blooms the other night. They shriveled, from natural circumstances or temps in the 40's - I'm not sure, but she's inside now and the remaining blooms are doing well. I'm not sure if Amy will put out more this year, though I had a hard time finding a place to put the stake to help hold them up since the bulb(s) are huge, as well. I'll definitely divide and put them in larger pots for the next go round.

We're doing extremely well, and more work keeps coming in. We'll stop by a previous customer's place tomorrow morning to pop in a Japanese Maple, stop by another previous customer to look at a couple of large shrubs needing trimmed, and then back to the wall we're building by the lake. The blocks and caps arrived today on a semi, and we're ready to put the whole shebang together. Of course a bunch of rain is heading our way towards the end of the week, so that'll put a hitch in our giddy-up, but we shall persevere and see it through. The temps are headed into the 70's then, so that's an improvement over the 50's we had today. Then our client added on trimming the shrubs, and our regular next door walked over and they want they're beds cleaned and shrubs trimmed, as well.

I'm not sure how to schedule everything, but we'll get it done as long as folks are patient - and they are.

It helps to be good at what one does.

Have a wonderful week, all! Stay safe and well and blessed.

Ambrosia

Grand Duchess
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Good morning, your Majesty.

I hope you all are treating yourselves well and keeping entertained and safe.

I have another squash seed that has sprouted. That makes 3 now. Color me amazed. :greenie

Sir Brad, we also are expecting storms and lots of rain this week and weekend. I hope you all need it and it will be beneficial. We don't need it, but Mother Nature never seems to ask our lowly opinion. ;)

Have a great Tuesday, everyone!

LadyV

Tree Hugger
Registered
Reaction score
Good evening, Royals.All's well here. I'm in full-spring mode at work, which means things are not slowing anytime soon. We'll be starting at 6 am next week now that the weather has decided to behave. I don't typically like starting that early, but I'm also getting tired of getting home after 5:00 since we've been starting at 8:00. My side of the state will be reopening some places tomorrow. Mostly retail stores, and I think parks. Salons are still closed, which is a bummer. I need a pedicure in the worst way. My feet are actually scaring me right now, lol.

Ambrosia

Grand Duchess
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Good morning, your Majesty. Please check in and let us know you are ok.

I'm not feeling well this morning. I think it is allergies but I feel ick all over. I'm hoping it passes soon. In other news, I have a number of seedlings growing. It appears I am a success at starting seeds if the seeds aren't "too" old. Now if I can only get them transplanted and growing into future vegetable producing plants.

I also am writing a prologue to my first book. Although I really don't like prologues, I think this one is necessary. I never thought I'd write one. Isn't life strange?

Take care, everyone. Stay safe.

LadyV

Tree Hugger
Registered
Reaction score
That's quite a journey, Michael, but I understand wanting to escape the heat.

Ambrosia

Grand Duchess
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Good Afternoon, dear Royals.

Greetings, Your Grace.

Apologies for my absence. We've been busy closing up the Arizona winter palace (~110F) for retreat to Wisconsin summer palace (~72F). Ye olde coach (1995 GMC pickup) is all systems go for 2K miles.

Yee-hah!

I trust you had (have) a safe journey, Prince Michael. Let us know how your summer palace fares. :)

Last edited:

brad_b

Knight Errant
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Good evening, Your Highness, and Royals,

It's been a long, productive Spring, and as we approach Summer, my schedule is more than full. Work is coming in faster than I can get it done - not a bad place to be. I trust you all are getting your lives back to what passes for normalcy these days, and know that all the junk going on will pass into the past.

Live your lives to the fullest and be blessed in all you do.

K Robert Donovan

Wishing Upon a Star...
Registered
Reaction score
Good day to all my fellow royals. I hope everyone is staying happy and healthy.

I am trying to keep a positive perspective. Got another rejection from an agent this morning who stated she took a good look at my title but didn't quite connect with the writing sample. Ugh. Its a really good story, I want to say, just give it a chance... But alas, I trudge on with a new project writing a YA Fantasy. I am excited about it and hope I can keep it to a more manageable word count that will attract attention when its done in 6-12 months.

Hope everyone is doing well. Best of luck in your writing adventures.

Last edited:

brad_b

Knight Errant
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I, too, have received a few rejections. I'm sure the word count is more than most agents want to take a chance with, but all my beta readers say it reads fast, and to take anything out would hurt the story. It does move along, and one of my beta readers read it in two days and said she couldn't put it down. All those who've read it love the story.

I've reworked my query letter and saved the word count for the end, though I've yet to query again since the makeover. We've been so busy with work it's not easy to make another stab at it.

With writing, we keep trying until we find the right fit. Stephen King's, Carrie, was rejected over 70 times until he got it published.

K Robert Donovan

Wishing Upon a Star...
Registered
Reaction score
I, too, have received a few rejections. I'm sure the word count is more than most agents want to take a chance with, but all my beta readers say it reads fast, and to take anything out would hurt the story. It does move along, and one of my beta readers read it in two days and said she couldn't put it down. All those who've read it love the story.
I literally thought you were quoting me from some other post, because I have experienced the exact same thing. Its a good story, I just can't get anyone to take a chance on it. I'm on the second chapter of my new YA Fantasy.

Hey - I hit 400 posts!! Doesn't come near the thousands of others but I was surprised to see that I had 400.