Your best Self-Published finds of 2014 so far!

matt marshall

Registered
Reaction score
Hey people,

which self-published books have taken you by surprise so far this year?

I'd love to discover new authors this year as opposed to reading the same stuff, and I hopefully you guys can help.

Even though we're only 7-8 weeks into the year, I'm sure some of us have found some self-published gems out there. If so, please share.

Cheers

Matt

Last edited:

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
As this thread is about reading, rather than self-publishing, I'll move it out of the Self Publishing room and into the Book Club.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Umm... does late-2013 count?

Scott Meyer, creator of the comic Basic Instructions, wrote and self-published (under Rocket Hat Industries, a reference to a running joke in his comic) a hilarious sci-fi tale Off to Be the Wizard. A twentysomething computer geek stumbles onto a data file that controls reality; through a series of mishaps, he winds up in medieval England playing wizard alongside several other programmers from various times who also discovered the data file and had to "lie low" in the past. It reads like Douglas Adams Lite; somewhat irreverent, with a chuckle at least on every page.

There's a sequel, Spell or High Water due out in July of this year - I expect I'll be pre-ordering as soon as budgeting allows. (I suppose it's not quite self-publishing anymore; he's signed with Amazon's specfic imprint, 47North. Which is good, as it looks like he has a whole series lined up.)

matt marshall

Registered
Reaction score
Umm... does late-2013 count?

Scott Meyer, creator of the comic Basic Instructions, wrote and self-published (under Rocket Hat Industries, a reference to a running joke in his comic) a hilarious sci-fi tale Off to Be the Wizard. A twentysomething computer geek stumbles onto a data file that controls reality; through a series of mishaps, he winds up in medieval England playing wizard alongside several other programmers from various times who also discovered the data file and had to "lie low" in the past. It reads like Douglas Adams Lite; somewhat irreverent, with a chuckle at least on every page.

There's a sequel, Spell or High Water due out in July of this year - I expect I'll be pre-ordering as soon as budgeting allows. (I suppose it's not quite self-publishing anymore; he's signed with Amazon's specfic imprint, 47North. Which is good, as it looks like he has a whole series lined up.)

That sounds really cool, quirky and original. I'll add it to my list.

I've been getting the same feeling recently that I've had with music for the past few years i.e. I need to find new stuff!!

I haven't had that feeling of discovery in ages. And there's nothing better than stumbling upon something new which really moves you.

Cheers :)