Not open for further replies.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The image hosting site I've used for a long time is no longer free. It will continue to host existing images, but you have to have a paid membership to add new images. Since I don't store my image collection there, just put up a few as needed for forums, that's not going to happen.

I know there are a number of sites which exist to host user images. Can you recommend favorites which are free? What do you like about it? Is the user interface easy even for lower tech people like me?

Obviously I need to pick one, but there are too many choices.

Maryn, who was all set to link a picture of a pizza, but no-o-o

Deleted member 42

Flickr is lovely, and so is Photobucket. I'd open a free account on each and see what works best for you. You might end up using both—Photobucket makes it especially easy to link to an image, but Flickr is better suited to things like sharing with family, or organizing and labeling images.

Flickr is owned by Yahoo, and uses a Yahoo ID.

Wilde_at_heart

υπείκωphobe
Registered
Reaction score
I like tinypic. You have the choice of whether or not to log in, and there are several options for automatic re-sizing as well.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have both Flickr and Photobucket, but I generally only use Flickr now.

Either one can be frustrating at times, although better now than they once were.

BradCarsten

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I use Imageshack It's easy to use and has a really nice user interface

Edit- though it would seem that this may be the one you were talking about as I see I now have 16 days left of my trial account :rant:

Last edited:

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Good call. My free trial expired before I knew it existed.

It hadn't occurred to me to use more than one. As in, duh. I get that a lot! Thanks for the suggestions.

Maryn, among the duller Crayolas

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
I use Photobucket. I also have an account at Shutterfly, but don't use it.

I should use Photobucket more. Instead of just posting photos to FB. Or leaving them on my laptop, where no one ever sees them.

Medievalist said:
but Flickr is better suited to things like sharing with family, or organizing and labeling images.

Is there an option to setting Flickr to "friends and family" and not "everyone in the whole world" - I see a lot of images credited to Flickr on various places, so I think some people maybe don't know their images are being used for other stuff? Or maybe they do know, and don't care.

Last edited:

Deleted member 42

Is there an option to setting Flickr to "friends and family" and not "everyone in the whole world" - I see a lot of images credited to Flickr on various places, so I think some people maybe don't know their images are being used for other stuff? Or maybe they do know, and don't care.

You have pretty fine grained privacy controls on Flickr, with respect to image you upload.

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
I'm not a big user of images, but I'm a bit surprised that no one's mentioned DeviantArt. It seems to be used mostly by commercial artists, but offers free signup.

I don't know about privacy there, since it caters to sharing.

Status
Not open for further replies.