Should i Mention That............

52greg

Registered
Reaction score
Should I tell an agent up front that I have cerebral palsy? I've been advised not to, on the theory that that would give an agent an easy way out. On the other hand, it's a significant part of the package the agent would be representing.

52greg

Registered
Reaction score
No. I've written six novels I'm trying to sell, and none of them are about cerebral palsy, though one has a supporting character who has CP.

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
Then, nope, I wouldn't mention it in your query. The query has a limited space to impress the agent, keep everything relevant to the book you're subbing. Good luck.

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Personally, I would mention something like that during a first phone conversation with an agent. It isn't something you need to bring up in the query, unless it has a direct bearing on the book you are querying.

Once you're talking to an agent about representation, you should talk it over as, I would think, it might impact your potential to travel and do appearances. (Not that you couldn't do all those things, but they'll need to know that you may need different accommodations made.)

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Darned right I'd mention it. You may as well use it to your advantage. It won't give an agent an easy way out. No agent needs an easy way out. They can say "NO" without half trying.

But it might well give an agent a bit of leverage in your favor. A writer having cerebral palsy is good publicity, so take advantage of it. It's also GOOD for public appearances.

The world is full of people in every field, even stand up comedy, who have cerebral palsy.

Last edited:

Tromboli

Hopelessly Hopeful
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staceytrombley.com
Diversity is a hot topic right now so it's possible CP could be used to your advantage, especially if there is some kind of platform you could use. Though I'd personally only mention it during the call, as Aggy suggested.

Treehouseman

Registered
Reaction score
I would say NO, not until you have a conversation with an agent and it pertains directly to output or publicity. Or if your book is specifically about CP.

No agent is going to be guilted into accepting a book purely because they feel sorry for you (and ugh, what a horrible thought, that you were considered a person accepted only through pity and charity, and not because you were any good.)In fact it might have the opposite effect, as it does in Everything Else In Life.

I have a disability too, and the thing that SUCKED the most growing up were the special "encouragement awards" they would hand out to every crip and handicapped person just for turing up. Yuck.Yuck.Yuck.

The only place to mention CP really would be to explain that you might not be super-quick on the keyboard and it might mean they would factor it in when having deadlines and publishing deals. Also if you had a disabled character in a novel and you had a certain insider view of their perspective.

Deleted member 42

Unless you're writing a non-fiction book about disability, no, you shouldn't.

They're buying your book, not you.

You're a writer, not a charity case.

52greg

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you all for your input.

It's interesting. I put this in the "Ask The Agent" section hoping for insight from a flesh and blood agent, but so far, I seem to be hearing only from fellow writers.

Some of you have counseled the CP thing should be brought up in the first phone call with the agent. Well, my speech is poor because of the CP, and I can't really use the phone. Would agents and editors shy from my novels if my participation in marketing them would necessarily be limited?

Treehouseman

Registered
Reaction score

It's interesting. I put this in the "Ask The Agent" section hoping for insight from a flesh and blood agent, but so far, I seem to be hearing only from fellow writers.

Some of you have counseled the CP thing should be brought up in the first phone call with the agent. Well, my speech is poor because of the CP, and I can't really use the phone. Would agents and editors shy from my novels if my participation in marketing them would necessarily be limited?

I think its probably because no question is a new one, I guess. You'll be in email contact prior to "the call", which is a good a time as any to bring it up. She might decide to communicate by email only (as with international clients!)

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score

Not necessarily. There are plenty of authors who don't do appearances or phone interviews, etc. If you are unable to conduct business on the phone, you can likely do it by email. (My agent called me a little out of the blue after I'd sent him the full MS, but that's unusual. Most agents will contact you via email to discuss setting up a phone interview, but that's not a necessary thing. That would be the time to mention the limitations caused by the CP.)

You might also consider if you have someone close to you who would be able to help speak on your behalf. A spouse or family member perhaps who could ask questions for you and otherwise help communicate outside of email. Again, it's okay if you don't. The agent will be interested more in the book than in you to a certain extent so don't stress if everything has to be done via emails.

(Not being familiar with your situation, I'm spitballing ideas a little. It certainly doesn't mean my suggestions or anyone elses are the only way to do things.)

52greg

Registered
Reaction score
I thought writing novels would be something I could do at home, at my own pace. That part has worked. Selling them, however, turns out to be more complicated. :)

Corinne Duyvis

My New Cat Is Too Big for Shoulders
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.corinneduyvis.com
Thankfully, as much as authors and editors like it when people have a chance to market themselves, writing is still exactly the kind of business where you CAN get published sitting at home and working at your own pace. If you explain, they'll understand, and if they don't, they might not be the kind of people you want to work with. I agree that it's not relevant until an agent expresses interest--and yes, when an agent does express interest, 99% of them will have no problem doing so via e-mail if that's your preference.

Have you heard of author J.B. Redmond? http://disabilityinkidlit.wordpress.com/2013/10/11/j-b-redmond-what-you-see-and-what-you-dont-see/

Deleted member 42

If you submit and the agent contacts you and asks for a phone call, you explain then that CP makes phone calls exceedingly difficult because your speech is affected, and suggest an alternative--possibly email or text-based chat.

I'm quite matter of fact about the fact that I have visual difficulties when it becomes an issue. I don't mention them until it becomes appropriate, but then I just refer to them in very matter of fact terms.

For instance, when editors or colleagues want to meet someplace I tell them up front that I can't see well, and what I look like, and I ask them to watch for me or tell the concierge or waitstaff their name so that can ask for them, because I likely won't be able to find them otherwise.

The thing is, until it's pertinent, it isn't.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Medi's spot on. (To save time, just memorize that phrase; it most always applies around here.)

When you get an agent's email saying they'd like to set-up a phone call, reply in clear terms, explaining that verbal communication is difficult due to CP. It's not a fact that should have any bearing on the viability of your writing.

There are many writers who have visual or vocal issues that make certain modes of communication less than optimal, but it doesn't change the fact that 'the book's the thing.' I always ask for email communications, except in instances where the phone is the only alternative, and so far, the request has always been enough.

JanetReid

Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a flesh and blood agent. It's your blood in the water of course, not mine.

Don't mention CP in the query. Let your work speak for itself.

When an agent calls, or asks to set up a phone meeting, explain that CP means you aren't comfy on the phone. (And lest you think you're somehow alone in this I assure you that is NOT the case. I have several non-CP people who hate loathe and despise La Telefonita)

CP will have an impact on the kind of publicity and marketing you can do. Be straightforward about what you can and can not do. We all have those kinds of issues. I have a hard time being nice to people for instance, so I'm not allowed to be near civilians any more.

Good luck with your career.

52greg

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, all-- including the one flesh and blood agent who's responded so far. I'm actually not comfortable bringing up the CP just to bring it up, but I also wanted to be fair to the agents I contact.