The SFF Writing Check-in Corner

Biffington

Father of a thousand spawn
Registered
Reaction score
Trying to fix up my epilogue, first chapter, and query letter. It's only about 50k, a bit of a fast-paced thriller fantasy, so I don't know if I'll be able to sell it, but the pacing works. I keep trying to find a place to add more exposition, but it would ruin the pacing.

Gang aft agley

defunct human bean
Registered
Reaction score
My short story is already 3000 words longer than I want it to be and I still have a scene or two I need to write. I am going to have to cut like crazy on my edit. It's sitting at 9,400 and I would really like the finished product to be 6,500-7,500.

PrairieDawn

Registered
Reaction score
Working on chapter 7 of Nine Days' Wonder. Hoping to have another 6K or so by the end of the year while writing other stuff concurrently.

Ethan

Registered
Reaction score
hey all. I'm sorta getting back into the groove after an extensive break. Currently want to finish a "Book" within the year. That is the goal anyway. also no clue where to post for critiques/ where to find things to critique. I look forward to getting to know you all through our writing.

WriteMinded

Derailed
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, nice to see a new post here. I'd hate to see this thread die.

After a long hiatus, if it can be called that, I am back to working on the book that follows the one that is currently being edited.

booksnbrains

Registered
Reaction score
Hey all! New to the group, but I'd love to find other SFF nerds to write with.
I'm currently trying my hand at short stories. My goal for the week is to spend 20+ minutes a day outlining. Gonna try for the writing next month!
What's everyone working on?

WriteMinded

Derailed
Registered
Reaction score
Hi booksnbrains. Glad to see you here. I don't know why it is such a struggle keeping this thread going. It's not like there aren't tons of fantasy writers who regularly post in the forums here. How are you doing with your goal? Are you going to be ready for the writing part? Hope you will post your first story in the crit section where you will get mostly good advice. I write novels, very long novels. Currently, one is finished, another is with an editor, and one is in progress. Yet another is completed 3rd draft, but I'm not happy with it, so I've gone back to the "in progress" book. Will be working on that one today.

WriteMinded

Derailed
Registered
Reaction score
Hi booksnbrains. Glad to see you here. I don't know why it is such a struggle keeping this thread going. It's not like there aren't tons of fantasy writers who regularly post in the forums here.

How are you doing with your goal? Are you going to be ready for the writing part? Hope you will post your first story in the crit section where you will get mostly good advice.

I write novels, very long novels. Currently, one is finished, another is with an editor, and one is in progress. Yet another is completed 3rd draft, but I'm not happy with it, so I've gone back to the "in progress" book. Will be working on that one today.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
I'm working on the sequel to the book in my signature. Soon I need to start researching alternative energies--geothermal, wind, nuclear and so on--which is some of the science that will be woven into the sequel.

I'll be in the NaNo cabin too. :)

Writeminded--good to see you. It seems to me that a lot of threads don't really kick around much. Personally, I try not to intrude on threads where I don't belong (like the next circle) and sometimes the critique threads I feel like an oddball with my opinions anyway. But the accountability threads have been good to keep me writing. I try to check in daily there.

WriteMinded

Derailed
Registered
Reaction score
I'm working on the sequel to the book in my signature. Soon I need to start researching alternative energies--geothermal, wind, nuclear and so on--which is some of the science that will be woven into the sequel.

I'll be in the NaNo cabin too. :)

Writeminded--good to see you. It seems to me that a lot of threads don't really kick around much. Personally, I try not to intrude on threads where I don't belong (like the next circle) and sometimes the critique threads I feel like an oddball with my opinions anyway. But the accountability threads have been good to keep me writing. I try to check in daily there.
Scientific research. Lots of work. Makes my head ache to think of it.

Hey, you definitely belong in this thread. Here folks come and go, mostly go, but I'd sure like to keep it alive. I don't know why folks don't stick. As for oddball opinions, mine are often at odds with the general advice or opinions. So, oh well.

I've been working on a sequel, too. Yesterday I ran into the kind of trouble I fall into when I haven't looked at a wip for a while. There are quite a few characters in the pending battle scenes, and I'd lost track of who was where. I sent Cuinn off to watch the Saxons' encampment, but then I realized he'd already been sent somewhere else, similar issues with two other characters. Fixing the chapters was a tedious stretch of listing each event, where each (named) character was located when, and what they were doing. Not the way I like to spend my writing time.

I know what you mean about the threads. People are nice, but sometimes, they have known each other a long time, and I'm just too late to the party. More likely it is just me. Never been a fitter inner.

BLAlley

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
writerblalley.wixsite.com
My short story is already 3000 words longer than I want it to be and I still have a scene or two I need to write. I am going to have to cut like crazy on my edit. It's sitting at 9,400 and I would really like the finished product to be 6,500-7,500.

Unless you're meeting requirements for a contest or to submit your story to a periodical, setting minimum or maximum word limits is a sure way to stifle creativity. Let the story dictate the word count.

BLAlley

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
Stalled WIP

In spite of declining health which has resulted in a loss of mental focus and more physical discomfort sitting at the computer, last year I decided to write novel number six, and the fourth in my series. It was going to require specific details about planetary mechanics including how a rapid shift in lunar gravity would affect Earth after a very specific event, but I couldn't find the information I needed online.
I reached out to a number of institutions and individuals and was surprised when a PhD candidate from Cornell Astronomy contacted me. I told him what I needed and he said he'd think about it and get back to me. I was getting worried when he finally contacted me again and said he had some ideas, but he needed to focus on finishing the semester. I understood and worked on the story leading up to the event.
Unfortunately, I never heard from him again and had no luck finding another technical adviser. I tried again to research it on my own but the specifics I needed eluded me.
That was almost a year ago and I still have 20 to 25% of the first draft written, and will likely never finish it due to my continued decline. At least the series is currently a trilogy and in spite of some unfinished story elements for the next book it wraps up the series nicely.

Such is life...

BLAlley

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website

Why? If you're passionate about the story and treat your readers with the respect they deserve, research is simply another aspect of writing, and often fun.

For one novel I had to research the following:

Quantum mechanics
Quantum Computing
Quantum Electro-Dynamics
The Laser Interferometer Gravitational-Wave Observatory operated by Cal Tech and MIT
Logarithmic Power increases to determine an outcome
Neutrinos
Lithium 6
Particle Generators
Linear Accelerators
Cherenkov radiation

The growth stages of Mushrooms (Agaricus Bisporus)
The life cycle of Brown Rats (Rattus Norvegicus)
The life cycle and physiology of Chimpanzees (Pan Troglodyte)
Ham the Chimp (the first hominid launched into space)
Arrhythmogenic Right Ventricular Cardiomyopathy, specifically as it occurs in chimps

Human birth complications
Acute Myelogenous Leukemia and the variety of treatments, specifically the different types of Stem Cell transplants

Orlando International Airport
Flights to Orlando including the model of planes for each and which types of beer were served

Military deployments in Vietnam and Afghanistan.

Among other topics. I never felt like it was work becasue it was all to ensure the story had verisimilitude.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score

Hey, you definitely belong in this thread. Here folks come and go, mostly go, but I'd sure like to keep it alive. I don't know why folks don't stick. As for oddball opinions, mine are often at odds with the general advice or opinions. So, oh well.

I've been working on a sequel, too. Yesterday I ran into the kind of trouble I fall into when I haven't looked at a wip for a while. There are quite a few characters in the pending battle scenes, and I'd lost track of who was where. I sent Cuinn off to watch the Saxons' encampment, but then I realized he'd already been sent somewhere else, similar issues with two other characters. Fixing the chapters was a tedious stretch of listing each event, where each (named) character was located when, and what they were doing. Not the way I like to spend my writing time.

I know what you mean about the threads. People are nice, but sometimes, they have known each other a long time, and I'm just too late to the party. More likely it is just me. Never been a fitter inner.

I hope the sequel is coming along. I'm impressed that you're writing battles and Saxons and so on--HF? I've gotten into some organizational stuff lately too, reducing each chapter to a notecard so I can lay them out and sort of get a vision of the whole book.

I'm not a fitter-inner either but maybe a lot of us are oddballs on this thread, eh?

:Hug2:

WriteMinded

Derailed
Registered
Reaction score
Why? If you're passionate about the story and treat your readers with the respect they deserve, research is simply another aspect of writing, and often fun.. . I never felt like it was work becasue it was all to ensure the story had verisimilitude.
Well, I don't think I'm disrespectful of readers, just that my readers will be different than yours. Please note the tense. I haven't published anything. I was referring to scientific research, most notably the list that starts with Quantum mechanics and continues through Cherenkov radiation, when I said it made my head ache. Oww. :tongue Anyway, I don't write sci-fi; I write fantasy, and my research is very different. Still, I think of it as work, because it's the writing of the story that I love to do. I am, however, suitably impressed by your diligence and envious of the obvious pleasure you derive from studying such complicated sciences.

I hope the sequel is coming along. I'm impressed that you're writing battles and Saxons and so on--HF? I've gotten into some organizational stuff lately too, reducing each chapter to a notecard so I can lay them out and sort of get a vision of the whole book. I'm not a fitter-inner either but maybe a lot of us are oddballs on this thread, eh? :Hug2:
From one oddball to another: Sequel is finally moving into a scene I am anxious to write. A battle, yes, but the book is not about a or the war with the Saxons. This is more personal. Fantasy, set in a 5th Century Britain in which a swathe of land - that has never existed in this world - runs through its belly, home to a group of monsters - or are they, really? Previous book is in the hands of editor who likes my work.

Notecards. Always knew that was a good idea. I am such a sloppy organizer. I dash notes out in information managers and word processors and then never know where I put them, and I keep EVERYTHING - somewhere. :e2shrug: Note cards. Such a good idea.

BTW. The writing keeps me sane. Don't know how I'd live without it.

BLAlley

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
The subjects may change, but as you mentioned even a pure fantasy story will require some type of research to sell that fantasy to the reader. Most might be fictional research into the world you created (even a dragon is governed by the laws of physics and chemistry). I didn't intend to suggest you disrespect your future readers, only to remind all writers reading this that the people who pay to enjoy our work deserve our best effort.
I have to admit it saddens me anytime a writer doesn't enjoy the process. I'll also admit that particular book was fairly unique in its diversity of subjects, but I wanted t make the point no amount of research is too much of it helps the reader engage with the story.

katfeete

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunsetgrillcomic.com
Some people love doing research. Some people love planning their novel and writing outlines. Some people love drafting. Some people love putting a book together. Some people love promoting. I personally love revising, an admission that has caused a few fellow writers to regard me with the pop-eyed horror normally reserved for sheep-shagging.

Everyone has bits of the process they love and bits they drag themselves through by grinding their teeth and promising themselves chocolate/ice cream/whiskey (whiskey chocolate ice cream?) Myself, I like revising; I mostly like research and drafting; I haven’t had to promote yet but going by experience at the day job I will simultaneously hate it and be surprisingly ok at it; and I would prefer dragging my naked body over hot coals to planning (not even outlining; outlining gives me outright hives. Any planning.)

(And while I do mostly like research, it doesn’t help that many of the people putting out stuff on quantum mechanics, et al, couldn’t write their way out of a paper bag. At least twice during research for any sci-fi story I find myself remembering my chem lab teacher looking over his glasses at me and saying amiably, “you’re getting a higher grade than half this class, not because you know more chemistry, but because your lab reports are written clearly enough that I know what you know.”)

Notecards. Always knew that was a good idea. I am such a sloppy organizer. I dash notes out in information managers and word processors and then never know where I put them, and I keep EVERYTHING - somewhere. Note cards. Such a good idea.

OMG, notecards are the BOMB. I’ve gotten addicted to the multicolor half-card sizes, and I built myself a GIANT (like, the size of a twin bed) pinboard to stick them on and move them around and stare at them. I love notecards. I don’t know if they’re actually making me more organized, but at least I’m having a lot more fun. :D

Last edited:

JJ Litke

People are not wearing enough hats
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjlitke.com
Why? If you're passionate about the story and treat your readers with the respect they deserve, research is simply another aspect of writing, and often fun.

It’s nice that you like research, but I disagree that not enjoying research somehow means you aren’t passionate enough or being disrespectful to readers. Well done, thorough research takes more time and effort than skimming Wikipedia pages, and it can definitely feel more like work than fun.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Everyone has bits of the process they love and bits they drag themselves through by grinding their teeth and promising themselves chocolate/ice cream/whiskey (whiskey chocolate ice cream?)

snip

OMG, notecards are the BOMB. I’ve gotten addicted to the multicolor half-card sizes, and I built myself a GIANT (like, the size of a twin bed) pinboard to stick them on and move them around and stare at them. I love notecards. I don’t know if they’re actually making me more organized, but at least I’m having a lot more fun. :D

Because of a shared love of notecards (gotta admit, I prefer fiddling with the notecard system to actually writing) I would like to suggest, if you haven't found another source, the delight that is Hagen-Dazs Whisky Chocolate Truffle ice cream. I personally prefer the Vodka Lime, but the Whisky Chocolate Truffle is highly regarded. (Their 'Spirits' collection.)

Last edited:

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
I'm writing a hunting scene for the first time. They're hunting an in-world monster. It's a mix between a rattlesnake, a lizard, a manticore, a centipede, a few other things--and it has articulated tusks.

And they took a child along!!! Oh dear!

WriteMinded

Derailed
Registered
Reaction score
Working on the start of a battle scene. I've been looking forward to writing it. It has a humorous element. One of my guys loves to sing, and he has a great, strong voice. Once the attack begins, he bursts into song, and the blood flows.

I had a blackout disaster April 15th, just when I was almost finished filing my taxes online. When the power came back on, I discovered I'd lost at least a day's work. Some of it was tidying up the last two chapters I'd written, and I have no idea what I'd changed. Grrrr. While the electricity was off, I racked my brain trying to remember when I'd run the last backup. I used to back up my work every half hour, but I've become sloppy over the last year. Just a little reminder, folks, to run backups. It hurts to lose your hard work.

Because of a shared love of notecards (gotta admit, I prefer fiddling with the notecard system to actually writing) I would like to suggest, if you haven't found another source, the delight that is Hagen-Dazs Whisky Chocolate Truffle ice cream. I personally prefer the Vodka Lime, but the Whisky Chocolate Truffle is highly regarded. (Their 'Spirits' collection.)
I made a notecard!! I allow myself a pint of Hagen-Dazs once a week, on Saturdays. Today is the day! At 8:00 p.m., movie goes on, and the Strawberry Hagen-Dazs goes down.

Last edited:

The Black Prince

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriandeans.com
On the subject of research, I often tell the following story re my historical fiction novel published in 2017 (The Fighting Man) - a tale of love and revenge which culminates with Hastings.

I had this idea that I'd like to go to Falaise (where William the Conqueror grew up) and find in the ruins, somewhere, an interestingly shaped stone - in a staircase perhaps. Then I'd have William staring at the stone as he made the decision to invade England, and readers could go there and find the stone themselves.

So, it's a really long way from my house north of Sydney to Falaise in Normandy. As my wife and I were walking up the ramp to the ruined castle - already sensing the scraps and shards of William - my wife suddenly pointed at a sign: Falaise Castle, built 1147.

Doh!

WriteMinded

Derailed
Registered
Reaction score
Nice story, Black Prince.

I have one too. Yesterday wasn't Saturday, but I had ice cream anyway.

And now, back to the WIP. Difficult scene for me. Battle, chaos, dissension. One guy singing.

WriteMinded

Derailed
Registered
Reaction score
Talking to myself again. Oh well, I do a lot of that these days. Anyway, when I'm not engaged in brilliant conversation, I am working on an outline. Yes. An outline. No fun, but doing it anyway.