"Old" People Writing for Teens V

edutton

Ni. Peng. Neee-Wom.
Registered
Reaction score
She's very active on twitter
Heh. I've been on Twitter maybe twice in the last couple of months... of course, I've been pretty quiet here too. Keeping up enthusiasm for getting online is hard sometimes (probably a bad thing for an aspiring author!)

RaggyCat

Registered
Reaction score
Hey! *waves* As an old person writing for teens I've come to join you all in hanging out. I geared myself up to start a new project today - a new YA book, which is a contemp/thriller - and as usual the experience of starting something new was agonising. It's happened to me every single project and I just need to bash through it, I guess. The book is planned out as much as I think is helpful right now (I can get bogged down if I over plan). Any tips from you guys on how to make starting something new less painless?

Sage, I feel for you with the timing of your trip to the UK - very bad luck! We've not had such bad snow in years. London was less worse affected, but in many other areas it was terrible. I'm shamed to admit that last week I didn't leave the house Weds- Sat (I have my reasons, but I can't say I enjoyed it!).

Sandra Gulland

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sandragulland.com

Netz

Freshly caught writing bug lives!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The view from my stained glass window suggests by
I have to keep reminding myself that slow progress is still progress. It's just annoying when I thought making a plan of action would speed up revisions, and it's still taking longer than I'd like. But I guess it makes sense, since there's so much rewriting going on.

How's everyone else's writing (or vacationing) going? Oh, and kind of random, but has anyone heard from jtrylch? She hasn't been around in a while, and I know she was having health issues and moving and lots of crazy life stuff.

A very true reminder to give yourself. :)

I'm 2 hours away from my flight! Then I'll be headed to the UK!

Last chance to make recs for London, Bath, or Edinburgh areas

Did you have fun in Bath? Would love to hear about the things you're getting up to over here (but only if you want to share on this thread, lol). Hope you're managing to keep warm enough! :)

Hey! *waves* As an old person writing for teens I've come to join you all in hanging out. I geared myself up to start a new project today - a new YA book, which is a contemp/thriller - and as usual the experience of starting something new was agonising. It's happened to me every single project and I just need to bash through it, I guess. The book is planned out as much as I think is helpful right now (I can get bogged down if I over plan). Any tips from you guys on how to make starting something new less painless?

Sage, I feel for you with the timing of your trip to the UK - very bad luck! We've not had such bad snow in years. London was less worse affected, but in many other areas it was terrible. I'm shamed to admit that last week I didn't leave the house Weds- Sat (I have my reasons, but I can't say I enjoyed it!).

:welcome: to the thread, RaggyCat! My tip is to turn off your inner editor, set yourself a daily/weekly/whatever word count goal and word vomit those pages until you've got your Draft Zero. It doesn't matter how messy/rough/rubbish it is - no one will ever see it, and at least you won't have white space staring back at you when it comes time to polish that draft into a respectable Draft One. (Yeah, I much prefer polishing/revising to writing the first draft. :greenie)

I know you've likely solved this problem by now, but if not, I suggest having a look at EMOTIONAL WOUND THESAURUS, since subplots usually have to do with secondary characters.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076KFRFNF/?tag=absowrit-20

Cheers,

Sandra (new to this board)

:welcome: to the thread (& the board!) as well, Sandra! :)

KiwiLady

Registered
Reaction score
set yourself a daily/weekly/whatever word count goal and word vomit those pages until you've got your Draft Zero.

I'm currently trying to clean up some of my word vomit. It's slow going but you're right - at least there are words on the page.

Also, congrats on the PitMad likes Netz. FWIW, I thought that particular pitch was amazing.

Last edited:

Netz

Freshly caught writing bug lives!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The view from my stained glass window suggests by
Aw, thanks, KiwiLady. :)

I'm editing a new ms now, too, but I'm adding a new beginning so I haven't reached my word vomit stages yet, lol. I only wrote 55 new words today, but it's still progress (right, Bookgirl2021?). :greenie

Last edited:

Bookgirl2021

"If I had a heart, I'd give it to you."
Registered
Reaction score
I'm editing a new ms now, too, but I'm adding a new beginning so I haven't reached my word vomit stages yet, lol. I only wrote 55 new words today, but it's still progress (right, Bookgirl2021?). :greenie
Please, call me BG. :)

Yes. Progress is progress, no matter how small. Saying that makes me think of a quote from one of my least favorite (or favorite to hate) characters ever: "Progress for the sake of progress must be discouraged. Let us preserve what must be preserved, perfect what can be perfected and prune practices that ought to be prohibited." I disagree with the first part, and would slightly alter the rest of it. :tongue

ManInBlack

Registered
Reaction score
Website
williamsilvia.net
It's that time in the semester where I'm comfortable enough in the things I need to do to actually spend time on a message board engaging with people!

It's a crazy time of year. Went to a psychology conference two weeks ago (where, of course, I picked up writing tips for APA style), attending an LGBTQ+ conference on Friday to learn to be a better ally/mental health provider, and presenting at a writing center conference next weekend!

I'm currently browsing the boards to find the right place to post about this writing book that I'm getting a lot from (it's about character development and helping me get into the head of a character I was struggling with) in between working on other projects.

Bookgirl2021

"If I had a heart, I'd give it to you."
Registered
Reaction score
I'm currently browsing the boards to find the right place to post about this writing book that I'm getting a lot from (it's about character development and helping me get into the head of a character I was struggling with) in between working on other projects.
Nothing wrong with posting about it here. :greenie

ManInBlack

Registered
Reaction score
Website
williamsilvia.net
Nothing wrong with posting about it here. :greenie
Fair, and I couldn't find a general "What Book Are You Reading" non-genred thread, so I'll mention it here.

Story Genius by Lisa Cron was recommended to me over the summer. I picked it up and when I'm not busy I've been working on it. It's basically a soft textbook; it's a description of a situation followed by an activity to use it: questions about character motives, prompts for scenes to develop the most important aspects of your characters, things like that. It's helped me go from a main character who is sort of like me, sort of not, but I couldn't really get into her head, to someone whose worldview and work ethic was shaped by being told someone she respected but didn't go to church enough was going to hell, thus forging the spine of the internal conflict. I may or may not go through this process with the rest of my main cast.

RunForPresentense

Registered
Reaction score
to someone whose worldview and work ethic was shaped by being told someone she respected but didn't go to church enough was going to hell, thus forging the spine of the internal conflict. I may or may not go through this process with the rest of my main cast.

That book sounds great, I'll have to pick that up! Are you saying your character's main conflict is based on something very unfamiliar to you? Would it be helpful to have the ear of someone who's related to plenty of folks that fit that description? ;) I might just qualify!

KateSmash

this was a triumph
Registered
Reaction score
It's a decent book on thinking about your story and weaving it from a psychological/neurological perspective. Her earlier book, done from a similar perspective about hooking readers, Wired For Story, is also worth a peek. BUT (IMO of course), it does get bogged down with repetition of 101 level details that feels like the author's talking down to the reader.

CoffeeBeans

Registered
Reaction score
MIB, I love a writing book with exercises. That sounds great!

Folks, I did that thing we aren't supposed to do.... but I did it anyway, and now I'm in exactly that spot they warn you about. I did #PitMad, it was fun, etc. I got two likes, which was really exciting (I haven't had a big number of likes in a day since my first pitmad a few years ago).

I thought, "hey, why not just send? They only want the first chapter!" and then that started to snowball. Two pitmad agents with 1 CH, one agent who had sort of asked me to query her, and another who had said to query with my next project ages ago. So! Looks like I'm querying. Fine, sure.... That's okay, the first 3CH are in good shape. Everything else is between 3rd draft and final, and after this weekend, I'll have time next week to polish the full.

And one of the agents (who had been out of office) requested a full 22 minutes after I emailed the query. I am torn between being super excited and banging my head on the desk. Why didn't I wait until everything was polished? Until I had time to do one more full pass? Until I hadn't totally committed my time to robots through Sunday night?

I knew this could happen, but I didn't think it would. Don't be me, OPWFT. I am now yet another cautionary tale.

edutton

Ni. Peng. Neee-Wom.
Registered
Reaction score
IHer earlier book, done from a similar perspective about hooking readers, Wired For Story, is also worth a peek. BUT (IMO of course), it does get bogged down with repetition of 101 level details that feels like the author's talking down to the reader.
I was wondering why her name sounded familiar... I've looked through Wired for Story, have to admit I didn't love it. The exercises in the other one do sound kind of cool, still.

RunForPresentense

Registered
Reaction score
Why didn't I wait until everything was polished? Until I had time to do one more full pass? Until I hadn't totally committed my time to robots through Sunday night?

I knew this could happen, but I didn't think it would. Don't be me, OPWFT. I am now yet another cautionary tale.

Equal parts congrats and, omigod what are you gonna do!?!? Break free of the robot tyranny?

CoffeeBeans

Registered
Reaction score
Break free of the robot tyranny?

I fully accept I am being over-dramatic. The agent had an out of office through Monday (and then responded anyway?) I'm hoping she won't think about it until then at the earliest. If I put in all the hours Monday and Tuesday, I could send it by Wednesday maybe? That doesn't seem like an impossible delay.

I am deeply grateful no one asked for a synopsis or I'd be freaking out for real.

Ellaroni

Registered
Reaction score
Coffee - congrats on the #pitmad success! And don't worry too much about the state of the MS - you'd probably think the same if you had polished it a lot ("hmmm, I should have polished more, it's not ready yet, just one more round of polishing and it will be perfect......."). Fingers crossed!!

I'm waiting for my editor to get back to me with her notes.... should be next week. And then I'll have three weeks to revise before I see her in person ;):scared:

KiwiLady

Registered
Reaction score
Coffee - congrats on the #pitmad success! And don't worry too much about the state of the MS - you'd probably think the same if you had polished it a lot ("hmmm, I should have polished more, it's not ready yet, just one more round of polishing and it will be perfect......."). Fingers crossed!!

Coffee - I'm with Ellaroni on this. :)

JKRowley

Registered
Reaction score
Good luck, Coffee. The editor might ask for revisions, so then you are good;)

I haven't been here in so long. I spent much of January and February writing a mystery story for the library. It was challenging, but a lot of fun. The story goes live this fall, and I am crossing my fingers it is fun and awesome, and makes sense. I don't normally write mysteries, but the story came to me quite easily. I was easily banging out 500 words a night. But I couldn't wait to work on something else.

Yeah, now I am working on a shiny new WIP and it is so S..L..O..W.. I miss those wordfilled nights writing that mystery. Maybe I should change my genre.

Jfitchett, with the YA problem. With agents, it is ALL about the marketing. If there is ANYTHING that makes a MS a harder sell, they are more cautious. Age is one of them. Voice is gigantic. Older than 18, and you are in the New Adult category, which I am not sure is a category anymore. You practically have to deliver a marketing package with a completed manuscript these days.

CoffeeBeans

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks all for the encouragement. Yes, I would have felt like I could have done better even if I'd done another pass before now (I also would still be tempted to do another-another pass). Upside, my #1 agent sent me a super quick form R, so my inflated sense of self has been quickly cured. ;)

I'm waiting for my editor to get back to me with her notes.... should be next week. And then I'll have three weeks to revise before I see her in person ;):scared:

You get to meet with your editor in person? That seems really ideal for discussion. Do you find that it helps or would you rather do all that long distance?

Yeah, now I am working on a shiny new WIP and it is so S..L..O..W.. I miss those wordfilled nights writing that mystery. Maybe I should change my genre.

It's so weird how every MS is a different beast. Maybe this one just wants to be slow roasted instead of broiled. When I feel like I'm losing my way, I make KiwiLady talk over my MS with me in painful detail until I feel well enough to continue, but everyone has a process :tongue

RunForPresentense

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks all for the encouragement. Yes, I would have felt like I could have done better even if I'd done another pass before now (I also would still be tempted to do another-another pass). Upside, my #1 agent sent me a super quick form R, so my inflated sense of self has been quickly cured. ;)

Best of luck with all the revisions and such! May you find an orphaned supply of helium to re-inflate your confidence in the meantime. (Obviously, the best way to regain confidence is positive self-talk in the smooth key of squirrel.) In your abundance spare time, can you tell me what #pitmad is? I figure it'll be a useful brain wrinkle to help me evolve from total luddite status.

CoffeeBeans

Registered
Reaction score
#Pitmad is a twitter pitch event. There are heaps of various pitch events and such, but #PitMad is the one I'm the most comfortable in.

http://pitchwars.org/pitmad/

You tweet your MS pitch, with hashtags for genre and the like, and agents browse though and hit "like" on the ones they'd like to see in their inboxes.

JFitchett92

Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys,

CoffeeBean I've never quite got as far as you have so I have no idea what to suggest >.< Congratulations though and hopefully it leads to bigger things for you. Good luck!

I am going to reducing my character's age as best I can. The voice I feel is definitely there, but part of the problem is just how my character is. Physically she is 21 (although it's now being reduced to 19) but mentally she hasn't really grown, so she still has the mind of a 16 year old, which is reflected in her mannerisms and her relationships with people. I appreciate it's going to be a tough-sell so I'm not above self-publishing, I just want to try it this way first.

Writing aside, I've had a really hard time this week so there hasn't been any real writing at all this week. I got an interview for a promotion at work, something I've been working for the last year or so towards, but it got retracted the day before. Long story short, I made a bad call for a good reason (my manager thinks so anyway) but it's backfired and someone had to take responsibility. The good thing is I owned up to my mistake and took the hit, the bad thing is I've damaged my reputation.

My manager gave me a pep-talk and told me to get up and prove myself again, essentially turning my working life into a kind of redemption story (another colleague called it my "end of season plotline"). I've still got my team, and they've got my back, so I'm hoping this is just a blip and that the summer (wherever it is) holds better things for me.

/moanover