"Old" People Writing for Teens V

CoffeeBeans

Registered
Reaction score
I'm glad they arrived Netz! Are they on your desk to make sure you do your writing? (My desk is half-buried under MS pages and half-covered with toys)

I am not doing great on my revisions. Turns out all my beta notes had been applied (some of them were yours, Netz!) so I'm on my own to make improvements and it is a struggle.

Netz

Freshly caught writing bug lives!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The view from my stained glass window suggests by
I don't have the luxury of a desk at home :)cry:) so they're lined up in front of the TV in my bedroom. Inigo Montoya glowers at me if I'm tempted to watch a programme instead of working on my ms. Buttercup and Westley are too loved-up to notice what I'm doing. :greenie

Were the beta notes for Tripwires? Has it changed a lot since I read it? Hope you get inspired soon with improvements for it!

CoffeeBeans

Registered
Reaction score
My current desk is the first time I've had a desk since I was a kid, and I love it. Between art things and writing things, it's so nice to have a spot where I can leave things when I walk away and come back to all of it where it should be.

Were the beta notes for Tripwires? Has it changed a lot since I read it? Hope you get inspired soon with improvements for it!

It is! There was some confusion in in my revisions. (I am the worst) I had two sets of notes and I combined them in work before the month started to edit everything for Camp Nano. Turns out, both notes were on different drafts (and alpha and your 1.5) and then it also turned out all your notes were applied to the 1.5. All of this means I'm revising a 2nd draft with no guidance - aside from one note I left suggesting I add a scene. I included basically one sentence of what should go in that scene - no what/why/how - though now I've thought about it, past Me was pretty clever but should have made better notes.

This has not been the most productive month...

Bookgirl2021

"If I had a heart, I'd give it to you."
Registered
Reaction score
I've been stuck in my revisions for like two months, but I finally finished the bit that had me stuck! It's nice to be making progress again.

CoffeeBeans

Registered
Reaction score
That's awesome to hear, Bookgirl! Getting unstuck is awesome!

I've got a scene I need to add to my MS just looming in front of me. I need to write it before I move forward because I know it will change at least one following scene. Therefore, I'm spending all my energy revising the scenes before the one I need to write. That's totally how edits work, right?

Bookgirl2021

Registered
Reaction score
Sounds about right to me. I'm having difficulties with one of my POV characters and decided instead of feeling frustrated and stuck every time I try to work on his chapters, I'll just go back and do them after I've finished everything else. Also totally how edits work. :e2writer:

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Woo, I feel finished with the final edits of Hero/Villain. I'm going to call it done, unless somebody who has already read the full trilogy wants to do a quick and dirty read through to make sure I didn't miss any of the book 3 plot twist set-up in book 1 (only because I was serious shook when I found that plot hole, guys).

I'm going to do some reading on the steps to take next. I know that my cover artist needs to know how big the book will be for the print versions, so formatting will have to happen for that before she makes the covers. I'm also working on the back cover copy, because the covers will need to have that too.

I'm also debating on whether I should wait a little more to release them after I get the covers, so I can do a little promotion (Netgalley, maybe send to book bloggers...if I get brave enough ;) )

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I had the house to myself the last five days, but I feel like I wasted it because I spent a lot of time not sitting in my favorite places to work on book stuff because I was a) trying to stay cool and b) trying not to aggravate my neck/shoulder strain. Like right now, I'm at the living room table instead of on the couch because this is the coolest room in the house and because every time I sit on the couch, my neck starts hurting again. But I want to put my feet up and snuggle with Jasper *pouts*

CoffeeBeans

Registered
Reaction score
Best writing spots are important! I totally agree, Sage. I forget how much I love sitting at my real desk until I remember that I have to actually have good posture (instead of writing in my arm chair). Since the desk is right by the window, it's way too cold all winter, but even after the weather has warmed up, I forget to return to the desk.

All this, and I don't even have a cat to snuggle! My dog and laptop are not a great mix. He does not appreciate when hands are too busy to pet him.

My edits are moving along much more reasonably than they were before (I switched projects) but I'm still kicking myself for editing instead of writing something new. On the other hand, how many more new/unrevised projects could I really have piling up?

Weird question - does anyone else do edits on paper, and if so, how do you keep all the paper under control?

Last edited:

Bookgirl2021

Registered
Reaction score
Weird question - does anyone else do edits on paper, and if so, how do you keep all the paper under control?

I have for the first time in a long time with this round of revisions. I wasn't making any progress trying to do it all on the computer. I needed to actually be able to see it and cross things out and write stuff in. I even did some literal cutting and pasting. It made it *so* much easier to see what needed to be done. And I could flip through and move things around if I needed, and lots and lots of sticky notes. :D I keep it (mostly) under control by keeping everything in a 3" (I think. It may only be 2 1/2") binder. I have my printed pages in front, and lined paper in back that I can use as I need to. Any pages with random comments or thoughts I'm not sure what to do about I put in the front pocket.

SandyH

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I used to do on paper but now do all the editing on computer. Coming back to the heading, adults writing for teens is normal because every adult was teen at one time.....

Netz

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I was going to welcome Sandy to the thread, but I see she's been banned. :Shrug:

My inner environmentalist - 'Save the trees!' - won't let me do anything other than edit on the computer, and my inner cheapskate wants me to save myself the printing costs anyway. Lol! Plus I don't have the room to spread out with loads of paper and notes everywhere, so I can't really answer your question, CoffeeBeans. Out of interest, how many new/unrevised projects do you have piling up?

I may be deluded, but I think my current WIP is really special. I haven't felt this way about my other mss. Anyone else have that feeling about theirs? I'm a little bit more than halfway through my revisions/edits now, and I'm loving what I've done with it so far. I really hope this is going to be 'the one'. :) I crack myself up with some of the lines I've written - still having so much fun with it. :greenie

Robots

In the future where will I be ?
Registered
Reaction score
I may be deluded, but I think my current WIP is really special. I haven't felt this way about my other mss. Anyone else have that feeling about theirs? I'm a little bit more than halfway through my revisions/edits now, and I'm loving what I've done with it so far. I really hope this is going to be 'the one'. :) I crack myself up with some of the lines I've written - still having so much fun with it. :greenie

I feel this way as well, but just like you I'm not sure if I'm deluding myself :D The story I put down as a novel over the past almost two years and am querying now absolutely feels like "the one". To me, it is the story that always needed to be told. But of course there's no telling if it will capture anyone else's heart as well (judging by the number of rejections I got, probably not as much as I had wished). Do you also struggle with the loss of distance and judgment you can get after getting too invested in something ? I'm worried about not being able to judge it properly anymore, and viewing it too differently from the way an impartial reader would view it.
Nevertheless, I still believe in the story and that it is something special. I have to, because if i believed that it wasn't something special, I wouldn't want to publish it. You know what I mean ?

CoffeeBeans

Registered
Reaction score
Out of interest, how many new/unrevised projects do you have piling up?

Umm... three? Four? That's a guess because I haven't gone digging through LOL. I skipped writing anything new for two turns in order to revise and beta, so I'm trying to cut into the backlog? I have three other ideas in plotting stages ready to go. In retrospect, I probably should have made myself (comparatively) happy and written/plotted instead of editing for the last camp month, but I didn't because I'm dumb.

As for paper-wasting, I do only print my own stuff, so that's a little less tree-killer.

That's a great feeling for both of you - Netz and Jonny! I hope you're both right about them!

I've particularly enjoyed working on some MS and gotten positive "this one is special!" feedback on some MS, but those have never been the *same* MS, which has always been amusing but frustrating. Such is life, right?

Last edited:

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
Team! I have no work and I'm bored. Send your adult or YA fantasy projects to me. I may start robbing banks if I don't have books to work on.

Netz

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
*Tackle hugs Parametric* :greenie

PARAMETRIC! Long time no see in this thread. Howdy! :D I could be tempted by your offer, but I'm still working on my WIP. We really must arrange another meeting sometime. Are you still working from home?

CoffeeBeans

Registered
Reaction score
PARA! *Tackles and refuses to let go!*

So happy to see you back! How are things???

Want a really messy spec fic that I think ticks a few of your reader-boxes? I've got a project in 2nd draft I just chucked against a wall... :2angel:

Also, nothing to do, you could always give me a sequel to your MS I'm still not over!

Last edited:

JKRowley

Registered
Reaction score
Parametric! Good to see you. What's up?

Sage....so are you self-publishing Hero/Villain? If that is the case, you call the shots.

Coffeebeans, the grass is always greener. Editing and polishing gives you something to submit. Unlike me. I have been working on new projects for the last couple years, and nothing to submit.

Netz, I feel that way about every project at one time or another. What is a better signal to me is when my critique group agrees.

My life, in a nutshell:

Working on a MG project now. Felt like a slog the last few months, then I put it aside to work on something else. When I went back, realized what I did in those dark months is actually pretty brilliant. My critique group agrees (and they haven't seen the best of it yet). Should be working on that now, but...things.

I am presenting at my local book festival in October. Freaking out a bit. Working on that presentation is very distracting.

Then I agree to do other stuff, like translate a Q&A thing into a readable article for a newsletter for my local Master Gardener organization.

I need to cut out these distractions and work on my novels. Will get there. Nothing like a busy girl to get things done.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
I've been tackled! Hi everybody. I'd like to say I've been busy writing, but actually I've been having a tough time with my mental health. I guess the writing days will come back in time.

Coffee, send the book and I'll see what I can do.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
*hugs* Parametric. Good to see you back around!

:welcome: Robots!

I print out my novel when I get to a certain editing point. I have a lot easier dealing with the sentence- and paragraph-level stuff once it's printed out. Big changes will need to happen in Scrivener, but anything I can change by crossing out and adding or changing words, sentences, or paragraphs will be on the paper stage. I have written huge sections in the margins (ha ha, the reveal in M/P was a page full of stuff in the margins that crossed into the next few pages), too, but I have to be really motivated right at that stage to make that happen. I usually do two passes in the paper stage, with different colored pens so I can track versions.

JKR, I have found that slogging through a novel versus flying through it doesn't necessarily tell me how good my writing is. I'm so glad that when you went back, you ended up loving it.

And, yes, I'm self-publishing H/V, and I know that in the end that means I call the shots, but I'd like to have an estimated timeframe for what I need to do for the best results. I could just put it out the second I have covers (I have book 1 formatted for Kindle already), but I could also take a little time to get reviews beforehand. It's my first time, so I have no experience to rely on. I also have to ask for permission for a song use (I think I'll get it and cheaply) in M/P, but it requires knowing the publication date and length of published book and distribution, so those are things I need to know beforehand and give the license owner time to get back to me.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I'm really proud of myself because I managed to write a back cover blurb for Super/Human that doesn't spoil the twist in Hero/Villain. But I just can't see anyway of getting around it for Master/Puppet. I can't figure out any way that the Big Bad's threat makes sense without spoiling both book 1 & book 2 (the BB's existence is the spoiler for book 2, so...).