"Old" People Writing for Teens V

Netz

Freshly caught writing bug lives!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The view from my stained glass window suggests by
Yes, I've gotten paranoid about having lots of back-ups after my PC died on me years ago and I hadn't backed up for quite a while. Luckily my brother was able to save the hard drive so I could get all my docs again, but it made me realise I should store them in some other places too (& back up regularly!).

I've managed to remove the hard drive from my dead laptop (go me, lol) and I'm now off to the tech room here for suggestions on readers for it. I'm determined to get that BP crit back to send to Sage, lol (might not be when she posts them this week, but it's an extra crit, so better late than never!). Am also mulling over what replacement laptop to get. Haven't dusted off my old laptop yet to see if it still works - if I fire it up now, maybe it'll have switched on properly by the time I've watched a TV show. :)

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I am very paranoid about losing my crits (which I write right here on AW, even though there's nobody for me to PM) and save them to my Scrivener file every time I do anything else on my computer, just in case I accidentally close the tab, or forget that I have another tab to track things on AW and use the one with the crit, or the computer crashes, or Safari crashes, etc.

I was very sad this morning & at lunch to have no new crits, so it was great to have 10 PMs in my inbox after work!

Netz

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I'm pleased to report I can access the documents on my hard drive again, so I'm back in business. PHEW!!!! :hooray:

My old laptop actually fired up a lot quicker than my now-deceased one did when it was working, lol. Sadly, things were so old on there and it was failing to load updates, so I can't really use it to surf the web (and it wouldn't let me install any anti-virus, etc, stuff). Will probably be a good option if I just want to write without distractions though, lol. Anyway, I'm now on a proper computer and am just about to try again with that extra crit. Wish me luck! :greenie

CoffeeBeans

Registered
Reaction score
I have clearly offended the Writing Gods.

I finished 223 pages of edits and finally felt ready to write the end of the MS, only to have an email notification. Maybe I just shouldn't have clicked. It was an R from a six month old #Pitmad (not a good fit) with the suggestion I join AW to learn more.

Clearly, I was in great spirits to finish the MS... On the other hand, look how famous AW is!

Finished a beta/alpha+ read the other day. Guys, it was SO GOOD. I've been fangirling since. If I can't be very happy with my own work, at least I can be happy with someone else's, right?

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
So a few things have come up recently that have inspired me to work on the last obstacles to self-pubbing the Hero/Villain trilogy. The first book is ready to go, except for the cover-related stuff. Book 2 and 3 need a plot point fixed up between them, and I've highlighted some typos in my Kindle versions of those books that I never got around to fixing on my master copies. The biggest obstacle, I think, is figuring out how to get cover art. I have a design in mind, I just don't know how to get it to the right artist. A friend said he'd do some mock-ups for me, but that was over 2 years ago, and he never did, and since we don't chat much any more, I don't want to be like, "Hi, how are you doing? And, oh, by the way, please do this for me." I'm not shy about paying someone for these covers, but again, I just don't know how to get in touch with someone who would.

I've been thinking about which name to use for the books. Sabrina Brooks is my Wattpad name (with very little to it), and I'm tempted to use it for this, keeping my trade publishing name separate. But if Sage Collins ever takes off, I'd like to use that name to sell the self-pubbed books.

My plan is to get all three books ready, release book 1 for cheap for a month, then make it free when I release book 2 a month later and book 3 a month after that, both on the more expensive (but still very cheap) end. This is a model I remember being suggested ages ago for authors self-pubbing a series. In this case, I can put book 1 on Wattpad too, to tease the other two books, which hopefully brings a new source of readers, and that's another point towards using Sabrina, instead of Sage.

CoffeeBeans

Registered
Reaction score
Wow, huge progress Sage! Good luck on the plans.

I have a friend who has done covers, but more illustrator-style, so I am guessing she won't fit the bill for you. People here in the SP areas must have some advice, no?

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you (and signal boost, obviously). This is exciting!

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I don’t know if illustrator style is what I want or not. Being a superhero story, I can see it easily with an animated look to it, but I don’t know. Can you email or PM a link for your friend (or examples of their work)? The SP forum has been less helpful than I’d like for this, though I’m still exploring links there.

KiwiLady

Registered
Reaction score
Sage - Yay, that's so exciting! I love that series. I have a couple of friends who self publish. I'll PM you links to their websites. If you like their covers let me know and I'll find out who they use. I'm only around for a few more days before I go off on holiday though, so let me asap if you want me to get you some details.

Bookgirl2021

"If I had a heart, I'd give it to you."
Registered
Reaction score
That's exciting, Sage! I, too, have a few friends who might be able to help. I repped you about one of them already, and I can check and see if the others would be interested if you'd like. :)

JKRowley

Registered
Reaction score
Hello! I don't know what I've been doing the last few months, but it hasn't been here. Glad to see you all and the Beta Project still going strong. One day I will do that.

Sage, I can see the dilemma with using a pen name or Sage Collins. The latter is such a great name and I remember it ever since "Love Sucks" was published. I used a pen name when I was doing SEO writing online, because I didn't want all those dumb articles to show up whenever someone googled me. I also never wanted to direct anyone to those articles. We are talking about a series of books that is probably pretty great considering the work you've put into them and the fact that you are not a newbie at this writing thing. If you use a pen name, there is that thing about telling people you wrote these books, and then explaining they are published under a pen name, and hoping they remember the pen name.

Self publishing has changed so much, both in how it is done and its perception. Many established authors are doing it, like Jane Friedman. However, if you are seeking an agent for other work, I might go the Sabrina the pen name.

JKRowley

Registered
Reaction score
In other news, I am stepping outside my comfort zone these days. My day job is at a library. I am doing a Summer Writing Camp for kids this summer. It is fun, but hard because I haven't done this before. I hope they are successful and something I can do every summer. I had my first one today, and was surprised how many kids just wanted to write whatever and share it with the group. One of these kids had some serious talent....in 5th grade! Her work was so beautiful, and came from the heart. She couldn't even read it herself. I read it for her, and it made me tear up from the sheer beauty of the language and the deep sentiment.

I'm also presenting at our local book festival this fall. Eek! I am going to talk about social media and the writer. If anyone has any tips or things they love, or what not to do for authors on social media, let me know and I will share the wealth.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Sage Collins is also a pen name ;)

Your writing camp sounds like so much fun, JKR, but I bet it's hard too.

Okay, guys, I have finished the last edits. Hopefully, I have finally fixed the problem of beating the reader over the head--I mean, subtly reminding them with catchy key phrases--that this superhuman we only meet 3 times has this particular power before the MCs use it in the climax, so that when they do, people will no longer be scratching their heads over what just happened. It only feels like I'm beating them over their head with it because it was the main thing I fixed in both books. Everything else was picky wording stuff and killing bitten lips with fire (I'm looking at you, Bug and Danny!)

I have found a cover art designer I love (I actually loved a lot that were suggested, but she calls to me) and I'm sending her an e-mail to find out more about pricing and when I can get on her schedule. In the meantime, I have to work on the description I want on each book. It's slightly different than the query (at the very least, it's not spoilery), so I'm trying it from scratch.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
The pricing was amazing! She's having a sale. I signed up for 3 covers, and it looks like they'll probably be done in October, so I have a deadline for the blurbs.

Also, I decided I should probably reread H/V1, which was a good idea, it turns out. I've found a bitten lip here too (grr, Evie!).

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
One thing I've noticed during my review of H/V1 is that in Evie's celebration of looking exactly how she wants to, it could easily be read as fat-shaming, so I'm really glad I'm going through this (not that I wouldn't have during the formatting stage, but it would've felt like a lot more work at that stage). It does turn out to be difficult to write about 2 people who are obsessed with how they look without being negative about certain types of looks.

I also notice that most recurring characters in this book are either considered fit (mostly the supes) or skinny/thin/scrawny (sidekicks, scientists, models). Some of these characters are getting a makeover, and some are just skipping that element of description now, and some are staying the way they were. Skinny/scrawny is not really described as a positive thing, but along with the potential fat-shaming Evie does in the first couple chapters, it does look like a pattern of being like "Everyone should be thin." I can see this as being a problem that develops when much of your inspiration is a television show, considering there are few series actors who are plus-sized, unless they're minor characters or it's a point that they are.

As far as Evie and Ace's thoughts on size, it's a matter of balance. Evie's always going to be obsessed with looks (no matter what Ace says), particularly her choices on her own looks. Ace is more forgiving, but he's always going to celebrate that he improved his own. But surely that can be done without making it seem like people should be ashamed to be overweight.

(You can tell I usually only reread books 2 & 3)

Last edited:

CoffeeBeans

Registered
Reaction score
Excellent news about the art, Sage!

I did think everyone was thin/fit because of the superhero thing, so I didn't think much about it at the time... guess these are the things that show up reading back.

Is anyone doing July Camp Nano? I am, but I can't decide what I'm working on. For the first time in ever, I'm leaning towards editing when I have the option to write something new. It's very unlike me...

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Camp NaNo is nice because it gives you that editing option, though.

CoffeeBeans

Registered
Reaction score
I guess? I usually dangle my next SNI as the reward for finishing a round of edits. This time, the edit pass wasn't painful. I am anticipating that means the betas will come back with a lot of red.

When THAT happens, any interest in editing something instead of drafting will probably evaporate. I even have a next all ready to go when the opening comes along... I have a few days left to come to my senses and draft instead.

I'm halfway through my current beta read and I'm turning up some interesting results. Somehow, I must have leveled up recently because I'm leaving a lot of notes that aren't just something I might think should look different but explanations with more logic/mechanics than usual.

Also, I have a sinking suspicion I know what went wrong with my last MS and why it was pulling a lot of Rs. Great to figure that out now, six months too late...

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I also feel like I've leveled up recently, and it's because of reexamining H/V1. I had the sense before that with 4 years under my belt between book 1 & book 2, that I probably was a better writer, and I even could feel it when I reread book 1, but I couldn't point to what exactly I was missing. But this time around--maybe because I came off reviewing books 2 & 3, and then went to book 1, which I haven't done since I wrote books 2 & 3, and back then I was specifically looking for things related to the future books' plot twists--I'm seeing places where I'm lacking (on top of the whole potential fat-shaming issue). These are places where that editor I won wouldn't necessarily have called me out on, but with the deeper insight into my characters--particularly Ace--in the future books, I am seeing where I was off on a "Isn't this cool?" tangent and not diving into them as people as much.

Last night I hit on my favorite scene from that book, which I've already revised once in light of books 2 & 3. Part of the problem with Ace in book 1, is that I thought at the time that he was what the Big Bad actually is. And I'm realizing that I didn't bring in his vulnerabilities until the second half of the book. So originally, this scene, where he kills another villain for keeping him from Evie, was him being stone-cold as he shot the guy. Very cool creepy villain-ness, but when doing that last big edit, I realized...not Ace. Ace would totally be flipping out, Kylo-Ren-style, and the only way he'd get through that scene is high on his own rage. Last night, what I realized was that the lead-up to him getting to the villain, while awesomely voicey, really misses out on the fact that he's actually being very daring and probably should be terrified about it. Now, Ace totally will take that terror and redirect it to rage, which is how I'll get him where I need him to be at the end of the scene, but now I have an eye on it and finally get the problem with that scene...as much as I've always loved it. I feel like having this insight will drive how I revise the rest of this book.

Of course, then I'll be afraid I ruined things my betas loved about it, lol.

CoffeeBeans

Registered
Reaction score
Leveling up in writing/editing is weird. Obviously, growth happens (if we're lucky) but I always feel like it just shows up all of a sudden. I don't feel like I had these skills (if I do actually have them) last week, even though they must have been part of a gradual process. Also, wondering if I actually have them is another problem. Maybe I'm just thinking better/seeing more clearly this week than last week.

Only your betas know you changed something. New readers won't even know there was a previous path there.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Leveling up in writing/editing is weird. Obviously, growth happens (if we're lucky) but I always feel like it just shows up all of a sudden. I don't feel like I had these skills (if I do actually have them) last week, even though they must have been part of a gradual process. Also, wondering if I actually have them is another problem. Maybe I'm just thinking better/seeing more clearly this week than last week.

Only your betas know you changed something. New readers won't even know there was a previous path there.

Maybe not even the betas. My experience is that they (or I) get an overall sense of improvement, and maybe remember scenes you took out or notice ones you've added, but changes within a scene, even if they were direct results of their notes, probably won't be noticed, unless they beta'd it very recently. But maybe that's just my own experience as a two-time beta (which I won't do anymore) and with people coming back to my own things.

Eventually I tend to forget what the actual changes were too. Even with H/V1, I'm wondering for some of these scenes what significant change I made in them that had me color-code it for Pitch-to-Publication edit.

CoffeeBeans, I want to thank you for the "leveling up as an author" language, because every major change I make to a scene this time around has my brain congratulating myself on that advancement. There is such a difference in my edits this time compared to even the P2P edits (which were less about realizing and revising problems within and more about adding stuff for the trilogy's sake), not the least of which is because this is all coming from my own realizations about the writing.

CoffeeBeans

Registered
Reaction score
has my brain congratulating myself on that advancement.

Right! That's exactly the feeling. My experience might be a bit different since I'm not working on my own MS? I don't know. I do hope the writer who gets this giant heap of notes doesn't think they are an annoying over-explanation. I'm working though so many of these ideas in my own head right now that I worry it'll seem unhelpful to someone else.

Last edited:

ManInBlack

Registered
Reaction score
Website
williamsilvia.net
MIB, have a wonderful time in Spain!
Funny thing about a trip to Spain...you either spend a lot of time with very slow internet, or being too busy doing trip things to actually use it for non-mandatory things.

So yeah, Spain was absolutely wonderful, and now I'm catching up on all the work that I haven't done (doubly since I spent a solid two months before the trip being too busy/stressed to think straight). At any given moment while I'm home I'm trying to do novel reading/research reading/theory reading (these two distinguished by being recent research in my field vs background in my field that experienced researchers already know)/housework/exercise (I've been told I lost weight in Spain and I'm trying to keep up the relatively healthy eating/exercise habits)/social media updates/fiction writing/research planning/find ways to make money.

Though I still like this life better than when I would hate work, come home, binge fiction until I was less dead inside, and write every night.

Netz

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm hoping I've levelled up in my writing, too. :) My revisions/editing are going slowly (I'm only about a fifth of the way through - oops), but I'm having So. Much. Fun. with this draft. :greenie

ION: My Pop Vinyl Princess Bride figures finally arrived today. :heart: So cute!!