Ray's House of Love Vol III

Status
Not open for further replies.

oneblindmouse

The new me
Registered
Reaction score
So glad the hot tub is still working. And deliciously warm and steamy! I missed you guys, but a lot's been happening in my life, so I haven't had time for R&R.

It's good to see familiar faces again: Kommena and Maryn (to whom I'll always be grateful for wonderful advice and sympathy at a deep and dark moment in my life a few years ago).

And it's good to meet up with Lillian, whom I have a lot of fun with on the games forum.

And Daniel is also familiar.

We've got builders in the flat this week, so life is very complicated. One minute I have to toilet, the next moment I have a toilet but no hot water. Tomorrow I've been told I'll have no floor!!

Mouse - living in the moment (though in chaos).

Lillian_Blaire

Procrastinator Extraordinaire
Registered
Reaction score
Mouse! :Hi: Hang in there! Sounds like a rough go of things at the moment but it won’t last forever.

oneblindmouse

The new me
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Lillian. No, things are good. Busy but good. 2016 was very stressful, though it had some moentous days. 2017 was much better. More peaceful and productive. Let's see what 2018 brings.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
I was a dutiful homeowner and shoveled us out when it was 1 degree out, wind chill 25 below zero. I was okay, but I was glad Mr. Maryn was there to do half.
We've been lucky so far, hardly any snow to speak of. South Carolina got more snow than we have all winter.

We've just been sub-zero for a few weeks.

Snow would be almost preferable.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If you're missing snow, we have a guest room. Apparently we're getting a new 1 to 3 inches--not much--with every new forecast. It's snowing now. It snowed overnight. I think it's around zero, but I should get out there and clear it before it gets really deep. Come on, you know you want to help.

In other news, I was looking for something on my computer (even the best meaningful document name isn't always enough, now, is it?) and came across an abandoned short story. I read the start and it was pretty good. What was not so good is that I didn't write down where it was going. Duh. I bet I had something in mind, lost to the ages.

Maryn, sure it was brilliant, too

Lillian_Blaire

Registered
Reaction score
Maryn, I can’t tell you how many times that’s happened to me. You’d think with my terrible memory I’d remember to write stuff down but I don’t. Who knows how many amazing stories are now lost. Or crappy stories, maybe.

Lillian_Blaire

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Lillian. No, things are good. Busy but good. 2016 was very stressful, though it had some moentous days. 2017 was much better. More peaceful and productive. Let's see what 2018 brings.
Wishing you all the best for 2018. I’m looking for some improvement over last year, for sure.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
As are we all, even those who know they've been luckier than some.

Lillian_Blaire

Registered
Reaction score
Have a great week guys! *turns off the hot tub, covers it*

Meet you all back here on Sunday, right? See you then!

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Annnnd, we're back. I'm sure most of you know that we may be up and down while our admin works out glitches. So save your heavily researched posts on hot tubs to your own computer, in case the site goes down before you even finish the water purifier section.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think we'd better drain it, scrub it down, and start over, just in case.

It's not supposed to snow today, but it is. One of the most serene moments of my adult life was a half hour in a hot tub outside, with a roof over that part of the deck, watching it snow. Can we make it extra hot, please?

Maryn, who thinks she'd like it again

Lillian_Blaire

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, we got snow yesterday and it actually stuck. It was one for the record books. Southern Georgia should NEVER have snow like this. And today it's now ice. Ugh.

That scenario sounds awesome. I haven't been in an actual hot tub in years and it was indoors. Not nearly as peaceful sounding.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I can't remember if I've mentioned it in here, but we are most likely moving in less than a year. The housing market where we want to be is different than here and we can get more house for the buck. So a hot tub is possible. Not a sure thing or even high on the list, but a few I've bookmarked on Zillow have one.

I'm so sensible. A wood-burning fireplace comes higher.

Lillian_Blaire

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, fun! I like house-hunting. Now, moving I don’t love nearly as much. I moved 14 times in 16 years, but have been in my current home three and a half years. I told myself I’d never move again, but that may not be the case after all. *sigh*

Might be worth it to get a hot tub and a wood burning stove, though.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What's especially fun for me is that our daughter and her new husband may also be buying a house around the same time, so I get to house-shop for them online, too. Frankly, I'm amazed they've been able to save any money based on what they pay her. The Kid was always good with money.

Maryn, who is, too

Lillian_Blaire

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, that's awesome!

I need to find an apartment for my son to move into. Sadly, he's NOT good with money and apartment hunting isn't nearly as enjoyable as house hunting.

But I need my craft room back ASAP. lol

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I guess it depends on how apartments rent where you are. Least enjoyable is probably newspaper ads. Most enjoyable is Zillow with a handful of pictures and a good bit of information, including a map and neighborhood rating. But I gather that most rentals now are Craigslist or a local equivalent, which at least has a picture or two.

I was just reading an advice column situation I've seen echoed among online friends. Married couple has a house. Without wife's knowledge, husband offers the "spare" room (which was filled with stuff) to a friend having a hard time. Wife must clear it out and find a place for all those items. Then the guest, who may or may not pay rent, just stays and stays and stays some more, to the detriment of the marriage. When wife meekly complains, husband assures her it won't be much longer, but nothing changes.

I'd stick a fork in his forehead.

Lillian_Blaire

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, I've been there.

Many years ago, after husband #1 and I had just gotten married, he told me his friend needed to spend a night or two on the couch. Two nights turned into four. The next day, the guy's girlfriend showed up. No one asked me if he could stay and he didn't ask if she could stay. I was SO MAD. We didn't have a spare room, we lived in a one-room apartment. They took over my living room (and the only place outside of the bedroom I could go to relax in the house. Then my husband informed me the friend and his girlfriend would be staying a week. Then it was a month. They didn't help with rent or pay for any food. I finally told husband #1 either he kicked them out or I was leaving and he said, "I won't ask my friends to leave". So I packed my bags and drove to my parents house (four hours away) and when he realized he couldn't pay rent on the apartment and feed his friends without my income, he kicked them out and begged me back home. I said no and found an apartment of my own. This is where I messed up, however...he moved out of the old apartment and I let him move in with me in the new apartment, trying to save our marriage. Which didn't work.

That was a looooong time ago. I was young (only 20), and learned a good lesson from the experience. Don't let friends stay at your house to 'help them out'. Ever. That marriage only lasted 2 and a half years and it's easy to see why. haha.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, you have been in exactly that spot. I wonder if it's more common than I realized, because I would never consider it.

Hm, I wonder if there's a short story in there. I have one due on Feb. 7 for my mystery-suspense-thriller group and the well is kind of dry. Maybe the wife surreptitiously does things to encourage the guest to leave, and, uh, what? Ends up killing him by accident? Ends up getting beaten to a pulp on discovery? Hardly a satisfying conclusion.

Lillian_Blaire

Registered
Reaction score
Hmmm...I think you have an idea here. Isn't there a movie out about this right now? Mother, with Jennifer Lawrence? She moves into a new house with her husband and he keeps inviting people to stay there, until the whole place is crawling with guests. I haven't seen it so I don't know how it ends, but my guess is at least one or two people end up dead.

You could always have the woman leave in the end, like I did. Might be a better ending than murder. Or she could murder them and leave, having made sure she doesn't get caught (somehow). I dunno. That's not my genre.

oneblindmouse

The new me
Registered
Reaction score
I knew a couple (about 30 years ago) who let the husband's friend move in "temporarily" when he had problems. He also found him a job at the company he worked for. Long story short: several months later the wife left the husband for the friend.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There ya go! Story line complete.

Status
Not open for further replies.