Status
Not open for further replies.

AHunter3

Author-Curmudgeon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.genderkitten.com
Nonfiction or done up as fiction, what written accounts of growing up and coming to terms with being LGBT or Q (or RSTUVetc) have you loved and hated?

I liked Genderqueer: Voices from Beyond the Sexual Binary, Joan Nestle, Clare Howel lan driki Wilchins, Eds, but I found myself wishing for a full-length story instead of all those snippets, as good as some of them were.

I found a self-published book, The Other Genders: Androgune, Genderqueer, Non-Binary Gender Variant by Ken Wickham (available on Amazon) to interesting but not what I was expecting. It's very focused on the specific GQ variant he calls "androgyne". Which is good, I think it's good to unpack genderqueer a bit and look at the different flavors and manifestations and whatnot, just not what I had been anticipating. Also, he was trying to be very hard-science about it, yet didn't have much sample size to be going all empirical-research about it.

I enjoyed reading She's Not There: A Life in Two Genders by jennifer Finney Boylan, who is a good writer with a perpetually amused kind of way of looking at the world. As with nearly everything in print that acts as a full-length coming-out story by a transgendered person, it comes from the perspective of an individual who sought out the surgery. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but it reinforces my sense that transgendered, as used and understood, effectively means the same thing as the old term transsexual... not that there's anything wrong with that either, I don't mean to sound at all prescriptive about how words should be used so much as I'm always always fishing around for the best term that doesn't mean something other than how I'd intended, you know?

I really enjoyed Stone Butch Blues by Leslie Feinberg. I've heard unfortunately that she's quite sick, which is sad. Her book shook me up and made me cry and I think she's very brave on a lot of levels as well as breaking new ground when she wrote this.

I liked The Last Time I Wore a Dress by Daphne Scholinski, in particular because I also got psychiatrized because of having a gender identity at odds with what was expected due to my biological sex.

I want to catch up on coming-out stories that I might be unaware of and also hear what y'all think of the titles you've read.

Status
Not open for further replies.