Describing a man's facial appearance

stardustx

Dreaming about fictional characters
Registered
Reaction score
I'm trying to describe the appearance of one of my characters, a young man who is a pirate. I'm having trouble describing his face...I mean, his facial hair. He has mostly scruffy stubble, on his upper lip, chin, and possibly sideburns. But how do I describe this?

I keep thinking of that one phrase, "a four o'clock shadow..." or maybe it's "a five o'clock shadow..." I can't even remember it correctly. But I need ways to describe his scruffy stubble, lol.

I guess, in a cliche way, I would say my character is "dashing" or at least "good looking" or "handsome..." But I feel like I need better ways to describe his facial appearance. Any suggestions?

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have a question for you - and it's just based on the understanding that you're an adult and a writer, so no offence intended - do you think you might have prosopagnosia? I ask because I have it, and one of the things my editors always remind me about is - hey: could we have a few words about what your characters look like?

Maxx B

Registered
Reaction score
Rather than rely on tired descriptions, try something more original.

'He hadn't shaved for a couple of days. His beard, or lack of it to be more accurate, was a patchwork or bare skin and stubble.'

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
Or simile or metaphor:

His cheeks and jaw looked like a recently denuded forest, showing chopped stubble in a thick mat.

Whatever sideburns and beard had shown upon his face, had been whacked to the quick a fortnight ago.

His face was a haze of grey stubble.

His attempt at a clean-shaven face was a sloppy attempt and result.

His facial hair resembled small trees, chopped and butchered to nubbins.

Although recently shaved, his face resembled a rasping board.

I dunno, it could be poetic/period prose or a more contemporary description. Just playing around here.

I love to do expressions the same ways sometimes. "Her face waxed of a thunderstorm, full of dark clouds and lightning strikes."

Have fun wit it, whatever you decide to do.

tri

Last edited:

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
Or you could be simple about it: He was an ugly cuss who didn't even bother to shave as often as he should have.

wendymarlowe

writer, mother, geek
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
. . . or don't describe it at all. It doesn't really matter what his beard looks like - if it doesn't impact the story in any way, readers will imagine/remember it as "generally pirate-like," no matter what you actually said about it.

Bing Z

illiterate primate
Registered
Reaction score
slightly OT

His attempt at a clean-shaven face was a sloppy attempt and result.

Even after watching (and adoring with furies of jealousy) Orlando Bloom in the Pirates of the Caribbean franchise numerous times, I still don't understand why privates would shave their faces. What for? I mean, how many Angelicas would a handsome private meet in a lifetime?

Or is this why my romance plots always suck?

Bolero

Registered
Reaction score
Even after watching (and adoring with furies of jealousy) Orlando Bloom in the Pirates of the Caribbean franchise numerous times, I still don't understand why privates would shave their faces. What for? I mean, how many Angelicas would a handsome private meet in a lifetime?

Or is this why my romance plots always suck?

:D

And why can't bearded men get gorgeous girls I ask?

To OP - is the description of the pirate general narrative, or from a PoV? If the latter, then how the description is phrased, and the plus or minus aspect of it, is also a window on the PoV character.

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I'm trying to describe the appearance of one of my characters, a young man who is a pirate. I'm having trouble describing his face...I mean, his facial hair. He has mostly scruffy stubble, on his upper lip, chin, and possibly sideburns. But how do I describe this?

You just did.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
:D

And why can't bearded men get gorgeous girls I ask?

Ask this man

I think he has no probs...

Or this one

Or this

It's all about attitude

You describe it as anything else -- through your POV character and how they see it. They might say "he had a scruffy beard" or " he looked like he didn't need to shave often and so didn't bother" or "there was a dead gerbil on his chin" or "the lbeard that lined his chin showed off the cheekbones cut like crystal"

It all depends on your POV.

Last edited: