"Old" People Writing for Teens V

CoffeeBeans

Registered
Reaction score
I did wonder what the surprise was going to be! That's so much fun Sage!

Day one of Camp Nano was a good one for me. It's amazing how much I enjoy working on a project I spend so much time avoiding...

I'm also telling myself I'm going to work on a query for the previous MS, but I don't know if that's really going to happen. I hate focusing on two projects at once. I always feel like one is an excuse to not work on the other (and then work on neither....)

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I've been actually thinking about doing a contest for a while, but then AW went down for the better part of 2 months, and that put a real damper on the idea.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I'm playing our daily game of cards with my parents.

Me: I'm stuck. I don't know how to get my guys to infiltrate this ship.
Mom: This is your White Christmas story?
Me: Yeah. They're rescuing one of the girls and the other is off to stop sabotage on the planet.
Dad and Mom: ???
Me: *exasperated* The "Betty" character went back to her ship when the "Judy" character fell for one of the guys and she fell for the other (totally right out of White Christmas + spaceship). But the commander of the ship wants to go back to war with the humans and he's using the sabotage on the planet to do it. By the way, they're aliens.
Dad: I'm out.
Mom: Yeah, this sounds nothing like White Christmas.

Okay, I win the "reimagining, not retelling" game!

Bookgirl2021

"If I had a heart, I'd give it to you."
Registered
Reaction score
No progress on WIPs here, but I have been writing letters to friends the last week or two. Especially the last week. Shortly after the panic and such started in my area, I picked up some sealing wax and have been making good use of it. :) And I've been reading. Not the things I should be, but... I'll get to those, right? Right. Instead I've been reading Dark is Rising for the first time, which I've really enjoyed. And a couple of Agatha Christie books.

I'm in quarantine right now, which is awesome. I hadn't been feeling well for a few days, and when I called my doctor he told me to get tested for COVID and quarantine until further notice. I'm having just the best time in the world. But what can I do? :Shrug:

I love the idea of AW writing groups. The one I was part of for years (and started during the age of TWFT) has kind of dissolved, and I don't have one locally, so I'm definitely looking for a new group. And I'm glad to see some people are having success with writing right now. Go Sage!

JKRowley

Registered
Reaction score
Be well, Bookgirl. I am worried about you.

Sage, it is wonderful you are connecting with your parents. I can't see my mom right now and it sucks. My sister lives with her, and I message her, but wonder if the panic and isolation is getting to my sister. She keeps talking about God saving Mom from coronavirus, and then nothing. Why you so busy you can't give us updates?

I am writing, writing, writing, and querying, querying, querying. My imaginary worlds are wonderful wonderlands I like to visit often.

Hope you all are well!

Bookgirl2021

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks. I'm honestly not too concerned. I'm going with I got sick because I'd been working a ridiculous amount (and ridiculous hours) and not sleeping much, and this is my body making me take a step back and take a break. I doubt it's actually the virus, but given the situation and such my doctor felt better safe than sorry--especially since I have asthma. So... I'm concerned, but not worrying about it, I guess. Just sick of being stuck inside and having to rely on telephone calls to have immediate interaction. Isolation is not good for me.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I live with my parents, so it's easy to keep an eye on them. I can be the one who runs out to the store for them (except for TP from Costco, which they got during the senior "magic hour" as we're calling it) or picks up food if we're brave enough to order out. Actually, they'd be ordering out every day except I told them off when they asked me to pick up food for them three days in a row and there were leftovers all over the fridge. I'm in the middle of a 2-week vacation, but will be going back to work here in a few days. Then I really become their biggest potential source of contamination.

Stay safe, BG. Hope that any illness you might have is mild.

Last edited:

Netz

Freshly caught writing bug lives!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The view from my stained glass window suggests by
I hope you get better soon, Bookgirl2021. :Hug2: Have you read Agatha Christie's 'Endless Night'? It's my fave of hers. I've also enjoyed 'Crooked House' and 'Sleeping Murder'. :)

Like you, Sage, I also live with my parents (moved back in with them a while back). I've now been promoted to the technical adviser in the household, lol. Since the UK lockdown was announced, we've successfully had a couple of family Zoom meetings with my sister and her family in Australia, my B-I-L and my niece and nephew just up the road from us (my NHS sister was at work at the time), and my brother and his family (also local) joined us for the first meeting. My parents were also pleased to be able to join some members of their church for an online meeting last Sunday afternoon, and my dad hinted he'd like to 'attend' again tomorrow if I could set it up on my laptop (the cheek, lol!) for them.

In other news, my pedometer stopped working properly after I dislodged it and it fell to the ground whilst I was out for a walk/some exercise this morning (my first outside one since I started working from home a fortnight ago - if I don't count going food shopping, that is!). :( Had to physically count steps instead, but I sometimes got distracted and lost my place, lol. I *think* I might've done 9k steps by the end of my 1hr-ish walk through mostly deserted streets, but I can't say for definite. If I do it again, I think I'll take a ribbon or bit of string with me and tie a knot it in for each 200 steps + 1k steps to keep track, lol. :greenie

Bookgirl2021

Registered
Reaction score
I hope you get better soon, Bookgirl2021. :Hug2: Have you read Agatha Christie's 'Endless Night'? It's my fave of hers. I've also enjoyed 'Crooked House' and 'Sleeping Murder'. :)

I know I've read Crooked House and Sleeping Murder. I'm not sure about Endless Night. I have quite a collection of her books, though. I think I have 50ish, possibly more. I inherited (most of) my mom's collection (other than a few my sister took before I had a chance to get them all on my bookshelves). :) I think my personal favorites (as if I could choose!) are probably Seven Dials Mystery, Secret Adversary, and Cat Among the Pigeons. At least, those were the three that got me hooked, and so will always have a special place in my heart.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I went through an Agatha Christie phase last winter, but I was mainly sticking to Hercule Poirot books

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Snow, Sparkling Like Stars finally has a first draft! After 3.5 years!

Bookgirl2021

Registered
Reaction score
Yay Sage! That's awesome!

I got my results back, and they were negative. Now I get to go to the doctor's tomorrow to try and figure out what is going on with my body. In the meantime, I'm taking a break from reading and continuing my visit to childhood and watching Boy Meets World.

ETA I have pneumonia! This is just so much fun! :flag:

Last edited:

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
More like the whole subforum. And Writing for Kids too.

Bookgirl2021

Registered
Reaction score
On the plus side, I'm actually getting some writing done! Although I keep starting to type the wrong MC's name. That's the problem with having worked almost exclusively on one story for almost a decade. :tongue

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
That's great, BG. Not the pneumonia part, but the writing part. When I'm sick, I get nothing done; I can't even concentrate on reading. You're a rockstar!

KiwiLady

Registered
Reaction score
Yay, I finally managed to log on here. Ever since the site went down, I've been having trouble getting onto this thread. Even now, when I try to go back a page to catch up on everything I've missed, it won't let me. I hope there's nothing "big" I missed on page 627.

Bookgirl - look after yourself. I'm not sure how you're writing with pneumonia, but you are amazing!

Netz - glad to hear you have been able to keep in touch with your family, including the ones in Australia. I can't see my parents at the moment, but we did catch up via a group chat on Facebook last Sunday afternoon over a drink or two. Mum was hilarious because she couldn't get the camera to work and decided she didn't want to play anymore. ;) My son talked her through it though, so it was all good in the end.

Sage and Netz - I'm jealous of anyone who can see their family at the moment.

We are locked down here too. We can only go out for essential work (which I don't do) or exercise or the supermarket. All takeaways etc are closed. We are looking after our elderly neighbors, getting them groceries so they don't have to go out. My parents haven't had any of their neighbors check on them which makes me sad, and almost made me break the lockdown to drive down and bring them food, but they managed to get a grocery delivery time so I didn't need to.

On the plus side, I'm getting a decent amount of writing done. But I'm also eating way too much. The plan next week is to eat less and exercise more...wish me luck!

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Just a reminder that the deadline for the Spring Writing Contest is tomorrow. Odds are still really good at winning a prize right now. 2 days is definitely enough time for a <600-word story (I average one of those a day in December)

Netz

Freshly caught writing bug lives!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The view from my stained glass window suggests by
Yay Sage! That's awesome!

I got my results back, and they were negative. Now I get to go to the doctor's tomorrow to try and figure out what is going on with my body. In the meantime, I'm taking a break from reading and continuing my visit to childhood and watching Boy Meets World.

ETA I have pneumonia! This is just so much fun! :flag:

I'm glad it wasn't Covid-19. Hope you recover from your pneumonia quickly. :Hug2:

Yay, I finally managed to log on here. Ever since the site went down, I've been having trouble getting onto this thread. Even now, when I try to go back a page to catch up on everything I've missed, it won't let me. I hope there's nothing "big" I missed on page 627.

Bookgirl - look after yourself. I'm not sure how you're writing with pneumonia, but you are amazing!

Netz - glad to hear you have been able to keep in touch with your family, including the ones in Australia. I can't see my parents at the moment, but we did catch up via a group chat on Facebook last Sunday afternoon over a drink or two. Mum was hilarious because she couldn't get the camera to work and decided she didn't want to play anymore. ;) My son talked her through it though, so it was all good in the end.

Sage and Netz - I'm jealous of anyone who can see their family at the moment.

We are locked down here too. We can only go out for essential work (which I don't do) or exercise or the supermarket. All takeaways etc are closed. We are looking after our elderly neighbors, getting them groceries so they don't have to go out. My parents haven't had any of their neighbors check on them which makes me sad, and almost made me break the lockdown to drive down and bring them food, but they managed to get a grocery delivery time so I didn't need to.

On the plus side, I'm getting a decent amount of writing done. But I'm also eating way too much. The plan next week is to eat less and exercise more...wish me luck!

I asked if you'd started living in your caravan yet. :) How's that working out with lockdown, if so? And good luck with the eating less and exercising more! :Hug2:

TheDancingWriter

To dance and write is divine.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
amberskyeforbes.wordpress.com
It's been 10,000 years since I was on here because I started prerequisites for physical therapy school, which are mostly science courses, and a new job, and so my writing life came to a screeching halt. But yay for quarantine and physics 2 was my last prerequisite and I don't start PT school til' the fall, so I got time to cram in as much as I can. I've had a query letter waiting for a couple of years, and I'm going to give that one more looksee before I start subbing.

jtrylch13

Has semi-colon; will use it!
Registered
Reaction score
Hey everyone! So . . . I posted a year ago and then disappeared. Life and twitter always distract me. ;) Anyway, dropping in to say HI! and see how things are going.

Since I've last posted I broke up with my agent and am querying again. Not fun, but a necessary move. YA Sci Fi is not getting much traction this days (and this pandemic isn't helping) so I am exploring the possibility of moving into Adult SF with YA crossover appeal. We'll see.

I'm also working on a retelling of Bram Stoker's Dracula from Mina and Lucy's POVs only and making it super feminist! it's a lot of fun tow rite though it's dark and deals with sexism and sexual assault. So it's also hard to write.

Book Girl - I hope you're feeling better by now. Pnuemonia can be so tough!

Bookgirl2021

Registered
Reaction score
Hey everyone! So . . . I posted a year ago and then disappeared. Life and twitter always distract me. ;) Anyway, dropping in to say HI! and see how things are going.

Since I've last posted I broke up with my agent and am querying again. Not fun, but a necessary move. YA Sci Fi is not getting much traction this days (and this pandemic isn't helping) so I am exploring the possibility of moving into Adult SF with YA crossover appeal. We'll see.

I'm also working on a retelling of Bram Stoker's Dracula from Mina and Lucy's POVs only and making it super feminist! it's a lot of fun tow rite though it's dark and deals with sexism and sexual assault. So it's also hard to write.

Book Girl - I hope you're feeling better by now. Pnuemonia can be so tough!

:hi: I was thrilled to see a post from you! I'm feeling mostly better, but still having some breathing issues. And my temperature just doesn't want to stay normal. It almost never quite gets up into fever-range, but considering it's usually lower than average and now every couple of days it's ~2* higher than my normal.... It's frustrating.

Awaking Melody just doesn't want to leave me alone. But I'm doing research for a sort of Hades and Persephone-type story. And writing it along the way. And when I say doing research, I mean I'm reading a bunch of stuff about the Greek/Roman myths to try to help me get in the zone.

How's everybody else doing?