Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hahaha! Also, happy Saturday.

My nearby city has its annual Lilac Festival this weekend. They're pretty good about predicting when the hundreds (thousands?) of lilacs in the park where it's held are going to bloom, but their record of staving off cold and rain is poor. Today it may reach 55F, and it's raining. Not exactly a delight to walk among the blooms and peruse the vendors and food trucks. Think I'll stay home. Again.

Maryn, a real stay-home person

Trevor Bruhn

Registered
Reaction score
And for the next rainy Saturday, we 2 grandparents took the toddler for her 4th birthday to the Crayola Experience in Easton, PA yesterday. The company manufactures the crayons elsewhere in the town but have developed a four-story indoor theme park where the median age of the consumers was right around four and their fun level was through the roof. Yes, the noise level was up there but nothing compared to what they will be listening to in another ten years.
Trevor, multi-colored

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I vowed long ago that I'd never pressure our kids to provide grandchildren, but I'm jealous.

DanielSTJ

The Wandering Bard
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hahaha! Also, happy Saturday.

My nearby city has its annual Lilac Festival this weekend. They're pretty good about predicting when the hundreds (thousands?) of lilacs in the park where it's held are going to bloom, but their record of staving off cold and rain is poor. Today it may reach 55F, and it's raining. Not exactly a delight to walk among the blooms and peruse the vendors and food trucks. Think I'll stay home. Again.

Maryn, a real stay-home person

Too bad. Lilacs are so pretty and I'm sure it would have been a sight to behold.

lilacs.jpg

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've been maybe a dozen times and the lilacs are indeed lovely. So lovely I bought a lilac on my way out, an Eisenhower Blue with light blue flowers, duly planted it, and watched my investment eaten by the @#$%^&*! deer that very summer.

Mostly I like living directly on the treeline that once separated farms here--in summer it's a green screen blocking other houses from view completely--but the critters use it like a highway and eat at the roadside attractions like my yard. I've learned to plant only things labeled "Deer Resistant." Which is sometimes a joke, as apparently the deer cannot read and eat some of it anyway.

Trevor Bruhn

Registered
Reaction score
Marigolds?
Everett Dirksen jokes aside (and you know you're old when that rings a bell), I always heard upstate NY deer detest marigolds and planted them in gay profusion..
Trevor, down to planter boxes these days

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know about marigolds. Apparently garlic is not tasty to them, but I hear you can smell it yourself, and who wants a yard that smells of garlic? There are various sprays you can use to deter them, but you really have to keep up with it and reapply after every rain. I did it the first half of one summer, something involving rotten eggs, soap, and cayenne. It worked, but I got lazy.

We are driving to a nearby city and visiting its zoo today. I mused during the winter that I missed having young kids to take to the zoo, because I like the zoo. We decided we'd go on a nice day before the schools let out. Not much time left! It's going to be fairly warm, so I hope I don't regret this.

Maryn, recalling this zoo has a big gibbon habitat

Trevor Bruhn

Registered
Reaction score
Spider monkeys! the 4 y.o's favorite bedtime book this week isFrida Kahlo and her Animalitos, and it leads with her two spider monkeys, which are the first critters one sees entering the Philly zoo.

Trevor, animated

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The zoo trip was not what I'd hoped. I should have guessed when we got a really great parking spot. Since we last went there, they've made many changes that are good for the animals but bad for visitors--larger habitats with great places to hide out of sight, for instance. Reptile house closed. No bears. The aardvarks are gone. Only three big cats, all sound asleep. No monkeys at all. Larger gorilla enclosure, but again, lots of hiding places. Larger sea lion exhibit, but they know where they can swim unseen.

I doubt we'll go to that one again. Hell, I see more animals at our little rinky-dink zoo.

Today I feel all noble. It's hot and muggy and I went walking anyway. All hail!

Maryn, who's still plump

Trevor Bruhn

Registered
Reaction score
No aardvarks...:(.
We should have a species beginning with ZZ (other than the band) to bookend the aardvarks.

Trevor, guilted into walking

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's still ridiculously muggy for this time of year. Today I blew off walking. It's not that hot--mid 80s--but the humidity is horrific.

Why can't it be 58 with sunshine and a light breeze every time I ought to walk? Oh, right, because I don't live in San Francisco.

I've been rereading some of my older stories with the idea of potentially self-publishing. I was amused at one I wrote long enough ago that my character drops on the bar maybe a third of what it now takes to pay for two drinks and a decent tip at an expensive restaurant.

Maryn, whose favorite place has cocktails starting--starting!--at $12, artisinal cocktails at $16

Trevor Bruhn

Registered
Reaction score
And that's just in our adult lifetimes. I just finished one of Pelecanos's D.C. crime novels, the Big Blowdown, set in the late 1940s. If you know the Pelecanos style, with his extreme focus on details, you can get a refresher on what drinks and shoes and cars and taxi rides all cost back around 1949.

Trevor, allergic to $12 cocktails or even $7 pints

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ate dinner with a large group tonight, including one who was the slowest eater ever. Like forty minutes to eat a small steak! Anyway, they were very good about refilling our glasses and I must’ve drunk a couple quarts of water.

and one gin and tonic.

Trevor Bruhn

Registered
Reaction score
Fathers Day was grand, with son and grandson at Safeco Field. That the visiting Red Sox prevailed gladdened the poster's heart, tho not the hearts of his offspring.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I am apparently a Red Sox curse this year. Take last night. Mr. Maryn went upstairs to watch the end of the game while I watched something else. When my show ended, I turned off the lights and went upstairs. As I opened the bedroom door, I heard him groan--the Twins pulled ahead 3-2. I got ready for bed. He offered to go watch it elsewhere but I said I wasn't ready to sleep yet and he could stay where he was. So I watched the Twins pull ahead, final score 6-2--and clearly all my fault.

Maryn, hoping Pedroia isn't mad at her

Trevor Bruhn

Registered
Reaction score
Smokin' Sox! I have effected a move about 40 miles from previous spot, as the crow would fly over water. Rents in former locale were soaring due to what some RE journos call a Seattle Spillover Effect.
Having finished a first draft of a 73K word count novel, I'm thinking of hanging out in SYW Query Letter Hell until I can drag out a shaking, trembling first cut at a query letter. Unlike some SYW sites M and I know, this one gets lots of critters. With or without garlic.
Trevor, summerizing

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I find queries are such a different beast that I'm at the start of the learning curve even though I kind of know how to write already. But the peeps there are seasoned veterans, so I bet they can help you whip that thing into acceptable shape.

I heard from Sassy recently. She lives!

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I see a same regular or two :)hi:, Maryn) and some fresh talent. Haven't said much in Ray's for quite a while but have peeked in now and then. Hope to visit more if it's okay with the present crew. :greenie

Last edited:

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We'd be delighted to have you join us, my friend.

I recommended your editing service online the other day, when a complete stranger wanted to know where to find an editor who knows what they're doing. Between the lines I read that she'd been ripped off by someone unqualified who hung out a shingle nevertheless. As usual, I gave them the URL of your website and that of one other AW person who edits, and tell them you are my grammar guy. Do these people ever contact you? I don't use the name "Maryn" there.

Maryn, here

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:ty: for the plugs, Maryn :Hug2:. No new tryouts for clients of late. I feel bad when writers are ripped off. The internet's a scary place. It's why I offer to edit the first 3,000 words free, then never bill up front--only if and when clients are satisfied with their manuscripts. End of commercial.

My new hip works better and better, and I get around with only a cane and knee brace while waiting for a new knee. Was really sick of the walker.

Trevor, don't know if you're a 'Hawks fan, but we're looking forward to the '18 season. Kay wants to adopt Russ Wilson, and we'll both miss Richie Sherman, but we have hopes this year's team won't implode partway into the season from things not gridiron related.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, with luck one day when I recommend you, the person will follow through. But the site where I try to answer questions about books and writing is awash in teens who don't have any money. Or skill. Or basic education in written English.

Maryn, who moved here for the school district

Trevor Bruhn

Registered
Reaction score
Another voice from the PNW, hi, Chase.
Football talk already? Shouldn't July be the one month baseball gets center stage?
Trevor, thinking of peanuts and Cracker Jack

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I like baseball and go to five or six games a year. The local Triple-A games are especially pleasant. Cheap seats and food, too, compared to the bigs, and it's common to see some player get called up to the majors weeks after you saw him from twenty feet away, in a uniform with patched pants.

Chase, my morning paper had a big article about a local college for the deaf creating new ASL signs for academic use so interpreters aren't doomed to spell out so many words unique to a field of study. Apparently they're part of ASLCORE, which seeks to speed up development of ASL lexicon for college students.

(And I think one of them is a former classmate of our older daughter, but I'm not sure that's how she spelled her last name. Plus she looks a little too old. The Kid has not replied to my email asking.)

They mentioned the process for coming up with a sign for fresco, painting on plaster while it's wet. Combining the signs for paint and harden? Do we include wall or ceiling? Wait, wet has to be in there. Anyway, it was fascinating and made me think of you. New words!

Status
Not open for further replies.