Royalty for a Week, and Shameless The Rest of The Time (Volume IV)

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
Whoa--had my first full day of school yesterday. I work as an ESOL tutor in a local high school. The school is small so not much money for a big department. Mainly I run from class to class, take notes and then translate them into simple English or Spanish for our non-English speaking students. Looks like I am taking Biology, Physical Science, English 1 and 3, and Health---with a 14 year old boy. This means I will have to watch the dreaded Birds and Bees video with a room full of beard sprouting, squeaky voiced, dirty minded boys. I've done it twice with squeaky voiced, drama fueled girls students but never boys.

So, does this Queen Job pay anything? Could I quit my day job and hang out in the garden instead? Oh, and speaking of gardens, we are facing a Royal Tomato Glut. They are cracking and falling off the vines because of the rain and mild summer. I am declaring this National Eat a Dozen Tomatoes Week. You will find oxdrawn carts brimming with fresh tomatoes at every street corner. The local inns and pubs will be serving BLTs at half price. Peppers and Cilantro are also in abundance. Vats of salsa are travelling the streets, bring your buckets. Oh, and zucchini...well, Zucchini are not only free but mandatory. ---YOUR QUEEN

Ambrosia

Grand Duchess
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Good morning, your Majesty.

Good Tuesday, dear Royals.

Free Zucchini and mandatory salsa and still more tomatoes to eat? I'm there. ;)

DanielSTJ

The Wandering Bard
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Good morning, Your Majesty and Royals.

I bid you a wave with the sun. :hi:

I'm about to drink some Rooibos tea. :D

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
Hail, Your Majesty!
Good morning/afternoon/evening Royals!

This dragon requires sleep. Technically I could wish everyone a good morning since it is approx. 1am here. However, snoozey for me. Do not wake this dragon, yet, please. I shall roast the Realm Locusts later.

Yeah. I make no sense right now.

Goodnight, all!

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
Would the Dragon like a nice BLTTTT and a cup of tea? And you Danile? I have Rooibos as well as something called Pu-ERH that I am too afraid to try. How about some zucchini roll ups? They are not quite as nasty as they look. Now, what about those Locusts? --s6

Last edited:

DanielSTJ

The Wandering Bard
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I present to you...

locust-burger.jpg

...the locust burger!

DanielSTJ

The Wandering Bard
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
New addition:

It was a book, but it was not any ordinary one. Daniel had seen his fair share of dark things, but this was bad. It was a tome, all right, but even from the get-go Daniel could see that it was made of flesh.

“What....?” escaped Daniel’s lips. He paused and a hand went up to scratch at the stubble on his face, a tick that he had never mastered. “Why?”

The crow cawed. “I don’t know.”

Daniel pushed more of the lid off of the sarcophagus. There was a skeleton here that was arrayed with a crown that was broken in the middle. Daniel assumed that he was a king from long ago, but he had never heard of him in his lifetime. The crown had lettering and Daniel peered over it, trying to gain some semblance of the words that were before him.

It was a Latin name: Tarquinius. Daniel was only able to recognize the lettering because of the basics that he had been taught in the private schooling that his parents had enrolled him in. Certainly, that had been something that he had only assembled a few years of and was, for the most part, now considered a waste.

“What does the crown say?” Daniel asked on a whim. He knew that the raven was well-versed and he hoped that the bird of prey would be able to read the Latin. For some reason, it just seemed to make sense to ask.

The raven swooped down and gracefully landed on the top of the sarcophagus. He looked into it and peered at the crown, moving his head in one direction and then the other-- scanning the words that were formed.

“Tarquinius of the North-- Philosopher King,” the raven said. “Hmm.”

“What?”

“It’s almost as if I’ve read this before, but I know I haven’t. Just a trick of the brain that remains as an image long after the words have formed on your lips, er,” he paused, standing on one leg. “-- beak I suppose.”

Daniel looked down at the King’s body. It was deformed. There was obviously something wrong with the skeleton. Even though the bones were well preserved, the legs were too long and the torso too short. In addition, the skull’s eyes were not even and the nose was long and there were depressions in the skull that were not from blows.

Daniel titled his head, looking more at the king. How did he die? The bard looked, instinctively, at the torso. It did not take him very long to see the answer. The spine was broken at its base. He broke his back.

The bard looked at the skull one last time before moving on. There was something about it that sent a shiver down his spine. Although the deformities spoke of challenges throughout the king’s life, there was something powerful about him that transferred itself even beyond the mortal coil. What exactly it was, Daniel could not say. Yet, it was there, lingering below the contours of the fragile world.

His eyes went back to the book. The cover was a mix of tan and different shades of red. Daniel did not want to touch it, but he was inherently curious about what was inside.

“I do not recommend opening the book,” the raven said, hopping onto Daniel’s shoulder. “There are certain things that are best to remain dead. This is one of them. I have heard of this book.”

“Tell me about it,” Daniel took a step away from the sarcophagus.

“Tarquinius,” the bird said, as if the word could transmit information itself. “It rings a bell. I think I know where I heard it from, but it’s going to be a little sloppy the history that I know of it. Are you willing to listen?”

“Absolutely, go right ahead when you are ready.”

The bird’s eyes glowed brighter for an instant and then their light petered out. “This is a story that is best told in the dark.”

“As you will.”

Daniel felt a slight breeze on the back of his neck despite knowing, for a fact, that there was no way that such a thing was possible.

“Tarquinius is a name that traces back to the Etruscans. I am remembering the story now. It is almost a legend. He was the first king in reign when the castle was finally completed. In-fact, it was done so on his birthday. The king was an odd one,” the raven continued. “-- he preferred to spend his days alone in his study going over the works that his court philosopher brought him. Scrolls, tomes, books and pamphlets from all over the lands. They were all brought to him with due haste. He believed that building the mind was widening the soul and that, for a king, such a thing was of the utmost importance. At first, this worked so well. He was able to think of things, to almost see things, that others could not. Massive projects were planned and things, for a time, were plentiful.”

Daniel closed his eyes, listening.

“Tarquinius became obsessed with knowledge. He began to ignore his kingly duties. This is where things began to spiral out of control. When his advisors scolded him, he had them flayed and imprisoned in the tower. As his subjects rose up, he demolished them with mercenaries. He thought that he knew best of all kings and that his knowledge was guiding him towards some destiny that only existed in his own mind. This “knowledge” that he preferred to keep to himself was driving him to ruin. Everyone could realize it but him. You could see it in his eyes, but he did not allow even the most trusted to meet his gaze as time wore on.”

Daniel took a breath. Something had formed in his mind. “How is his name remembered in the history books?”

“Tarquinius the Mad,” the raven whispered. “Though that is something that has not been said in a long time.”

And then something in the room moved.

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
I think I'm getting accustomed to the Bard's cliffhanger tendencies.

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
The Queen of the Locusts snarled silently at the now-shiny carapaces of her subjects. "So, that pygmy of a princess thinks glitter will immobilise me?" She hissed. "Subjects," she clicked, "the crown is no longer with the Duchess, but it still sings for us! Devour the stone and anything you find in, on, under, or next to it. And if it's squishy, liquidise it!" The Queen burrowed into the ground. Her entourage followed, glitter exorcised from their exoskeletons. It was time to visit someone familiar with the Underlair of the Castle. Someone who had long been thought dead, and it wasn't the mad king Tarquinius. Oh no, there was a far more devious individual who owed the Queen a rather large favour.

Welcheren

Picking up tools, honing edges
Registered
Reaction score
Good day my precious Royals.
I bow before our Illustrious Queen.

ARoRL is keeping me busy. I have fallen behind on the Castle's Tale, but I look forward with a gnawing hunger to catch up. Quick scans suggest that you have all excelled yourselves, at which I should not be surprised.

Enjoy your Rooibos, Prince Daniel. Personally, I could never quite get the hang of it, even though it is prominent among the local produce.

A fair day to your all. If my schedule permits, I shall catch up soon.

Have fun all.

E.F.B.

Stories, stories everywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
*waves at Royals as she passes through*:hi: This princess is quite busy today, but in a good way. The words are flowing, I finally ordered a set of purty circular knitting needles that I've been wanting for forever. Lunch is being eaten now and later there shall be errand running followed by crafting. Hoping everyone has a good Wednesday!

LadyV

Tree Hugger
Registered
Reaction score
Good afternoon, Royals.

It is such a beautiful day here today! Sun, mild temps, a nice brisk breeze, and no humidity!

My parents just bought a new lawn mower since our old one decided to spontaneously leak fuel everywhere, which made the garage stink to high heaven. It was so bad, the stench started wafting into the whole house. Hopefully, that won't happen again.

DanielSTJ

The Wandering Bard
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If my posts are annoying, just tell me to tone it down. :poke:

==​

The raven’s eyes darted to the direction that the noise had come from. The catacombs seemed to take on a darker light, bathed in a miasma of grey and black. Daniel’s eyes widened as he saw that the sarcophagus lid was now completely off-- located on the floor. There seemed to have been no noise coming from the sound of the heavy object that was supposed to thud to the floor. Daniel was anxious and he noticed that his hands were shaking. His fingers felt odd, as if they were tingling. Slowly, but surely, he walked over to the sarcophagus and he looked inside.

The king was missing.

His eyes widened further.

“I’ll be back. Be calm, but be ready,” the raven said, departing from his shoulder and swooping high up above.

Daniel was left with silence. He grabbed his short sword from its scabbard, slowly. Its blade glittered in the dark. In his other hand was the throwing knife. Now, he felt as if he was ready.

He looked down. The book was missing as well.

Something moved behind him. Instead of spinning, with a slight motion he rotated his feet until he was in the other direction.

“Dark,” something said. “We’re in the dark.”

He closed his eyes, using his other senses-- other than his eyes, to gain a semblance of the room. The figure, whatever it was, was a meter away from him. It was not moving at the moment.

“Who are you?” Daniel asked.

“Mage,” the voice said, a rasping whisper in the blackness. “You can’t see me and I cannot see you. It looks like we are at a standstill.”

“How did you get down here?”

“I’ve been imprisoned in these walls for years on end. Tell me, does the sun still shimmer with the faint glow of the morning each time it rises?”

Daniel frowned, getting his knees in position to strike. He did not like the tone of the form. The bard knew that he had to be ready to strike, or to dodge, at any instant. At least his failure in becoming a knight had taught him how to evade blows-- quickly too.

“It rises and it sets.”

“Then all is well in the land,” the voice said, lingering for an instant when it should have parted.

“What do you want?”

“What do YOU want?”

“I don’t know why I’m down here,” Daniel started. “And I’m keen to get out.”

“No one has escaped here in years. You die down here.”

“Is that a threat?”

The form began to walk, not towards Daniel but to the side. The bard lightly rotated his steps so that it was in line with the form. It seemed to drift seamlessly rather than take steps in the direction that it was heading. That made him uncomfortable. He was obviously dealing with someone that had been tampered with by magic. Daniel’s knowledge of the arcane arts was limited at best. He had never been able to fully understand, let alone conjure, anything from the scrolls that Welcheren had brought him.

“No,” the voice said. “Just an observation. You’re a curious fellow, aren’t you? Do you really think that I cannot see that you have two weapons in each of your hands. They will not take you as far as you believe they will.”

“I keep my weapons as taut as my words,” Daniel gritted his teeth. “Be careful lest they find your throat.”

There was a laugh that turned into a cough. It sounded like that of a dying man. “Do you really think that they’re going to help you down here?”

“I do,” Daniel said. “Do you really think it’s wise to play chess with your words like it’s a game?”

There was a pause. Daniel closed his eyes tighter, using his mind to feel around for where the form was. He had to make sure that he followed its course of movements. If he was caught unaware, it could be fatal.

“Do you want to know what happened to the king?” The tone was flat, harsh.

“I do.”

“He started off well,” the voice said, moving further away from him-- back towards the wall behind him. “He would dream at night of all the great things that he would accomplish throughout his reign. Tarquinius truly cared for his people at the beginning. He gave out food for those that had none, clothed those who could not do so themselves and even funded the building of a cathedral near the town square. It was a beacon of hope for all the people, who believed that their troubled times were behind them and that there were verdant pastures ahead in the horizon.”

Daniel listened carefully. His arms were stiff, but he kept them in place-- just in case.

“It was when he heard his advisors whisper behind his back that things began to go wrong. They laughed at his infirmities. Tarquinius had tried so hard to be normal and had struggled all his life. Before his reign, his brother attempted to take the throne. He had planned Tarquinius’ assassination. It failed and his brother was guillotined for his actions. Tarquinius watched and did not shed a tear, not publicly. I saw him in his chambers late that night. He looked like a child, tears streaming down his cheeks and neck, his hands in his face. When the nobles laughed at him, he realized something. You see,” the voice coughed again and this time it was violent. “-- the nobles reminded him of his brother’s attempt at his own death. Worse, they chided him for his infirmities. They called him a freak and a Quasimodo. I take it you’ve read that one, yes?”

Daniel felt increasingly uncomfortable. It was like the possessor of the voice knew things about him that he had not said or even thought.

“Yes, they made him feel small when he had tried to appear so formidable. It ate at him. He imprisoned them at first, merely wanting to make an example. But then, wherever he looked, he saw their eyes and their laughs. He heard their laughs in his sleep. It haunted him and mocked him. Also, it made him paranoid.”

Daniel slowly let down his arms-- they had begun to grow sore. He opened his eyes. Maybe it would be better to accustom them to the darkness?

“He went through his reign of terror. Nearly everyone was imprisoned and then he began to pick them off, one by one, for execution. By the end, there were nearly none of the original caste left. It was Arall that ended it.”

“Arall?”

“You will find out about him, sooner than you think.”

The voice dissipated. Daniel felt an absence in the room.

He was alone.

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
It was darker in here than she remembered, but her antennae and feet gave her all the information she needed. The smooth stone floor remained dusty, untouched. Even the walls maintained their dampness, perhaps a little damper than previously. And the stalactite roof encroached so much that in some places it connected to the shorter stalagmites that had dared to rise. Cobwebs hung in rags, their masters long dead, legs curled up. The Queen of the Realm Locusts skittered on, her feet dispassionately crushing skeletons and displacing rotted carcasses.

Behind her, her guard further upset the dead things in their path. But for their trooping, it was silent in this entrance to the Underlair.

The musty bitter loam scent that lingered in the air hinted that its owner was close. But that was an illusion. Smell, just like sound, carried through this labyrinthine system, disseminating in confusing swirls and dancing motes where the air was still.

It came in glimpses first, elusive, wavering, faint. Green. And a swirl of black. But a few more corners and corridors and the light steadied: faint individual glows illuminating only the spot where each particle had come to rest. Amongst the green and black danced bronze, weaving, dipping.

The Locust Queen frowned, her antennae twitching faster than usual. She stopped. Her entourage halted, their scent betraying their excited fear of an anticipated fight. They stilled.

And there was the haunting melody that had arrested the Queen's steps. Its hollow cadence and macabre notes caressed all that heard it, urging them to the edge. And there was only ever one edge here. Walk, cross the line, the wordless song beckoned. Come, join the others; the dance just waits for you, its heart. Walk, cross the line, enter The Edge. Forever be.

Ambrosia

Grand Duchess
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:Clap:

Wonderful additions to the story to have with my coffee! Fantastic. :greenie

Good morning, your Majesty.

Good Thursday, dear Royals.

It should be a better day for me than yesterday. I'm currently not dizzy like I was yesterday. Let's say I'm cautiously optimistic. If the dizziness stays away I should be able to actually get something accomplished. And since I have much to do that would be a great blessing. ;)

Right now I'm going to go get another cup of coffee. :)

E.F.B.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Yay, more story!

Morning, Royals! I got the things done that needed doing yesterday. We also have started working on letting the royal puppy briefly explore more parts of the house than just the living room and kitchen. She consistently does fine in the hallway, and has a couple times accidentally gotten into the rooms and behaved herself for the brief time she was in them. She was allowed in the parents' bedroom intentionally last night, though and discovered that A) da royal beagle was on the bed and B) she could jump on the bed too! And it was the funnest thing EVAH!!!!! XD To say the least, it was hard to call her down when I was laughing so hard, but she did listen and got down, so yay for training.

Today it is actually very cool and fall-like, at least so far. It's sooooo nice!!! I shall be in my royal chambers writing, mostly, though crafting will definitely happen later.

DanielSTJ

The Wandering Bard
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Great addiction KoolKat! :D

Good morning Your Majesty and fine Royals!

Coffee is the way, dearest Ambrosia. :)

E.F.B: I have a puppy too! It's a terrier mix! Yay for puppies! What is yours? :)

I am soon to make myself more Rooibos tea. I will be on here for the day along my regular reading and writing activities. = D

Yesterday, I had some homemade beer that a fair friend of my brought over. It was surprisingly and amazingly good. Nothing heavy: 3 glasses. Nonetheless, I felt decent.

Onward! :D

E.F.B.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
E.F.B: I have a puppy too! It's a terrier mix! Yay for puppies! What is yours? :)
Lab/hound mix. We're 100% sure about the black lab as that's mainly what she looks like and that's what her mama was. Less sure about the hound. We just know she has little slashes of white on her toes, chest, and chin, the vet guessed the other half might be hound given her body shape and the fact that she doesn't seem like she's going to get as big as a pure-bred lab, and she can sometimes act very hound-like when that half of her kicks in. Either way, she's a sweetie pie. :)

Welcheren

Picking up tools, honing edges
Registered
Reaction score
:Clap:

I have caught up on the latest additions to the story and what an enthralling read. My thanks for our Bard and Princess Snitchcat.

My salutations to our Majest Queen.
I hope the other members of our Royal Court are all doing well.

Last edited:

LadyV

Tree Hugger
Registered
Reaction score
Good afternoon, Royals!

Another beautiful day! I love this kind of weather. It's bit early in the year for temps to be this wild, but it won't be long before it's the normal for a while.

DanielSTJ

The Wandering Bard
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
He was in the dark.

There was the sound of something dripping. Each drop felt like it was reverberating in Daniel’s ears. He decided to strike another match and view the room around him.

Crack. Crack. Hiss.

A match was lit.

Daniel peered about the room. There was a hole in the wall where before there had been none. It appeared as if something heavy had shattered its way through. Above, and below it, there were cracks in the other stone blocks. The bard worried about the integrity of the foundations, but he cast those aside. There was a dim light coming from the hole.

Should I wait for the raven to return? Or should I go ahead?

Daniel walked over to where the opening was. It was almost as if someone took a knife and cut around the perimeter in order to fit itself through-- it was that intricate. Furthermore, it had the impression that it was a giant being that had made its way through.

The king.

Before him was a long hallway. However, instead of being similar to the other rooms that one might expect from the catacombs, it was as if it was taken out of a mansion. The floor was covered with a long burgundy carpet and there were lanterns that seemed to be elegantly lit. On the walls, although Daniel was barely able to see, he could tell that there were long murals with majestically painted scenes. He did not know the origin or inspiration behind these images, but he could tell that they had been commissioned by professional artists-- it showed in the colors that nearly soared out of the murals to meet his eyes.

The match went out. Daniel knew he would not have to light another one-- the light before him was sufficient for whatever he needed to do. He could still hear the dripping and, for some reason, he visualized a well in his mind. That worried him and he frowned. There was an unsettling feeling beginning to spread over him.

Traps. Check for traps.

He used the practices that the thieves had taught him in the guild before he was banished. That had been one of the first formulations of his lessons. The nobles tended to like their possessions, just not as much as thieves usually did. To this effect, traps were common and it was not out of the ordinary to see thieves trudging around the guild with intense scars or missing fingers. Daniel had done well at lock-picking and they had been convinced that he would bring more revenue into the guild. The taste of copper was never quite far from their mouths and the lure of gold between their fingertips the same.

Picture the opening in your head and rotate around it in your mind. Look for all the nooks and crannies and do not rush. There is time. There is always time, even when it looks like it is running wild away from you like a wild dog. Inspect the area and then go into the details. Use the different areas of your brain to process all the information. Revolve it over and over again. It is best to be prepared rather than to make critical mistakes when quick-witted action is required the most.

He maneuvered around it, searched it for hidden crevices, everything that he could possibly think of. Daniel still remembered the punishments that the guild had inflicted on its members for not being able to find the trap properly. They used canning and, if that did not work, whips. If that did not suffice, they let the thief find out for themselves just how dangerous the trap that they were trying to disarm could be.

Some had died.

As far as Daniel could tell, there were no traps. That was suspicious, but everything about the catacombs was turning out that way. He suspected that such a fluid tendency would continue.

Nothing down here will be ordinary.

He opened his eyes. There was nothing-- he was convinced. Daniel walked, gingerly, into the hallway. The carpet on the ground was soft, even though he was wearing riding boots. He walked a few paces and then looked to one side.

It was a mural of Dante’s Inferno. The scenes depicted were gruesome and graphic in nature. People meeting their eternities in the underworld that awaited them.

He looked away and, then, to the other side.

It was the same concept. The flame seemed to bathe the entire scene in a disturbing glow. It was almost as if the eyes that were looking at him, the eyes of the damned, could look right into the deepest boundaries of his own soul.

Daniel cast his eyes towards the rest of the hallway. It carried on for quite some time. He could not even see the end of it. Along the side, at about the pace of a meter each time, was another lantern.

He began to walk. His steps were the only sounds that were in the corridor. Even the flames made no sound. Every so often he stopped, for he was certain that he heard something, but when he peered around there was nothing in any direction. His hands began to tingle and Daniel clutched them together, trying to control them.

The murals became less and less intense as he walked along. Every so often, he cast a look to both sides to witness what has happening.

You are traveling upward. Is this the path to the light?

At a certain point, he stopped entirely and grabbed one of the lanterns by its handle, shining it on the mural.

There were people everywhere. They looked sad, but also complacent. There was no suffering like he had witnessed before. Instead, they were silent. No lips were moving. The eyes were dim and colorless. It took Daniel a minute to realize it, but when he did a shudder went down his spine.

They are blind. They are all blind.