What's my subgenre?

lizo27

Speshul snowflake
Registered
Reaction score
I'm presently about to commence to start to begin a story featuring a practicing magician (more Jonathan Strange than Harry Houdini) who's investigating a curse in Victorian England. The setting is an alternate timeline in which magic is real and there're airships and fast trains, but they're magitek.

I don't know if I should call it urban fantasy (doesn't seem contemporary enough), steampunk (too much magic, not enough SCIENCE!), or what. I realize it's a bit absurd to get hung up on this when I haven't yet put cursor to computer screen, but I like to know what I'm doing.

Reaction score
Second star on the right and on 'til morning.
Website
atsiko.wordpress.com
I'm presently about to commence to start to begin a story featuring a practicing magician (more Jonathan Strange than Harry Houdini) who's investigating a curse in Victorian England. The setting is an alternate timeline in which magic is real and there're airships and fast trains, but they're magitek.

I don't know if I should call it urban fantasy (doesn't seem contemporary enough), steampunk (too much magic, not enough SCIENCE!), or what. I realize it's a bit absurd to get hung up on this when I haven't yet put cursor to computer screen, but I like to know what I'm doing.

Steampunk (fantasy).

Or possibly historical fantasy, if you want to go broader.

Weirdmage

Registered
Reaction score
I love discussing SFF subgenres, and find those discussions to be both interesting and good fun (in most cases), but I see SFF subgenres not as writing guidelines but as consumer information.
Before your novel ends up at a publisher's marketing/PR department, or you are uploading a self-published novel to an online store, what subgenre it belongs to has very little relevance. And before it is written it is impossible to determine anyway.

P.S. Good luck with the writing. :)

Last edited:

LOTLOF

Registered
Reaction score

The point of genres and sub-genres is to try and steer books towards groups of fans who might enjoy them. A practicing magician investigating a mystery in a Victorian England with trains and airships sure makes me think of steam punk. Don't worry about the balance of fantasy versus science, the important thing is that the audience will probably be the one most interested in your story.

Reaction score
Website
atsiko.wordpress.com
The point of genres and sub-genres is to try and steer books towards groups of fans who might enjoy them. A practicing magician investigating a mystery in a Victorian England with trains and airships sure makes me think of steam punk. Don't worry about the balance of fantasy versus science, the important thing is that the audience will probably be the one most interested in your story.

There's also a huge tradition of steampunk fantasy, and actually sf steampunk is relatively more modern by comparison.

Osulagh

Independent fluffy puppy.
Registered
Reaction score
I suggest you write it and then identify it. Don't procrastinate. Dive in.

Fantasy (AU historical)--for sub-genre, whatever your chosen press wants that your book could arguably be.

Agree with the two above. Disagree with Liosse on the steampunk (sorry!).

If you're "presently about to commence to start to begin a story" sounds like you've got several kinks to work out before you actually write it. The subgenre really doesn't matter until it's just about to be placed on the shelf.

Get to writing, and best of luck. :)

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Sounds like steampunk to me. You could also call it alternate history. Or if you don't feel like being specific, just call it fantasy. Your agent and publisher will figure out exactly how to market it.

For a comparative title, you might want to take a look at Kate Elliot's Spiritwalker Trilogy (starting with Cold Magic). It's an alternate history set sometime in the 1800s with magic and a few airships, though the airships aren't a big focus.

Reaction score
Website
atsiko.wordpress.com
Agree with the two above. Disagree with Liosse on the steampunk (sorry!).

If you're "presently about to commence to start to begin a story" sounds like you've got several kinks to work out before you actually write it. The subgenre really doesn't matter until it's just about to be placed on the shelf.

Get to writing, and best of luck. :)

Well, they were unclear on if there was actual steam tech involved, so I just gave it the benefit of the doubt.

lizo27

Speshul snowflake
Registered
Reaction score
I did some looking around, and it seems Gail Carriger's Parasol Protectorate series is considered steampunk. If that's the case, I think my story definitely falls into the steampunk category. Regardless, you are all right about one thing--I need to start writing!

Reaction score
Website
atsiko.wordpress.com
I did some looking around, and it seems Gail Carriger's Parasol Protectorate series is considered steampunk. If that's the case, I think my story definitely falls into the steampunk category. Regardless, you are all right about one thing--I need to start writing!

Well, there is a sort-of genre called gaslight romance/gaslight fantasy, which is a Victorian setting that isn't steampunk. PP has been labeled that before. But that's nit-picking.

lizo27

Speshul snowflake
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input, guys. I've started writing; I'll figure out genre later. :)

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com

Gaslight fantasy? I've heard that term used for Victorian settings with magic instead of clockwork. I kind of like the concept, actually. Who doesn't love stories with bustles and funny hats?

Last edited:

PaulLev

I was here 3 months from now.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
PaulLevinson.net
I love discussing SFF subgenres, and find those discussions to be both interesting and good fun (in most cases), but I see SFF subgenres not as writing guidelines but as consumer information.

Cuisine is a good source of analogy. If a restaurant calls itself an Italian restaurant, but all you can get in it is sushi, then that's likely to be disappointing to diners, however delicious the sushi may be.

lizo27

Speshul snowflake
Registered
Reaction score
Cuisine is a good source of analogy. If a restaurant calls itself an Italian restaurant, but all you can get in it is sushi, then that's likely to be disappointing to diners, however delicious the sushi may be.

I like that analogy, Paul. To take it a little further (farther? I never know about that one) I feel like I've got the ingredients, and yes, I'm (finally) cooking, but I'm not sure what I'm making yet, or at least what to call it. I guess once I'm finished I'll know whether it's an apple pie or lasagna. :)

ULTRAGOTHA

Merovingian Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
It may be too punkey to be a Fantasy of Manners. Depends on how the magic/manners/tech is presented. But Fantasy of Manners is the subgenre into which I would place Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrel.

lizo27

Speshul snowflake
Registered
Reaction score
It may be too punkey to be a Fantasy of Manners. Depends on how the magic/manners/tech is presented. But Fantasy of Manners is the subgenre into which I would place Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrel.

But that would be more Regency than Victorian, wouldn't it?

ULTRAGOTHA

Merovingian Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
I think Victorian can also be Fantasy of Manners. I would draw the fuzzy FoM line with Mercedes Lacky's Elemental Masters on the inside of the line, and those books go through WWI.