Querying different books, different names

folkchick

Not a new kid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thescribe.godaddysites.com
If a person has a manuscript under their real name and one under a pen name should they seek different agents? I have a situation where one agent has my R&R for a YA contemporary, and another has shown interest in a commercial lit, and I'm not sure if I should disclose the above info or just stick to facts pertinent to each book. Since I might be querying more in the future, I thought it'd be wise to get the etiquette on such things. Thanks for any advice that you can give.

Last edited:

suki

Opinionated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If a person has a manuscript under their real name and one under a pen name should they seek different agents? I have a situation where one agent has my R&R for a YA contemporary, and another has shown interest in a commercial lit, and I'm not sure if I should disclose the above info or just stick to facts pertinent to each book. Since I might be querying more in the future, I thought it'd be wise to get the etiquette on such things. Thanks for any advice that you can give.

The different names thing is a red herring. You are one person, and you will eventually sign a contract for representation under your legal name, regardless of how many pen names you use.

You should actually be querying under your real name, "writing as__________" or in your case, maybe even, "writing as ________ (YA) and ___________ (Adult)." But query under your name for both.

If possible, it would be best to have one agent who reps all of what you write, but if that doesn't work out, you can have an agent for your YA and an agent for your adult, BUT they would both need to agree to that (because the contract would have to be specific about what they have a right to represent), and they'd know you as you, "writing as _____________."

Once an agent actually wants to talk representation or makes an offer of representation, you should then disclose all your other manuscripts and see if the agent is interested in looking at them, too. And then you should also notify the agents reading either manuscript (and I'd clarify, ie, "I've received an offer of representation for my manuscript for the adult market , TITLE. Would you be interested in seeing that, as well? And is my YA TITLEOFYA still under consideration?" You will need to see which agent is best for you based in part on what they represent or which market you are most likely to write in. Ideally, you'll find one who reps both, or an agency that reps both.

But until someone offers rep, starts discussing rep, or asks what else you have written, you don't need to offer up the other manuscripts.

But I'd be careful about querying under pen names -- you are you, no matter how many names you write under. And I'd query as yourself, "writing as_______."

good luck!

~suki

Ferret

Dook!
Registered
Reaction score
Agents usually represent everything by their clients. I've heard of writers having two agents for two different genres, but it seems rare and complicated. You'd definitely have to be upfront about it, and the agent might not agree to it.

At this stage, though, I'm not sure that it's necessary to bring it up. The agents haven't offered representation yet, and if you haven't agreed to any exclusives, you're free to contact other agents. Discuss this before signing with anyone, though.

Added: I agree with Suki that you should include your real name in the query even if you don't mention other manuscripts at first.

Last edited:

folkchick

Not a new kid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thescribe.godaddysites.com
suki and ferret, great advice and thank you very much for it. I think I'll be okay with the way I subbed then, since I did include my real name with the commercial lit. I put: "As [pen name] I've had stories published with . . ." but kept my real name in the contact info. I'm happy to hold on to all the other info until an offer is made. If one is made.:tongue Thank you again!