Status
Not open for further replies.

roach

annoyed and annoying
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.idiorhythmic.net
The protagonist in my fantasy WIP is Catholic. I, however, am not, and am having a hard time researching certain things.

My current sticking point is on baptism. I grew up going to a Baptist church. When I was Baptized I was given a certificate of baptism (still have it in a file somewhere). My research has led me to believe that this isn't done in Catholicism. Are baptisms just recorded in a parish book and that's it? Do churches give out any kind of certificates to members, for First Communion or anything like that?

The reason I'm researching this is that I'd like to have her keep certain items in her Bible. My first thought was the certificate of baptism, but now I'm not sure she would even have one. Since this is an alternate history/fantasy story I could probably just make something up. I'd rather know how far afield I'm going though.

rtilryarms

Crossbows and Handgonnes
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I am catholic.

Yes we received a Certificate of Baptism for our kids. If you need any wording or details let me know. We keep it in a fire vault but I think I remember the combination.

roach

annoyed and annoying
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.idiorhythmic.net
Excellent! Thank you. I don't need the wording, just wanted to know the item does exist. All the research I've been doing has been interesting but mostly in the abstract. I feel that I'm missing a lot of smaller, daily life type of details and worry that my character is going to come across as "Hollywood" Catholic, which is the exact oposite of what I want.

I've read that there are two different types of nuns: nuns and religious sisters. Although both are supposed to be refered to as nuns by the laity there are technical differences, one being that nuns reside in a convent while religious sisters reside in an institution. Do you or anyone know about this, and are convents just convents, no matter what the technical differences, to the general population?

My protagonist has a sister who belongs to the religious sister category and I'm just wondering if I can get away with calling her residence a convent since she can be called a nun without the distinction.

rtilryarms

Crossbows and Handgonnes
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
we Catholics protect our information.

BTW, I need your address. Now I have to kill you....sorry

rtilryarms

Crossbows and Handgonnes
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
LOL

I couldn't figure out which person you were so I put a curse on the entire team. If the Cubs ever get close to another playoff win, I will be there in the stands to intercept a catchable flyball and make it an automatic homerun!

Hey, it could happen...

eloisemay

Registered
Reaction score
Nuns and religious sisters

To Roach:

Why on earth are you writing about a Catholic protagonist unless you know something about the Church? I'm Catholic and I'd never write from a Lutheran point of view. Too many credibility issues.

However, nuns and sisters are interchangeable terms. There are nuns who belong to a specific order (e.g., Carmelite) who live in a convent and are limited by the provisions of their order. Some devote their lives to prayer and never go outside the walls of the convent. Others, for instance those who belong to the order of Sisters of St. Joseph, usually teach or help out with social welfare situations and may live in apartments, etc., as well as in a community setting.

By the by, there's lots more to Catholic baptism beyond the artifact of a certificate. Catholics will spot your ignorance if you don't research all this further.

rtilryarms

Crossbows and Handgonnes
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Writers do not have to be experts in a fictional situation as long as the subject, such as Catholicism, is not the main theme. If the fiction were about Catholicism, there would be trouble. If the Protagonist happens to be Catholic, the Author only has to be familiar with certain things that might show up in a scene in the story. Like a Baptismal Cert. for instance, whaich can be researched easily.

roach

annoyed and annoying
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.idiorhythmic.net
When I first thought about posting this question I questioned whether I should post it here or down in the Spiritual topic. I dithered over the decision for several days, one of the reasons being that I feared the exact response I just received.

I am doing research. I'm doing a lot of research, not only into Catholicism, but into Potawatomi, Ojibway, and Aztec cultures (language, myths, etc.). I'm reading up on architecture, demonology, Medieval philosophy and a dozen other topics that are in some way related to my book.

The fact that my protagonist's religion causes her some problems is the reason that I am doing so much research. While I may change a thing here or there (it is a fantasy based in an alternate Earth) I don't want to meddle with anything that doesn't have to, nor do I want to be seen as writing out of my *ahem*.

I want to be respectful to all the living religions and cultures that I am using in my story. Which is why I am dong so much research. Which in turn is why I posted my question. All my research didn't tell me if certificates of Baptism were issued by the Catholic Church. I could have just left out this detail, but it adds a level of verisimilitude to the story that I want.

Last edited:

ideagirl

Registered
Reaction score
Sounds to me like you need a book explaining the basics of Catholicism... I'm reminded of one a friend of mine got to give her fiance (she was Catholic, he was Jewish): Why Do Catholics Do That? A Guide to the Teachings and Practices of the Catholic Church, by Kevin Orlin Johnson.

roach

annoyed and annoying
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.idiorhythmic.net
Hi Ideagirl! Thanks for the recommendation. I had checked out some books along that subject, along with the book of catechism and various online sites, but not that specific book.

Branwyn

Print release:Sept.1,'09
Registered
Reaction score
eloisemay said:
To Roach:

Why on earth are you writing about a Catholic protagonist unless you know something about the Church? I'm Catholic and I'd never write from a Lutheran point of view. Too many credibility issues.

However, nuns and sisters are interchangeable terms. There are nuns who belong to a specific order (e.g., Carmelite) who live in a convent and are limited by the provisions of their order. Some devote their lives to prayer and never go outside the walls of the convent. Others, for instance those who belong to the order of Sisters of St. Joseph, usually teach or help out with social welfare situations and may live in apartments, etc., as well as in a community setting.

By the by, there's lots more to Catholic baptism beyond the artifact of a certificate. Catholics will spot your ignorance if you don't research all this further.

I write murder mysteries--I am by no means a murderer.

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
eloisemay said:
To Roach:

Must be hard for you to write fiction when all your characters have to be exactly like you.

M.A.Gardener

Registered
Reaction score
I'm also writing a novel with a character who is Catholic. I have a number of questions. If anyone would care to answer them, let me know and I'll PM you. The other thing is: I want to go to a mass, but I'm not even sure how to walk into the church. Do I have to do something (like I see on TV...) I'm so embarassed! :eek:
-Mary

Dario D.

Just walk in, and do what everyone else does. Nothing to worry about. But when it's time to go up for Communion, by all means, STAY in your seat! ;) Rememeber that.

AnnieColleen

Invisible Writer
Registered
Reaction score
I'm also writing a novel with a character who is Catholic. I have a number of questions. If anyone would care to answer them, let me know and I'll PM you. The other thing is: I want to go to a mass, but I'm not even sure how to walk into the church. Do I have to do something (like I see on TV...) I'm so embarassed! :eek:
-Mary

I'll answer questions if I can, or beta-read if you want, when you get to that point.

I've read that there are two different types of nuns: nuns and religious sisters. Although both are supposed to be refered to as nuns by the laity there are technical differences, one being that nuns reside in a convent while religious sisters reside in an institution. Do you or anyone know about this, and are convents just convents, no matter what the technical differences, to the general population?

My protagonist has a sister who belongs to the religious sister category and I'm just wondering if I can get away with calling her residence a convent since she can be called a nun without the distinction.

I think the term you want here may be cloistered, or possibly contemplative vs. active. (As was said before, there isn't a difference between nuns and sisters; the terms are interchangeable.) Cloistered = living an enclosed life, not going out into the world (except for a few sisters, called externs, who handle necessary interactions for the community). Contemplative = a life focused primarily on prayer; active = a life focused on external service (e.g., teaching, missionary work, helping the poor, etc.) -- which of course is still supported by prayer.

Try http://www.newadvent.org/cathen (very dense information) or www.ewtn.org (Catholic TV/radio network; links to a lot of resources & good for one view of modern Catholic culture). Some of EWTN's shows might be helpful too, depending on what period you're looking at (e.g., they re-run Bishop Fulton Sheen's TV program "Life Is Worth Living", from the early days of television). They also broadcast their daily Mass a couple of times a day.

Last edited:

Landwing

Registered
Reaction score
Yet another Catholic on tap.

Roach: don't know if you got any other answers about certificates, but certificates are also given for the Sacraments of Holy Communion and Confirmation. I don't know if this is the norm, but my parish handed out certificates for the reception of First Confession, as well. The parish office would also keep a record of the Sacraments being received, and if a parishoner moves then copies of the records are sent to the new parish. Hope that helps some!

M.A. Gardner: don't be embarrassed! The Good Lord knows we're all human and will be more than happy just to see you there! Ask anything you'd like to ask, and those of us who can help will do our best to answer/help you find answers.

All the best to both of you!

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
Doing research on Catholicism is important because it's not exactly an obscure group. That fact also makes the research easier - there's lots of us around to answer questions.

Oh - nuns and sisters are essentially the same. As far as I know, all nuns are addressed as "Sister."

Same is not true for priests and brothers. Different status and titles. Father vs Brother (Jesuit order has both).

AnnieColleen

Invisible Writer
Registered
Reaction score
The reason I'm researching this is that I'd like to have her keep certain items in her Bible. My first thought was the certificate of baptism, but now I'm not sure she would even have one. Since this is an alternate history/fantasy story I could probably just make something up. I'd rather know how far afield I'm going though.

People have answered re the certificate, but I don't think anyone's addressed the other point... I've never heard of anyone keeping a certificate of baptism in a Bible. Not to say it couldn't happen, if she had a particular reason for it, it just sounds unusual. Is she a convert? If she converted & was baptised at an older age that might make it more likely.

Prayer cards or holy cards (little paper cards w/ a picture on one side and a prayer, Scripture, or meditation on the back) would be pretty common, or maybe a letter that's special to her (from a loved one or spiritual advisor).

(My Bible has pressed bluebonnets in it, but I know that's unusual! :tongue)

(I'm working on an alternate history, too :) -- I'd probably avoid making changes unless they're directly related to the alternate history change. I.e., if the source of a particular practice or devotion is eliminated by the different history, then the practice can change, but not just because the author feels like changing it, if that makes sense. But I try to apply that to all areas, not just religion.)

Ask all the questions you need to! The only way I'd have a problem with a fictional portrayal of a Catholic would be if it was biased or unabashedly ignorant, and it looks like you're trying to avoid that, which speaks well of you. :)

Rabe

the living dead
Registered
Reaction score
Just walk in, and do what everyone else does. Nothing to worry about. But when it's time to go up for Communion, by all means, STAY in your seat! ;) Rememeber that.

I disagree with this last part.

I am not Catholic but am friends with Catholics (they are my 'adopted' nephews/nieces and their parents, one of whom is also my boss - also I am fortunate enough to be friends with a Catholic chaplain of detention ministry and her husband who is the local Deacon).

I have gone to several masses, including Ash Wednesday, Christmas Mass, Easter Mass and just a few regular masses...as well as going to my friends's baptism when his wife converted and he reaffirmed his faith.

I have - in the past - stayed in my seat when they call for communion and blessing and that created more of a problem with the other parishioners. I've never asked about it but it seemed to me that the took this as something of an insult to their community and fellowship. The worst were the looks from the young children who were trying to figure out what was going on and why I was staying in the pew.

If you go to a mass and when they call for communion, it's also for a blessing, not just for communion. At least in the parish where I've gone, they have a simple sign of placing your finger across your lips (similiar to the 'be quiet' sign) that tells the priest you are not accepting the sacrament for whatever reason. You are still given a blessing though.

If you want to go to a mass then by all means go! I've found every mass that I've gone to the people are friendly and accepting - even when they find out I'm *not* Catholic. Maybe even more so then because they see opportunity before them! If you feel uncomfortable in the pews, see if there is a balcony or some other area for newcomers or the curious. I do warn you, there is a lot of interaction at Catholic masses!

I also wanted to write a story that revolved around a character who is a lapsed Catholic. My deacon and chaplain friend told me that the church's Rite of Christian Initiation for Adults is open to *anyone* interested in the Catholic faith with 'no obligation' to convert or be baptized Catholic. From what I gather, these are like the 'catechism' classes kids go to. Check out with a local Catholic Church if this is the case in your area. Should help you learn a lot about the Catholic faith.

Rabe...
...whose friends have taught him some very different views of the Catholic faith...

electric.avenue

Registered
Reaction score
I was raised as a Roman Catholic in the UK. I have a certificate for First Holy Communion, but not for baptism, first confession, or confirmation.

As far as I know, there are not different categories of nuns, except within an order there will be different ranks according to whether you have taken yr final vows or not. I went to a Catholic convent school and remember witnessing our English teacher take her final vows.

Going to mass: might be best to get a Catholic friend to take you. Don't get up for communion. You might like to make the sign of the cross with holy water on your way in and out.

PM me with further q's if you wish.

Good Luck!

johnnysannie

Banned
Reaction score
Website
leeannsontheimermurphywriterauthor.blogspot.com
I'm a life long or cradle Catholic. As others have answered, yes, there are certificates for baptism. Baptisms are also recorded in the parish where the sacrament is performed so years later, should one need or want to verify it or get a copy, it can be done.

I have not seen certificates for First Communion.....Holy Communion is the focal point of each Mass (Or Celebration of the Eucharist in more modern terms) so there would not be a certificate each time.

It's not customary for non-Catholics to partake during Communion but they can be blessed. The procedure for this must vary from parish to parish - in ours, those wishing to be blessed put their arms across their chest. Also, lapsed Catholics - if they are devout - often don't feel they should take Communion; same for anyone who may feel they're in serious sin.

The Catholic faith is complex at times; a book that might help with some points is "Catholicism For Dummies" - yep, one of that series. An older woman in our parish came back to the faith of her childhood after fifty years out and got the book to refresh her memory. She's brought it to our parish discussions and it has a lot of information.

As for nuns and sisters, although there is no real differentation, Sisters normally hold a job outside the convent, a teaching Sister in parochial school, a nursing Sister in a Catholic hospital, etc.

I would not keep my certificate of Baptism in a Bible but I do keep prayer cards, pressed flowers from loved ones' funerals or from my wedding bouquet, clippings, and such items. Keep in mind that for the most part Catholics don't carry a Bible to church as do many Protestants but use a missel, a book with the Order of The Mass and prayers of the mass, during the service. There are Scripture readings; some missels include these, some don't.

If you have other specific questions, feel free to PM me and I'll do my best.

Status
Not open for further replies.