Not open for further replies.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Good point. I've learned enough about him reading articles in Billboard to know he was quite the showman, more a carnival operator and promoter than a wrestler much of his career. The couple apparently divorced after 17 years, when he had to sell off his carnival rides at a loss to pay his debts after the Big Crash. He married a former vaudeville star and they were together until his death in the 1950s.

However, while I was learning about pre-war wrestling, Mr. Maryn found a relative who died of gonorrhea. We forget there weren't always antibiotics.

Maryn, glad to live now in spite of some things she doesn't like

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Look, people!

Maryn, away from home, sick, and
trying not to ruin everything

Lillian_Blaire

Procrastinator Extraordinaire
Registered
Reaction score
Feel better!

Should I turn up the temp on the hot tub? or do you need some soup? Maybe tea with some whiskey?
I vote yes to all of it!!

- - - Updated - - -

Hi everyone!

The weekend is near upon us all.
Anyone doing anything interesting for it?
Hi, VE! Just chillin in the hot tub! Climb on in!

Komnena

In Honor of Peter Tomich,USS Utah
Registered
Reaction score
I am settling in for a rocky night. I don't see much sleep for me tonight. I don't want to miss my free trip to Oz.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I worried about my Kentucky friends. Glad to hear the worst passed over you all. If it's not prying, Komnena, can you tell me where you shelter? I've wondered if every home has a basement or shelter built in or what people do and where they go it they don't.

We have freakish weather again. Today's high will near 70. Tomorrow's should be about half that. No tornadoes, though. I'll take it. Hell, I'd take a blizzard or two every winter over tornadoes.

Maryn, coughing into her elbow

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Here it's just high winds overnight. Since we cut the trees away from the roof years ago, we should be okay.

There's a lesson I wish more new homeowners knew. Don't plant a tree that will grow to X height any closer than X feet to the house. If it's blown over, you'll keep your roof and siding. Some jackass planted a mutant pear tree about eight feet from the house and it's like forty feet high. We have to cut it back every four or five years. I know we should just cut it down, but I love how this one tree shades the windows on both walls of my room.

Maryn, blathering

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We had a dead tree in our back yard. We coughed up the money to get it cut down because it's better than house repairs if it hit the house.

Sass- with a house that needs other repairs, and a paint job.

Lillian_Blaire

Procrastinator Extraordinaire
Registered
Reaction score
We got hit pretty hard last night but luckily it moved through quickly. No trees in our year to fall in the house, thankfully.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We have some branches down, but no limbs. No damage to speak of. Lots of trash has blown into our little strip of woods, though. Oh, joy, picking up other people's garbage!

Maryn, smart enough not to put the trash out when it's gusting 60 mph

Status
Not open for further replies.