No reply

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have a book of short-shorts out. I knew there wasn't much demand for them but I've had a couple of nibbles anyway. A half dozen of the places (small presses) it's out at have had it for over 200 days. I inquired about it at about 180 days but only one of them answered me. Do you think that means it's a "no" and they just don't plan to tell me, or what?

Last edited:

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm skilled at parroting what people who actually know have said many times: If you receive no reply within a reasonable period of time following a nudge, presume it's a rejection and move on. When you get a contract, contact them to withdraw the manuscript from consideration without mentioning the unconscionable length of time they had it.

Maryn, suddenly wanting a cracker

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
There's been unanswered nudges in my time. It hurts, I know. I just nudged a really great place for my own work. They requested the full 3 months ago. I waited till the 3 month mark like a good little girl, then gently nudged her on exactly when I gave her the full.

Well the day came and went, then the next.... I sweated it out. A week went by and I was like that's it, it's over, move on. I felt a little hurt (I know I should never take it personal, but the full ms. was requested.) But I braced myself for my decline. I can take it. I've had over a years worth on this one, and finally she got back to me a week later. I thought, wow...if I didn't hear back on the nudge within say 3 to 5 business days, I would never hear back at that point. It was exactly a week. She was vacationing for the holidays. And she showed an interest and was waiting to hear back on other editors. So more wait. I didn't expect more waiting. I just expected a non-response. I gave up before the week was up.

So my point is, there are times when they get back to you later rather than sooner. It doesn't mean they are not interested. But I would agree with Maryn here, if it's no response in a reasonable time frame, say a month tops? I'm not sure why they would take that long to respond if they were still interested.

Sometimes, ya just gotta write them off and move on. Even though what you're selling isn't in much of a demand, there are other places to send to I'm sure. Just keep looking, keep researching...you'll get there eventually Fruity. Perseverance is key for every writer.

Good luck with it. Hope you hear something soon.

Paramite Pie

Registered
Reaction score
I read on Query Shark that if you send your work by mail then they will reply by mail. If you don't send a stamped envelope with your address on it with your submission they generally won't mail you a reply - especially not a rejection.

If you want a reply by email then consider sending your work by email. The downside of this is that will skim their inbox and read maybe a handful of the 100s of emails they received that day. Most email submissions will be deleted after a quick skim due to the sheer volume of submissions - without any reply. Posted manuscripts will always get more attention.

So if you got no reply it may simply be one of those reasons. Did they request your work or did you send it unsolicited? That can be a big factor as well.

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, everyone.

Paramite Pie, I've sent by both email and snail mail, and both the full on request and not, when the guidelines said to.

On duotrope, I notice some of the ones I've submitted to are responding to people after even a full year. I guess I'll just keep going, don't know what else to do.

Now I have more stories and wonder if I should add them, for future submission, or just withdraw all of the book length submissioins and just try for reprints in more journals and anthologies instead (most of the stories have been published in journals and anthologies).

Bah. I'd self publish it but I am far too lazy. :p

Last edited:

Paramite Pie

Registered
Reaction score

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
If you want a reply by email then consider sending your work by email. The downside of this is that will skim their inbox and read maybe a handful of the 100s of emails they received that day. Most email submissions will be deleted after a quick skim due to the sheer volume of submissions - without any reply. Posted manuscripts will always get more attention.

You're being very unfair to the people who read queries.

Queries are not given a "quick skim" and then deleted. They are read properly, and are only rejected if the receiving agent doesn't think she can sell them, or if the receiving publisher can't see a way to make the books concerned a commercial success.

I've run plenty of slush piles in my time, and can guarantee that this is how it works in the majority of publishers and agents.

Hmmm... this could be the problem, as most publishers will not accept short stories or poems that have been previously published elsewhere:(. First Rights in publishing is a pretty big deal for many publishers!

I've not read the article you linked to, but suspect you're a bit confused here.

Publications which accept short stories usually won't accept pieces which have already been published before: you're right in saying that in this case, first rights are important. But these publications don't usually publish collections: they publish single stories by a selection of different authors.

If a writer is hoping to find a trade publisher for a collection of her own short stories then having had some of those stories published before can actually be a benefit. If the markets they sold into are good ones it shows that there's a readership for the stories; and it can be used as a marketing hook, which is always useful.

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
I've tried selling my collection of poems. And tried it with my short stories too. If it's the whole collection, yeah, I can see a publisher not wanting it. But if you have a mix, some published, some new to offer, they'll still consider it.

I had a publisher interested in my poem collection. He said he loved it, but they were getting too repetitive, who know? I was hoping no one would ever catch on, I'm like a broken record.

Anyway, he told me he loved all the published ones, of course and the ones he pointed out that were weak, were the ones that weren't published, go figure, right? I pushed every one of my poems out there, some took and some got wasted. He came to me and asked if I could draw up a new batch, yeah....like sure, right away dude. No prob. Not. I told him I was more into my story writing now and I couldn't just drop everything to write up 10 to 20 new poems.

I'm not even really sure where this guy was coming from. I mean, he was from a reputable publisher, but what was he thinking when he said if you could just write a batch more, like I'm some robot printing company of my own. That collection, I think I had a little under 100 poems. That took me 6 years to write, dammit! Sorry I can't just pump them out like that, it doesn't work that way.

Anyway, long story short, I passed and never looked back. I got really turned off when he said all that. This stuff is a lot trickier than one full-length story. Like short stories, you need to think of different stuff to mix it up. You can't just pull it out of thin air, you have to come up with a new story idea and everything. Same thing with poems. With one fat story, you're just following along with what you wrote.

So that was my experience. I'm not sure if it's necessary or not, just thought I'd let you know. Again, collections are more difficult for several reasons. You can have a running theme thoroughout, but they still all have to be different stories or poems. I always have trouble with short story collections, am I the only one out there that glazes over the ones I don't like? and only read the interesting ones. Isn't that bad to do? I can't believe how fickle I am. I'm open to new ideas, obviously, that's why I'm here. But when I read a few lines, or a paragraph or even a few pages, or the first half of the story. Once it starts getting predictable, repetitive (there's that word again) and just not really fresh to read, it's a turn off. At least for me it is. I'm only speaking of my own opinions and experiences.

I wish you all the best of luck on this Fruitsy. I don't remember coming across any of your work. But you sure are a clever word artist in the Office, ya know what I'm sayin, Miss Orange Banana? You can peel off some silly, clever and just wonderfully cool writing in one shot of a post. Like Bruce Lee, done in 60 seconds. So anyway, I have a good feeling this work is pretty rock solid stuff here. You have every right to forge through. So don't let the non-responders get you down.

It's not worth it. Some you come across, you wouldn't want as a publisher anyway. Like I said, just keep moving it forward, keep active subs going as long as possible and always write new things in the wings while you're waiting. Just keep the steady course going, you're bound to hit on that iceberg eventually.

Keep us posted.