Fade In or Upgrade Final Draft

beachbum21k

I'm tired
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kylejohnmorgan.com
I've been working on other types of writing over the last few years and I've recently started up my Final Draft and was having compatibility issues with version 7 on Windows 8.1.

I'm considering, based on things that I've heard, buying fade in rather than upgrading my Final Draft.

Has anyone else tried that program?

I'm mostly just concerned with cost and compatibility. I like the way the Fade In app looks too.

sekime

Writing and learning
Registered
Reaction score
This is obvious. Buy Fade In, and save your money for other things. Fade In is so much better. Don't believe it? Email the developer with a question. He'll get back to you in very quickly. Email the developer with a feature request, he'll email you back and implement it or tell you why he can't/shouldn't. Email the developer with bug, he'll fix it and release a FREE update very quickly.

I am so happy with my purchase of Fade In. $50 vs. whatever Final Draft is charging. A no brainer. Even if you're on the fence, try the Fade In demo. You won't be on the fence for long.

Robert_S

Registered
Reaction score
I have fadein and final draft and I'm liking fadein more and more. It has just as much analysis tools as FD and fewer bugs.

However, I like FD9's navigator and it's easier to index card the outline. FI needs more steps to create index cards with headers and summaries. A shame.

I've written the developers twice with feature ideas. One being the ability to export only the scene headers and summaries for use in outlining. I use both outlining and cards to laydown the foundation, but as above, using FI's index cards is a PITA.

I draft on Scrivener and move to FI or FD for finishing.

FantasticF

Going Ham
Registered
Reaction score
Do even better than that and just get Celtx which is 100% free and just as good.

They advertise an "All In One" Studio but all you need is the screenwriting software.

You can get a copy of it here.

Last edited:

Robert_S

Registered
Reaction score
Do even better than that and just get Celtx which is 100% free and just as good.

They advertise an "All In One" Studio but all you need is the screenwriting software.

If he needs to transfer to FD, he won't be able to with Celtx. It doesn't export anything except PDF.

While I agree with many that FD is hardly the one to be called the standard, it is so ubiquitous among screenwriters, producers, etc. that it's pretty important to be able to export to the format even if you don't have FD.

FI can export to FDX, so can scrivener and I think even Trelby exports to FDX, but not Celtx.

Last edited:

FantasticF

Going Ham
Registered
Reaction score
If he needs to transfer to FD, he won't be able to with Celtx. It doesn't export anything except PDF.

While I agree with many that FD is hardly the one to be called the standard, it is so ubiquitous among screenwriters, producers, etc. that it's pretty important to be able to export to the format even if you don't have FD.

FI can export to FDX, so can scrivener and I think even Trelby exports to FDX, but not Celtx.

I'm not sure why you think that but you most certainly can.

There are even instructions on the Final Draft website on how to do so.

And besides that, why would he need to? He wants to switch FROM Final Draft to something else.

Why would he ever want to export from "insert software here" back to Final Draft?

gdkaufmann

Registered
Reaction score

And besides that, why would he need to? He wants to switch FROM Final Draft to something else.

Why would he ever want to export from "insert software here" back to Final Draft?

But the OP seems to want to switch mainly for money reasons, and not because they are necessarily unhappy with FD. Add to that the fact that many producers, competitions, and potential collaborators may only use FD, and the reasons to export to FD seem clear and compelling.

Robert_S

Registered
Reaction score

Not likely to be a good conversion. A tested moving a script I have to Celtx, via the txt import/export. Fail. If the OP is collaborating with someone using FD, the last thing he needs to do is having to reformat every time he receives edits from his partner.

Celtx is free, but you get what you pay for. FI may be $50, but it's only $50 and can import/export FDX perfectly. The main issue I have is the difficulty with the index card system. That is why I recommend a scrivener + FI combo. Still less than half the price of a new FD alone.

You didn't read my post, not all of it at least. I can tell because I already cited the reason.

Last edited:

FantasticF

Going Ham
Registered
Reaction score
Not likely to be a good conversion. A tested moving a script I have to Celtx, via the txt import/export. Fail. If the OP is collaborating with someone using FD, the last thing he needs to do is having to reformat every time he receives edits from his partner.

Celtx is free, but you get what you pay for. FI may be $50, but it's only $50 and can import/export FDX perfectly. The main issue I have is the difficulty with the index card system. That is why I recommend a scrivener + FI combo. Still less than half the price of a new FD alone.

You didn't read my post, not all of it at least. I can tell because I already cited the reason.

I did read your original post.

And if he wanted to collab with someone else, they could get Celtx for free (but I've never had trouble with what you speak of).

It has that feature so that's not really a viable reason in my opinion.

And that's weird. I've never had any trouble exporting to/from Celtx.

But nonetheless, we'll get back on topic. I hope the OP finds something worthwhile!

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
What I'd suggest is that the OP tries the Fade In trial version, and if this offers an export to Final Draft option (I dunno if this might be disabled or not in the trial version) then try importing this file into Final Draft, which the OP has. If that works successfully then there's no problem if a prodco requests a screenplay in Final Draft format.

-Derek

Robert_S

Registered
Reaction score
And if he wanted to collab with someone else, they could get Celtx for free (but I've never had trouble with what you speak of).

You cannot collaborate on the free version. You have to pay their monthly/annual fee and get Celtx plus or whatever it's called. Otherwise, you're passing files back and forth via e-mail or dropbox, something you can do with any other writing program. Then it comes down to FI can import/export FDX perfectly.

If you're a big celtx user as you infer you are, you would know this. I'm not a celtx user, but I looked into it and I know it.

I'm not induced by the cloud provided application model coming out. I would prefer something standalone, with a good SSL system for direct connects.

What I'd suggest is that the OP tries the Fade In trial version, and if this offers an export to Final Draft option (I dunno if this might be disabled or not in the trial version) then try importing this file into Final Draft, which the OP has. If that works successfully then there's no problem if a prodco requests a screenplay in Final Draft format.

-Derek

It'll put a watermark on the output. That could flag it to a prodco. The trial version works pretty muck like the pro/paid version, except it pops up an annoyance screen if your script is over 10-15 pages (don't remember the threshold) and put a watermark on all output.

Last edited:

sekime

Writing and learning
Registered
Reaction score

Not just as good. Not even close.

If script collaboration is a priority, the WriterDuet is something to look into...And it's FREE.

FantasticF

Going Ham
Registered
Reaction score
Not just as good. Not even close.

If script collaboration is a priority, the WriterDuet is something to look into...And it's FREE.

Maybe tell us why it isn't just as good?

We're here to help the OP and some pros/cons would be great.