So I have a contract. Now what?

Tromboli

Hopelessly Hopeful
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staceytrombley.com
Yesterday, I got an official offer from a great small press (and because I know you'll ask, yes I've done lots of research. They are a very well respected publisher yada yada)

Today I got the contract, and I'm not sure what to do with it. I know I should have someone look over it, but how do I find someone to do it?

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
If you're in the UK, join the Society of Authors and ask them to look over the contract for you.

If you're based elsewhere, find a similar organisation to check your contract for you.

Or you could try to get an agent to represent you, and negotiate the finer points of the contract for you.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
FWIW, I have a friend who got her agent that way--contract in hand, she contacted her dream agent and asked if he'd look it over in exchange for the usual percentage plus repping the next book. She got the offer from the first one she asked.

Essentially, it's close to free money for the agent, since the sale's already been made.

Maryn, who hasn't seen her friend in some time, come to think of it

Tromboli

Hopelessly Hopeful
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staceytrombley.com
I'm in the US. I've heard of the writers guild but was confused looking at the site. Seemed like it was for screen writers more than print. And I had no idea what this meant: "The fundamental requirement for becoming a WGA member is that you are hired to write by an employer who issignatory to a WGA contract."

But I guess I'll just have to call and find out.

Tromboli

Hopelessly Hopeful
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staceytrombley.com
Actually, when the editior first contacted me about an working on revisions with him on an exclusive, I had a couple agents reading. One in particular said she didn't want to just jump on a deal if she didn't feel she could earn the commison, she said this publisher doesnt negotiate much (they have a low set advance) so she just asked to see my next project. I do have a few agents reading a MG novel now, I could contact them I suppose, since it could effect them later if they offer on the other book. Otherwise, I think I'll stick with it on my own for now.

Peggles

Registered
Reaction score
I do have a few agents reading a MG novel now, I could contact them I suppose, since it could effect them later if they offer on the other book. Otherwise, I think I'll stick with it on my own for now.
Definitely contact them. It can't hurt! Having the contract in hand can only help you. I would look around the internet for contract information and do as much research as you can in the mean time. Figure out what shady clauses to look for and proof your contract.

Make sure to read every word front to back and take notes on a notepad about what each sentence means in plain English. If you don't know what something means or what it would mean for your career or book, call the publisher and ask, and ask here.

Just be careful, and congrats!!!

Raisa

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Congratulations! I have no advice. Just admiration.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I'm in the US. I've heard of the writers guild but was confused looking at the site. Seemed like it was for screen writers more than print. And I had no idea what this meant: "The fundamental requirement for becoming a WGA member is that you are hired to write by an employer who issignatory to a WGA contract."

But I guess I'll just have to call and find out.

The WGA is for screenwriters - the quoted means to become a member of the guild you must have been hired by an org. that has agreed to guild conditions. Same as to get a SAG card you have to work on a SAG production. They're basically unions. You need to work at a union shop to become a union member.

If you're talking about a novel, it's not relevant.

Tromboli

Hopelessly Hopeful
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staceytrombley.com
Then what is everyone talking about the writers guild of America that does contract negotiations for writers?

Its not a huge deal now because I got in contact with Victoria Straus whod mentioned she'd never seen the contract for this publisher and would love to. I sent her a message and she said she's willing to look over it and give some notes/suggestions. But I am curious about what other people do. Has anyone actually used the Writers Guild? Because I have heard others mention it.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Then what is everyone talking about the writers guild of America that does contract negotiations for writers?

Tromboli, I might have got this wrong... but didn't you bring up the Writers' Guild in this thread? You're the only one talking about them here, as far as I can see.

Tromboli

Hopelessly Hopeful
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staceytrombley.com
Ok. Someone in an old thread mentioned Writers Guild Of America so I assumed that what Old Hack meant. Guess that person had it wrong then. Makes sense. Thanks

ntortorella

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Tromboli,
I joined the authors guild when I received the contract for my first book. The dues were something like $90 US/year or so. The only reason I joined was because a book contract review by an attorney was included with the dues.

Although I never met him face to face, the lawyer was a good guy. I think he may have been a bit green, but I'm not sure. At any rate, green or ripe, he flagged several items in the contract and suggested how I should negotiate them.

I got with my publisher and negotiated the points that were flagged. I was fairly stunned that my publisher agreed to everything, save one point. I don't recall what that was, but I remember it was something out of his control.

I'm pretty sure if I had hired an intellectual properties attorney (which I have now) their fees would have significantly outweighed the $90 for the guild dues.

I hope this helps you out.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Ok. Someone in an old thread mentioned Writers Guild Of America so I assumed that what Old Hack meant. Guess that person had it wrong then. Makes sense. Thanks

When I referred to the Society of Authors, I meant... the Society of Authors. Not the Writers' Guild or any other organisation.

Tromboli

Hopelessly Hopeful
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staceytrombley.com
Yes but you were talking about the UK. Figured it was a different organization with a different name for the US. And just assumed it was the one I'd heard someone else mention. I was just confused.