The Bookity Book & Tall Grass Salon

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
I'm just going to put this question out there: Every other genre forum seems to have a fun hangout thread, lovingly referred to as a bar or cantina or saloon or coffeeshop ... except us.

Why is that? Do we not generate enough traffic to support a thread of miscellaneous mindless meanderings?

Are we all too serious and introspective to joyfully join in a thread of mirthful meaningless messaging?

I ask you.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Oh. And not to shine a light on my own literary ignorance, but it just came to my attention that the wonderful 1944 movie with Humphrey Bogart and Lauren Bacall, "To Have and Have Not," directed by Howard Hawkes, was actually an adaptation of a novel by Hemingway of the same name. I did not know, until now, that that novel even existed! Now I have to get a copy and read it.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'll play, when I can tear myself away from the Pub and the Bouncy Castle and the Old Farts Tiki Bar....

:D

Cool about the Hemingway. I might have to try once again to get organized about such things as TBR lists, since there are far too many things to read and I do forget them.

Right now I am happily immersed in Alice Munro short stories.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, well, gaps. I've given up even thinking about trying to fill in gaps. :D

I just have two collections of hers, and she has many out there. I'm reading slowly, savoring. She is awesome.

And I am embarrassed to say I'd not have heard of her had she not won the Nobel last year. But the fact that a short story writer did win was quite a boost to me. I doubt I'll ever have it in me to write a novel. But stories? Oh yeah. :D

Deleted member 42

Oh. And not to shine a light on my own literary ignorance, but it just came to my attention that the wonderful 1944 movie with Humphrey Bogart and Lauren Bacall, "To Have and Have Not," directed by Howard Hawkes, was actually an adaptation of a novel by Hemingway of the same name. I did not know, until now, that that novel even existed! Now I have to get a copy and read it.

It's unfortunate not closely tied the film. The other thing people don't realize about the film is that Faulkner worked on the script, which is pretty cool.

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
I'm just going to put this question out there: Every other genre forum seems to have a fun hangout thread, lovingly referred to as a bar or cantina or saloon or coffeeshop ... except us.

If you build it, they will come.

Or I will, anyway. ;) :D

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
ETA: Hiya ap! Cool, another playmate. :D

About that movie, yes it is cool that Faulkner worked on the script. Gets me wondering, though, how Hemingway felt about Faulkner working on a script from his novel, and one which ended up deviating that much.

Last edited:

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
I like To Have and Have Not, both the movie and the book, as very separate pieces of work. They are not closely related, but I enjoyed both.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
ETA: Hi Stew. That's twice I got caught in the cross-postage in here, was replying to Jed....

Well, meander some over this way then.

Say, what's the specialty of the house here anyway? I mean, the name is Sloppy Joe's but I hope there's something on the menu besides, yanno, sloppy joes, which are fine and all but, maybe we need to, um, beef up the menu a little.

*is taking suggestions*

And, since my timing is badly off, I'm going out on errands and will check back in in about an hour or so.

Somebody keep an eye out for the jukebox delivery?

thanks k bai

Last edited:

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

*sorts quarters for the jukebox*

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Sloppy Joe's was the name of the bar in Key West Hemingway hung out at. Not named after the sandwich.
About that movie, yes it is cool that Faulkner worked on the script. Gets me wondering, though, how Hemingway felt about Faulkner working on a script from his novel, and one which ended up deviating that much.
I wonder how Hemingway felt, too. I did read that Hemingway told Howard Hawkes that the novel itself was crap and his worst ever.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, of course! (Bar name.)

I even spent a bit of time in Key West ages ago, and had forgotten that.

*sigh*

Well, then, we also are going to need a tribe of six-toed cats in here, if we're invoking Hemingway.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I once enjoyed a drink with Morley Callaghan, a Canadian short-story writer, who claimed to have been the only person every to knock Hemingway down in a fight. He was a very interesting man.

And Alice Munro. *adoring silence*

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Wait. Morley knocked down Hemingway *and* Alice Munro?

*rereads*

no, sorry, no of course that's not what you meant, hi, what would you like to drink?

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So, yeah, I have just finished Dear Life, though I did not read the four autobiographical pieces at the end. Saving those for now. I have just started the collection called Hateship, Friendship, Courtship, Loveship, Marriage.

I also read one long piece, titled Fiction, which was published online in a venue called (memory may be faulty here) the Daily Lit?

ap, what of hers have you read?

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
Asst shorts, and then of her collections I've read Lives of Girls and Women, Who Do You Think You Are (could be wrong on that title), Too Much Happiness, Dear Life, The Moons of Jupiter, and Friend of My Youth.

So not everything, but quite a bit.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Having read quite a bit more than I have, have you ever detected any shift in quality? Any of those less toothsome than the rest? I ask because at this point in my reading of her, every piece seems equally wonderful. I don't think I can say this about any other writer I've read and certainly not about any other short story writer (though I admit I have not read all that widely of short stories.)

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
No. There have certainly been some I've enjoyed more than others, but her writing is, imo, truly amazing. Every story, I feel. And to me, that's the best, when you can really feel the story.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah. They are breathtaking. And seamless. And stunning good, and and...

I've even postponed picking up the copy of Donna Tartt's The Goldfinch that is sitting on top of the hall bookshelf, in favor of continuing to read Munro. And I have loved the others of hers I read, and look forward to this one too, but, not right yet.

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
I loved the first third of The Goldfinch, by the time I was over halfway through I was forcing myself, at 2/3 I gave up. I'm sure I'll go back to it at some point, and of course, YMMV.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh interesting. Well, maybe it's okay then, for it to sit and gather some more dust.

Though my sister did read it through, seemed to like it, and she is far from a literary sort.

Now I'm intrigued. :D

Looks like we emptied the place out, with all this mooning over Munro. Maybe we should have meandered meaninglessly more.

meandermeandermeander

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
Looks like we emptied the place out, with all this mooning over Munro. Maybe we should have meandered meaninglessly more.

meandermeandermeander

So I suppose this means a discussion of Virginia Woolf is out of the question ;)