"Old" People Writing for Teens V

Status
Not open for further replies.

JFitchett92

Registered
Reaction score
JFitchett, hiding under the blanket doesn't help you one bit. What you need to do is head to QLH, and critique every active QL. You cannot write a half-decent QL without critiquing lots of them.

Yes, you may be a newbie in writing QL, but every newbie can still contribute to other's works and in the process learn more than from a £200 writing conference.

Thanks Bing. While I haven't actually posted any critique yet, I did read through a lot of threads and comments before writing mine. I do plan on contributing when I have a bit more time to be more thorough.

Sage! Hi. Where are you heading? Anywhere down south?

Netz

Freshly caught writing bug lives!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The view from my stained glass window suggests by
Count me in as another one who wants to know where in the UK Sage is heading! :greenie (Congrats on getting the promotion, btw!)

I haven't been very productive in my writing so far this year, hence not posting much in this thread. I really want to get back into the swing of things, but I've had a headache for over two weeks now and I've been staying away from my laptop in the evenings in the hope the break from the screen will help. In my entire life, I could probably count on two hands the number of headaches I've ever had, so it's been rather disconcerting to say the least! (The doc has ruled out anything serious and has me on anti-inflammatory tablets - hope they do something soon!!)

ION, I had a partial request this evening - my first for this ms. After all the rejections I've racked up, I'm very pleased a top agent at a top agency has recognised my AWESOME TALENT (lol). :greenie

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Ooh, I'm jealous. I've wanted to go back literally since I got on the plane to come home, and that was in 1999. Whereabouts are you headed?

Sage! Hi. Where are you heading? Anywhere down south?

Count me in as another one who wants to know where in the UK Sage is heading! :greenie (Congrats on getting the promotion, btw!)

Thanks!

I'm going to be in London for 9 days (with a day trip to Bath and Stonehenge) with a writer friend, and then take a train to Edinburgh for a few days to visit a college friend.

JFitchett92

Registered
Reaction score
Enjoy London! It's a bit crowded for my liking but I love visiting every now and then.

Netz, hope you feel better soon. I get headaches really frequently so I feel your pain.

edutton

Ni. Peng. Neee-Wom.
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks!

I'm going to be in London for 9 days (with a day trip to Bath and Stonehenge) with a writer friend, and then take a train to Edinburgh for a few days to visit a college friend.

Bath: I remember an excellent vegetarian restaurant round the corner from the Abbey... but of course that was 19 years ago. :cry: (I just checked and I think it's still there!) You'll probably want to "take the waters", because Bath, but don't expect to enjoy it. :Ssh: The Assembly Rooms are worth a visit, if you've ever read a Regency romance in your life... my wife and I danced there, and it's still one of our fondest memories. (There was also a good bookshop just down the hill from there, IIRC)

Charing Cross Road, of the many, many bookshops, is an easy walk from the British Museum.:Sun:

Bookgirl2021

"If I had a heart, I'd give it to you."
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't been very productive in my writing so far this year, hence not posting much in this thread. I really want to get back into the swing of things, but I've had a headache for over two weeks now and I've been staying away from my laptop in the evenings in the hope the break from the screen will help. In my entire life, I could probably count on two hands the number of headaches I've ever had, so it's been rather disconcerting to say the least! (The doc has ruled out anything serious and has me on anti-inflammatory tablets - hope they do something soon!!)

Ugh. As a sufferer of a chronic headache, I am so sorry. Headaches are among the worst types of pain--especially if you're trying to work on anything. I'm glad serious stuff has been ruled out. When a headache lasts for a while, it could be something as simple as dehydration or tension, or as complicated (but not really) as increased pressure on the brain from something like too much spinal fluid.

ION, I had a partial request this evening - my first for this ms. After all the rejections I've racked up, I'm very pleased a top agent at a top agency has recognised my AWESOME TALENT (lol). :greenie

Congrats!

JFitchett92

Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So QLH really isn't that bad :) thanks guys for letting me know I was being a bit of a baby before.

Although there was a comment that kinda threw me off. My story is inspired by a lot of YA novels, but my characters are all in their 20s so the story itself technically isn't YA. This isn't news to me, but someone brought this up and I read it as a negative comment. Just because the characters are older doesn't necessarily mean a YA audience wouldn't enjoy it, right?

edutton

Ni. Peng. Neee-Wom.
Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So QLH really isn't that bad :) thanks guys for letting me know I was being a bit of a baby before.

Although there was a comment that kinda threw me off. My story is inspired by a lot of YA novels, but my characters are all in their 20s so the story itself technically isn't YA. This isn't news to me, but someone brought this up and I read it as a negative comment. Just because the characters are older doesn't necessarily mean a YA audience wouldn't enjoy it, right?

Not at all, but it will make a difference in how you pitch it and how an agent will try to sell it..

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Might teens like reading a book about a 20yo? Possibly.

However, the problem is that agents and publishers will most likely feel that it is out of YA range. "Kids read up" seems to be true until YA hits a wall at 18yo, for both target audience and protagonists. There are a few exceptions that have MCs at 19 and 20, but they are rare. With a 20yo protagonist, you risk an agent's knee-jerk "I can't sell this as YA or adult" reaction.

ETA: If they're all in "their twenties," meaning beyond 20yo, you're definitely out of YA territory. I know I've asked this before, but are you sure you can't age them down?

Last edited:

JFitchett92

Registered
Reaction score
Might teens like reading a book about a 20yo? Possibly.

However, the problem is that agents and publishers will most likely feel that it is out of YA range. "Kids read up" seems to be true until YA hits a wall at 18yo, for both target audience and protagonists. There are a few exceptions that have MCs at 19 and 20, but they are rare. With a 20yo protagonist, you risk an agent's knee-jerk "I can't sell this as YA or adult" reaction.

ETA: If they're all in "their twenties," meaning beyond 20yo, you're definitely out of YA territory. I know I've asked this before, but are you sure you can't age them down?

Argh! This is so frustrating considering I'm only now considering this nearly a decade down the line!

I can do some tweaking to age down my characters to about 18-19, but I've been trying to create a sense of realism with my timeline. If the resistance could be founded and find it's feet within 3 years instead of 5, that would drop Vegas' age down to roughly 19, which I guess is workable. Then I can just scale down everyone else's age accordingly to bring them down to about the same. The next batch of edits are gonna be fun...

Netz, when did you last get your eyes checked? I used to get headaches at work all the time so I got my eyes tested, turns out I'm short sighted which was causing them. Glasses actually made the problem worse but I was able to make adjustments to my desk and now I rarely get them.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
JF, the difference between 3 years and 5 years for your resistance to get their shit together is going to be negligible to a reader. In fact, waiting 5 years before saving kids from torture will cause a lot more eyebrow raises than whether 3 years is a less realistic timeframe. This is the sort of thing where poetic license is your friend.

Netz, how scary to have such a long headache after having so few in your life. I'm glad they've ruled out anything serious, but I hope they find the solution soon!

Bing Z

illiterate primate
Registered
Reaction score
JF, age is not the only consideration whether your novel belongs to YA category or adult. Is there any coming of age elements? Does Vegas do anything resembling those of teens? Is she getting frustrated because she can't do things that contribute to the freedom as she is (considered) a teen? Is the book written in a YA voice? Does Vegas talk like Katniss or Rey?

What makes you want to market this book as a YA novel? Any benefits?

And then, can Vegas go into power extraction mode earlier, like, at 13? Then when she wakes up after a full term she is still 18, very much a ya.

Netz

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Netz, when did you last get your eyes checked? I used to get headaches at work all the time so I got my eyes tested, turns out I'm short sighted which was causing them. Glasses actually made the problem worse but I was able to make adjustments to my desk and now I rarely get them.

I had them checked in September and had a new prescription, but haven't had any problems there (thankfully!).

Netz, how scary to have such a long headache after having so few in your life. I'm glad they've ruled out anything serious, but I hope they find the solution soon!

Me too! :)

JFitchett92

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks guys, you're helping in more ways than you know. I just want to get this right because I've been working on this for too damn long.

As for the voice, I wrote it as if it's a teenager speaking because mentally she hasn't had the chance to grow up. I didn't deliberately set out to write a YA story, so if it's not YA I'll be happy so long as it's marketable!

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I'm 2 hours away from my flight! Then I'll be headed to the UK!

Last chance to make recs for London, Bath, or Edinburgh areas

edutton

Ni. Peng. Neee-Wom.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm 2 hours away from my flight! Then I'll be headed to the UK!

Last chance to make recs for London, Bath, or Edinburgh areas
Too much pressure! :p

This may be heresy, but I (a confirmed museum fan) enjoyed the V&A a bit more than the British Museum - but both are so worth your time. Just don't try them on the same day!

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
V&A is definitely on our list. I've had many recommendations for it. Both museums are covered by our London Pass, but V&A is first on our list as far as finding time goes :greenie

I hear it's snowing in England and Scotland, and, alas, my snow boots are packed in my storage unit, not anywhere near my luggage (also not the most comfortable for sightseeing, I would imagine). Since I got these nice breathable sneakers recently, I'm going to have to buy some boots in London. Today I'm really missing my old Sketchers, which were perfect for slipping on and off at airports and solid enough that my feet only got wet if the snow was higher than the top of the shoe. But they stopped carrying those.

ETA: I am discovering that these phone cords Santa slipped into my stocking (to replace the broken & lost ones that came with my phone) are not very efficient for charging my phone. I didn't entirely register that the speed was lower when charging them in my car (though I've been surprised at charge level being not as high as expected after driving a bit), but sitting in this airport for forty minutes with my comp plugged into the wall and my phone plugged into my comp (while my phone gives me an internet hotspot --it's very synergistic), my phone was only down like 6% power and still is only at 99%.

Oh, well, after the trip, I'll have my charging dock at the AirBnB, so it's only the 13 hours of flying where I'm worried about the charge for both devices. My watch should be okay, since it'll be on airplane mode and not doing anything but telling (Pacific) time.

Last edited:

Netz

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The Pump Room Bath is a very classy place to have something to eat, Sage, if you're looking for food. It's a bit pricey for some things, but reasonable for others. Here's the link - https://www.romanbaths.co.uk/pump-room-restaurant I haven't been to the Roman Baths themselves, but I'm sure they'll probably be worth a visit. Anyway, I hope you have a wonderful time in the UK, whatever you end up doing (hopefully not shivering too much with all the snow that's been forecast!).

JFitchett92

Registered
Reaction score
Have fun Sage!

The snow hasn't been so bad where I am. The transport infrastructure has actually held up for the first time in living memory, and the white stuff is actually quite beautiful. It's cold sure, but I don't mind. Winter is my season.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Snow is killing me. I haven't been in it for 2 years, and as tired as I was yesterday and unprepared with no boots or hat (or thermal underwear--oh, yes, it's all coming back to me now), I was very grumpy and unwilling to do anything. Hopefully today, with a nice 10-hour rest, I'll be more fortified, because we're doing a bunch of walking. And supposedly a lot more snow is headed our way.

Bookgirl2021

"If I had a heart, I'd give it to you."
Registered
Reaction score
I have to keep reminding myself that slow progress is still progress. It's just annoying when I thought making a plan of action would speed up revisions, and it's still taking longer than I'd like. But I guess it makes sense, since there's so much rewriting going on.

How's everyone else's writing (or vacationing) going? Oh, and kind of random, but has anyone heard from jtrylch? She hasn't been around in a while, and I know she was having health issues and moving and lots of crazy life stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.