"Old" People Writing for Teens V

casualrungal

Registered
Reaction score
Hey everyone! It's been a hot minute since I posted here (as in, more than 2 years). It's great to see so many familiar usernames! I didn't take a step back from writing, but I guess I took a step back from these forums, and now I'm really craving the community here again.

Anyway, just wanted to pop in and say hi, and that I'm looking forward to getting back into this community!

RaggyCat

Registered
Reaction score
The 80s is cool? Maybe someone should tell the publishers! I was told last year that it was considered too recent to count as a historical period, and teens "didn't like" books being set so recently unless they had a "historical focus"... yeah, go figure. (Concerns were expressed that my late 80s book wasn't relevant to teens today)

Bookgirl2021

"If I had a heart, I'd give it to you."
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for all the support. :e2grouphu I finally had a breakdown in a major way a couple of weeks ago, and now I seem to be slowly gathering the pieces to try and put everything back together. I'm on what is essentially (unpaid) medical leave from work while I do that, and applying to some other places. Hopefully one of them works out and it's a better fit. I also finally managed to get a little more editing done, which felt great. I probably should push myself harder with that, because I feel so much better when I'm writing.

SoCalWriter

Registered
Reaction score
Hey Everyone! Long time no talk! I used to be here all the time, but I went through a very deep, dark depression and had a really hard time coming out of it, and I stopped writing. I am finally, just now, getting back to my writing and I'm missing my writing community, so here I am! I'm back! I'm gearing up for Nano and plotting and outlining in the hopes to really hit the ground running on November 1st.

casualrungal

Registered
Reaction score
Hey SoCal! I remember you from when I used to be a more frequent poster/visitor to this forum, too! I'm sorry to hear you went through a rough time, but very glad that it sounds like you're coming out on the other side, and coming back to writing. And just in time for Nano! I'd be curious to hear more about this project you're plotting and outlining, when you're ready.

BookGirl: I get that feeling of "oh, I should probably work harder/push myself," but sometimes (and you probably already know this), it's even more important to give yourself a break. I how tricky it is, though, because I don't feel like myself when I'm not writing, either.

Not to jump on the rough times bandwagon, but I'm in a frustrating in-between phase myself. I graduated from nursing school this spring, passed my boards in July, and since then...crickets. I'd heard the search for that first RN job can take a while, but I guess I was still harboring some secret optimism. A lot of it is out of my control (which I tell myself but don't really believe). I happen to live in an extremely crowded city and the hospital affiliated with my university has had a hiring freeze since June. I've been in touch with a recruiter there and it sounds like that freeze might just now be lifting. In the mean time, I haven't got any bites on any of my other applications. Most of my friends and acquaintances from school are in the same boat as me, and it's really, really frustrating for all of us. I'm going to hold out until December, then start looking beyond the city....

In the mean time, I've been doing a lot of crappy temp work that barely pay the bills. I'm very fortunate to have a safety net, even though I really don't like to fall back on it. I got this 2nd degree in part because nursing seemed like such a stable profession! And it is, I suppose, after you find that first job--or so everyone tells me!

/rant. I've been channeling all my anxiety and stress into revising my manuscript, so I guess that's a silver lining, at least?

CoffeeBeans

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome back all the returning folks! I'm happy that you're all doing better and coming back to us. Also, if a rough patch can be used to make an MS better, that's a silver lining for sure. On the other hand, taking some time to deal with your life is a very good thing too. So, good on everyone for taking care of themselves, whatever that is. :e2grouphu

I just got home from vacation and now I'm diving into nano-prep for my region. Is anyone else joining up this year?

Last edited:

Bookgirl2021

"If I had a heart, I'd give it to you."
Registered
Reaction score
I just got home from vacation and now I'm diving into nano-prep for my region. Is anyone else joining up this year?

I'm thinking about it, if I manage to finish revisions by the end of the month. I've had a lot of projects/ideas on the back burner for ages, because I always get sucked back into this project. I'd love to do one of them for Nano.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
Gawd, I don't mean to be a crepe hanger, but I've been critically ill and missed years of AW, and this thread. I'm fighting for my life, and I'll be damned if I'm going to go easy into that good night. Pain, suffering, depression, suicide, you name it. I'm just now breaking out of that dark hell and trying to get back to something that is semi-norm. I did, to my shock, sell three books in four months. Two of them are the first in a YA paranormal trilogy. So, I guess work and getting back into what I love, has (for now) lifted my spirits up a notch. I have to take it one day at a time and remember how it used to be. Missy Higgins, Set me on Fire has helped me to face those demons. Anne Rice wrote a letter which helped to snap me out of it. For those of you depressed: dig deep for the strength and find that faith in yourself again. What better way than to write for teens and revisit the age of wonder and discovery.

JKRowley

Registered
Reaction score
Thinking about those of you who are struggling, and inspired to see you stepping out of the darkness. Keep going. I am glad to see you again.

Triceratops, congratulations on the book sales.

Casualrungal...but, but, but....they tell us that there is a shortage of nurses? I'm sorry the job hunt has been hard. It was hard for me coming out of college 20 years ago. Turns out it took me many more years to find out what I like to do.

Socalwriter, good to see you again! And you are right on top of things getting ready for NaNo. I am still on the fence.

Bookgirl, sad to hear you are on an unpaid medical leave, but hooray for more editing time. Do what you can and don't beat yourself up. Thinking about it counts, right? (My best ideas come during time I am not writing/editing).

Raggycat, I know, right? I was told the same about the 80s. The kids tell me otherwise.

My Book Festival presentation is over. Life can return to normal now. Except I am raising teens, and nothing is normal. (How did my parents survive these years?)

casualrungal

Registered
Reaction score
Triceratops--I'm sorry to hear it's been such a rough few years! Three books sold in four months is incredible, especially in light of what you've been going through. I hope you continue to feel better. I like what you mentioned about taking things one day at a time (ALWAYS good advice), and revisiting the age of wonder & discovery through books about teens. I've never thought about it that way!

JKRowley--how'd the presentation go??

After 2 weeks of working my tail off on revisions (based on my CP's notes), I'm slowing it down and giving the manuscript a little break. I'm worried about losing the momentum, but I also felt like I was starting to face a wall, and that usually means that I need to step away a bit. There are some thorny plot issues I need to work out before I feel like I can forge ahead! In the mean time, I'm looking forward to diving into my TBR pile! I could especially use some good world-building inspiration right now...

CoffeeBeans

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome back Tri. Congrats on the good news and I'm glad you're still with us :Hug2:

Seconded JK - details!

Casualrungal, I feel you. I finally finished a draft I'd been chewing on for months. So many of those barely chipping away. I want to call it laziness, but I think it was really just needing to put a lot of energy into other things. I sometimes forget that it's a finite pool...

I've got a fun weekend planned this weekend as Nano-prep. My co-ML and I are planning a weekend away at a hotel spa (thanks groupon!). The goal is for both of us to end up with draft outlines for November. I'm feeling pretty confident, but she is a bit anti-planning/anti-BIC, so I am more of an accountability buddy for the trip. The hotel is dog friendly, so I see a lot of long walks and talking about imaginary things. I'm really excited.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I feel my complaints are nothing compared to Tri's, but I complain anyway.

I got very excited about my trilogy, which was supposed to get covers this week that I had already paid for, and I was working hard on the blurbs for those covers and editing the books one last time, until September hit and I got depressed about work and had to deal with work stuff in all my free time. Then the rest of my September I was busy every single weekend, so I didn't get much time to work more on the trilogy at all, but at some point I got very excited about a co-op publishing group and applied and was accepted.

Well, the co-op fell through for me because my 3rd book doesn't meet their criteria. I got a little depressed about that, but still had my covers to look forward to.

Last week I was in PayPal to pay a bill (that I usually pay a few months up at once so I hadn't been in for a while), and the last transactions says that I had a refund from the cover artist back in August. Then I check my bank account and see nothing and also my PayPal balance is $0, and I had never heard anything from the cover artist cancelling the sale. So I check my bill-and-junk e-mail, which is what PayPal is connected to, just in case she sent me an e-mail about the situation to that e-mail instead of my author e-mail. Nope, but what I do have is an e-mail from PayPal saying that when they tried to process the refund, her bank declined it. So I got screwed out of that money, and since June I've been expecting to get covers this month, and it's not happening. So between the two things, I'm really over the self-publishing process at the moment, which is fine since I don't have time to deal with it anyway. Even my NaNo's a joke this year because I have no writing inspiration.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
One way or another, I'm out the money and the covers, it seems.

Her website has disappeared, but her Facebook is still there, and her twitter account is liking YouTube videos as recently as Oct 10.

She was having health problems when I made my order. Her personal assistant made it sound like they were temporary, but her reason for the sale she was having (which was amazing, btw) was to get a quick burst of work to pay bills. I hope that those health problems didn't get worse, but since it was her PA who communicated with me the entire time, there really should have been some communication, if whoever is in charge was doing right by the customer, especially since it's been 2 months since the cancellation and I sent an e-mail asking for clarification a week ago to the same one I used to talk to the manager.

But, yeah, it seems I got screwed over. I now have my suspicions about the original info about the sale, and wonder if "I won't get to yours for four months" is a clever way to hide the cancellation and non-refund 2 months after the order and two months before the author would expect activity from what they paid.

I don't blame the person who rec'd her to me, since they had no reason to believe that I wouldn't have the same good experience, but, sigh, half of the reason I asked for recs was to avoid situations like this. Since her sale was basically 3 covers for the cost of what 1 usually is, I'm sure going to be hesitant to lay down the investment for 3 new covers from anyone else after getting screwed here, you know?

casualrungal

Registered
Reaction score
Wow, Sage, that sounds absolutely horrible! I'm sorry you went through that. I would be very disillusioned, too. Whatever that illustrator is going through doesn't justify her outright scamming you! You are 100% justified to feel angry, frustrated, etc. I hope your writing inspiration returns soon, though.

Netz

Freshly caught writing bug lives!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The view from my stained glass window suggests by
Sage, have you considered publicly contacting her (via Facebook and Twitter) about this, or do you think she'll just block you? It might help to let others know what's gone on so they don't get taken in. Once again, I'm really sorry about this situation for you. :Hug2:

JKRowley

Registered
Reaction score
Sage, that sucks. No money and no covers:(

My presentation at the book festival went pretty well. I was worried I'd talk too fast, and I did. I went through 46 slides in 30 minutes. The presentation was supposed to be an hour. :Shrug: Lucky for me, people had questions and the audience was filled with amazing people who turned out to have great conversations with me and each other. Several of them came to me after and said they learned a lot. OK, they were my sister and my coworker, but still....praise.

JKRowley

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, and a week before the book festival, my publisher decided not to renew the contract on my first book. Nice timing. The super special thing was I asked them about this in the spring, because I knew that contract was coming up and I wanted to know if the book would be available for sale during the book festival. At that time, they assured me it would be.

I still need to update all my social media accounts since the book is no longer in print. Sucks.

CoffeeBeans

Registered
Reaction score
That's super disappointing Sage. Hopefully whatever she's facing will sort out and you'll get your money back eventually? Life happens, but it's really terrible that she couldn't manage a refund or any good communications over the issues.

Also JK, what a mess. Like Sage, with good communication the news would still suck but without any that's just frustrating.

I'm doing pre-nano events with my region and had a pretty unusual one last week (a writer called the event, messaged a bunch of people she was holding it, and then invited me?) but I also met my local SCBWI chapter (who were meeting at the same place, same time, apparently by "coincidence") Turns out they were lovely, and I might join. I'm not a very network-y type of person. Anyone have any thoughts?

SoCalWriter

Registered
Reaction score
I'm preparing for Nano this year. I plan on rewriting a book I wrote for Nano back in 2016. I've gone through the old, which was about 35k, to make notes of all the changes, which is almost the entire thing, but I'm feeling excited about it. I got a Nano workbook from someone in the authortube community, so I'm hoping that will help me stay on track with my new ideas.

I'm also not good at networking in person, but networking with people via my YouTube channel for my Weight Loss has really helped me a lot, so I'm going to start doing weekly writing videos as well. I'm surprised at how supportive and interactive YouTube is in the writing community! Does anyone else in here do writing videos or watch any authors or aspiring writers on YouTube? I'd love some new people to follow!

KiwiLady

Registered
Reaction score
It's great to see so many old faces back in here...not that I can talk. I've been more of a lurker than a contributor lately.

I'm not a networker, in fact, I actively avoid it. I am very jealous of those who enjoying doing it. I probably wouldn't even go to a Nano thing (if there was anything in my area) so you're ages ahead if me Coffeebeans.

I don't YouTube - either watching or making videos (is that even what you call it?). Think it might be an age thing and I'm waaaay too old. My oldest two kids watch a lot though.

Looking forward to a day of editing tomorrow. I'm hoping to get my edits finished in the next couple of weeks, sort my query and start querying.

ajaye

partial to a gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
Sage, can't you still lodge a dispute with PayPal for non supply? I thought that's how the whole 'buyer protection' thing works*, to protect you from just this sort of thing. I got a refund (easily and smoothly) from Paypal for non supply of goods a couple of years ago. Unless things have changed, or it's different where you are, or there's some sort of time limit?

ETA *as in, Paypal refunds you even if the seller doesn't refund them

Last edited: