Send synopsis with query and sample chapters?

mesh138

Registered
Reaction score
I have compiled a list of five agenst who I feel might be interested in my work. I have printed up all the query letters asking for representation, and plan to send three chapters with each letter. Only question now- do I also send my synopsis (Which is 9 pages). Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Also- the agent I like the best is not accepting unsolicited queries. What is a budding writer to do?

Last edited:

mesh138

Registered
Reaction score
and...

One of the agents I am querying is a contact I made at a writer's conference. Since this is requested material, I am not e-querying first. What do you think- still send the synopsis in snailmail?

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Miss Snark's view is that a standard query includes a sample of the writing, say 5 pages.

Branwyn

Print release:Sept.1,'09
Registered
Reaction score
waylander said:
Miss Snark's view is that a standard query includes a sample of the writing, say 5 pages.

I did the same thing after reading what Miss Snark suggested. A query with five pages even though the guidelines didn't ask for it. I agree with Miss Snark, if they like it,they're not going to pass.

scfirenice

professional multitasker
Registered
Reaction score
I would never send what they don't ask for either on their webpage or your reference book, but then I usually play it by the book. I agree with Baywitch that they probably wouldn't pass and if they are that big of a jerk TO pass b/c you sent more, then they aren't for you anyway. There WAS an interview with Donald Maas and he said if he got more then he asked for he trashed it fearing the person couldn't follow directions or hadn't bothered to do their research....take it with the grain of salt.

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
scfirenice said:
I would never send what they don't ask for either on their webpage or your reference book, but then I usually play it by the book. I agree with Baywitch that they probably wouldn't pass and if they are that big of a jerk TO pass b/c you sent more, then they aren't for you anyway. There WAS an interview with Donald Maas and he said if he got more then he asked for he trashed it fearing the person couldn't follow directions or hadn't bothered to do their research....take it with the grain of salt.

Hmmm. Donald Maass just asked for my first 50 pages. He didn't mention a synopsis, but I was going to send one anyway. Maybe I better not.... thanks for the tip!