Not open for further replies.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I guess so, since I head about again tomorrow morning. We debated skipping Toronto--two trips so close?--but I'm glad we didn't.

I'll be back March 1, and may stop in from time to time while on the road. We shall see, yes? Hotel internet is so often spotty.

Maryn, escaping winter

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Yessiree, give me a Thomas Guide and an address and I'll nail it.

I first learned about Thomas Guide when I moved to southern California in the late 90s. It was a lifesaver. Such detailed maps ... even little tiny streets showed up there. I lived in Orange County where the cities blend in with each other and sometimes the street names change each time.

I have a new Garmin GPS that I got at the Christmas sales. My old one was about 7 years old and basic. My new one has ongoing traffic updates so I know how late I'm going to be. :tongue

Besides my Fat Tuesday I have lost 15 pounds since mid December.

Whoo hoo! That's great. :snoopy:

I'm thinking about getting back onto my elliptical that's in the garage. I'm still undergoing radiation treatments which sap my energy and cause some pain but I want to get in shape for summer fun and I need to start now, even slowly. When the weather gets not-so-rainy, I want to start riding my bike again.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We have reached our destination du jour. The good folks at Google maps did not assist us, however, instead directing us to drive in a loop around and back into the massive airport rental car lot not once but twice, using different exits and streets. It was one of those things where you laugh to keep from losing your shit.

Today we had lunch by the water and watched pelicans and tourists. It took nearly twice what we estimated to reach our hotel, one lane with heavy traffic most of the way, but we made it. Our hotel room was 77 degrees inside, but it's cooling a bit now. And soon we'll go out to dinner and a look around.

I kind of wish I were writing, but I can't do it very well when we travel.

Komnena

In Honor of Peter Tomich,USS Utah
Registered
Reaction score
Morning, everybody. The laptop finally decided to work again so now I'm back online.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have returned. There is much laundry awaiting my attention. Anybody want to add to the bleach load?

Maryn, competent

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, you shouldn't have been aimin' at me, missy!

Mr. Maryn and I have done the impossible--agreed on drawer pulls. It's amazing the sheer quantity of such things, and while our tastes usually align pretty well ("Any of these three is fine."), on the cabinet he built for our eensy-weensy master bath we could not agree. I am, however, pleased at the prospect of getting my makeup moved off what little counter space there is.

Seriously, the entire bathroom, which includes a shower, is 6x6. I have pretended to bite Mr. Maryn's backside through his jammies when he decides to remove his contact lenses while I'm peeing. Easy reach.

Maryn, TMI

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, you shouldn't have been aimin' at me, missy!

Mr. Maryn and I have done the impossible--agreed on drawer pulls. It's amazing the sheer quantity of such things, and while our tastes usually align pretty well ("Any of these three is fine."), on the cabinet he built for our eensy-weensy master bath we could not agree. I am, however, pleased at the prospect of getting my makeup moved off what little counter space there is.

Seriously, the entire bathroom, which includes a shower, is 6x6. I have pretended to bite Mr. Maryn's backside through his jammies when he decides to remove his contact lenses while I'm peeing. Easy reach.

Maryn, TMI

Haha. Our master bath is tiny as well. I use the other one and let hubs have it. The other one has a bath tub not just a shower.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Don't let swimwear get in your way, ladies and gentlemen. We have these cheerful striped towels for the modest.

But we need our hot tub--it's 23 degrees and windy, spitting just a little snow. I'm quite cozy so long as I'm submerged.

Russ Mars

Interesting little planet you've got here.
Registered
Reaction score
Towel boy here, wondering why all the striped "towels" are washcloth size.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The better to see you, my dear.

Maryn, cackling

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I like to jump in the cold pool then get in the hot tub until I can't stand it, or lay on hot concrete, then get back in the cold pool.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We can arrange that. The pool boy needs to sweep the concrete first, of course.

I'm thinking of you and your hip this afternoon. My bad knee has become the evil knee, on strike and refusing to hold me up. This makes life ever so much fun.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
After a day of occasional practice, I have achieved minimal competence with a cane. I had one from Goodwill that I intended to do Something Cool with, paint or perhaps decoupage, which turned out to be twelve kinds of handy. It's even the right length for me, now that it has a new tip. (Which cost more than I paid for the cane.)

I'm thinking if I need to keep using it, I might attempt a crackle finish, probably black over blue. Plus you can buy a decent looking cane for $13 online. I can get them to match all my clothes, right?

Maryn, who plans to call her doctor tomorrow

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I hope you get helpful news at the doctor.

My cane is snazzy electric blue with black crackle. Thankfully I don't need it right now.

Wye Pen

Banned
Reaction score
Russ nice tomcat.

How's respected people doing about these parts? What' passing presently?

The last time I attended a doctor's appointment turned into the experience of a life time. I finished a session asking him if that was a umbilical cord there on his belly .

P.S.
I have slight problems with my computer and why this row of numbers on my keyboard does not start with zer0?

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Because zero is at the end, which defies logic but follows custom.

I saw the doctor yesterday and got a referral to an orthopod, which sounds like a crustacean, doesn't it? My doc thinks it's a torn meniscus, just age and lifetime use and not related to a specific injury or being heavy (whew!), but other possibilities exist. I see a person Friday for the initial exam which will determine what X-rays and MRIs I need before I see an actual orthopod.

Today's master plan is to clear floors and the kitchen table so I can do my share of house stuff without falling over and breaking my neck. Mr. Maryn has so far been patient and willing to do all the shopping and cooking, but I don't expect that to be a permanent dealie.

It's going to be sixty here today, and warmer tomorrow. This has been a ridiculous winter. I blame myself. We hired a snow plow contractor for the season. He's only been here four times.

Maryn, calculating the price per plow and sobbing

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We are trying a new recipe tonight, grilled porkchops that will have marinated all day in a brown sugar-mustard blend. Mr. Maryn has to go to the store, though. It's like half a jar of mustard, which is a three-month supply around here, maybe longer.

My knee doesn't hurt when I kneel, so we think today might be the day we start pulling up wall to wall carpets to see what kind of shape the hardwood floor is in. The carpets are shot to hell, and I'd like area rugs and bare floor rather than re-creating the 80s look. This is step one of the downstairs renovation we want to do. Things are really dated and worn out. I want new window treatments (what we have is so fussy and I've hated it from day one), new flooring in the entryway and kitchen, and new wallpaper and paint, plus a tile backsplash which Mr. Maryn says he thinks is a decent beginner project. (I want him to practice on a tabletop or something first, though.)

Let the fun begin!

Maryn, who may commit to draperies even though they're a bitch

Wye Pen

Banned
Reaction score
When the present wife mentions of any kind of house renovations or such I tend to habitually tremble with fright this trembling habit continually occurring from circa 1956, the beginning of the five year reign of my first wife.

I as often as not now direct her to carpenters and plumbers and other rude mechanicals.

For those less inclined to mysteries I after short research on Interwebs can safely declare that a zero is not a number.

That said I will surprise myself with a glass of cheap read wine.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.